We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Natalie
Devoted September 2018

Dress Shopping Alone

Natalie, on March 13, 2018 at 12:22 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 64
Saved Save
I have an appointment at a bridal shop this Saturday, I am going alone. Has anyone else shopped for their dress alone? Is it as awkward and sad as I am imagining it to be?

64 Comments

• Bailey
    Super March 2019
    Bailey ·
    • Flag
    I went alone my for my second appointment, and it was not bad at all. While I would have preferred my mom/ MOH to be there, weather made it unrealistic. Regardless of who is there or not, if you find the one you’ll know it!
  • Jessica
    VIP October 2018
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    I went alone. Tried on three dresses and left the store in half an hour. My consultant was amazing and she pulled three dresses for me to try that I actually liked. I didn't love the experience per se, but I don't think having friends and family there would make it any better. As a matter of fact, I hate shopping, so the quicker the experience, the better for me. Smiley smile
  • Anna
    Expert June 2019
    Anna ·
    • Flag
    I've gone with friends 4 times and alone 3 times. I am 100% sure that if I started alone, I would have found a dress by now. All of the opinions really confuse me, like a "too many cooks in the kitchen" type of thing. Going alone allows you to listen to yourself. You can have friends on standby to send them pictures of any contenders if you're looking to purchase that day. Good luck and have fun!
  • Forestwed
    Master May 2018
    Forestwed ·
    • Flag
    I went alone. I wasn’t sad at all. I liked it, I didn’t want to feel pressured and only wanted to pick a dress based on my feelings.
  • Jennifer M
    Devoted April 2018
    Jennifer M ·
    • Flag

I went alone. I ended up being the only customer in the store for 99% of my visit. I picked dresses that I liked based on MY preferences, not anyone else's. I found two I fell in love with. I picked the one that I liked best.

Afterwards, when I showed the pictures of the two I liked best to people, a large majority picked the dress I decided not to get. It was pretty, but didn't feel like me. Had I taken people with me, I may have been swayed to get a dress I only kinda liked instead of the one I really really liked.

I wasn't sad or lonely. I had a really good time. And it seemed to help having just the salon employees there to offer opinions. They didn't know me and wouldn't base their opinions on how they think I want them to respond. They answered me honestly.

• Megan
    Dedicated September 2018
    Megan ·
    • Flag

I went alone a few weeks back... the only part I struggled with was that the consultant had two appointments at once and definitely seemed to give the other girl much more attention than me (she had an entourage of 6 people.)

The nice part was that same girl's entourage started chatting with me and fluffing my trains and were super nice.

• Tara
    Savvy April 2018
    Tara ·
    • Flag
    I brought Moh and 1 bridesmaid to appointment. Owner pulled the dress that I went with right before I was planning to leave. Wouldn't have mattered had I been alone. Went to first fitting alone, just employees to help me, with no distractions.
  • FutureLadyH
    Devoted May 2018
    FutureLadyH ·
    • Flag
    I went to my third appointment alone. I would have preferred to have someone with me but the salon was having a sale that day, so I pushed through and went alone. I did video chat with one of my bridesmaids while I was at the salon and I thought that was a really good way to have her in the room virtually. My consultant also helped by taking pictures that I can send to her, etc.
  • T
    Just Said Yes October 2018
    Torrie ·
    • Flag
    Where is it located. Maybe I can go with you.
  • char
    Expert September 2018
    char ·
    • Flag

I went by myself. It wasn't awkward and sad. It was a little different though, because my actual dress was special order only, and I was just trying on similar dresses in that brand so we could be sure of the sizing.

• LizzyG
    Devoted September 2018
    LizzyG ·
    • Flag

Its not sad or awkward at all. I went to a few appointments alone and loved every minute of it. I am also one of those people who gets very anxious in social situations so having a group with me would have just made it worse. I went with my mom one other time, my future MIL and SIL another time, and the other times were with one or two girlfriends. Going by your self can allow you the opportunity to see what you like and what you feel good in, and with some luck you will be able to narrow down styles/designers so that when you bring your friends/family with you, you can have them help you choose between 2 or 3 that you really like.

• J
    Just Said Yes November 2018
    Jean ·
    • Flag
    Although I did have one person with me each of the two times I went, I now realize that going alone would not have been too bad like I thought it would. You have to remember if you have a good consultant they see brides and dresses everyday. Their honest opinions are very helpful because they can see what looks best. Like another person said, they will give their honest opinion and not try to sway you one way or the other. I found that to be the most helpful. I found that both Consultants I worked with love their jobs and only wanted what was best for me. I narrowed it down to one dress from one location and another dress from the second location and honestly it was their reaction to seeing me in a dress that helped me make my decision, not my friend.
  • Daria
    VIP January 2019
    Daria ·
    • Flag

I did mine alone. At first it was nice to not have all the extra advice and opinions. At the end it was a little tough because I was kind of torn between a couple of options and really just needed someone to tell me what to do. The sales lady was no help with that. If you can arrange to have someone available on facetime, that might be a good alternative. If not, don't sweat it. I went to two stores and took pictures, then went back for the one that I loved the most.

• HarrisEverAfter
    Dedicated September 2018
    HarrisEverAfter ·
    • Flag

I went to shopping for my gown alone. At first, I had anxiety but the sales rep made me feel comfortable and provided great feedback. I ended up finding my dress.

• S
    Devoted June 2018
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    I am in the same boat but, thinking of going by myself to look and that way there is no pressure. I would love for my MOH to come but she lives so far away. I am excited to start looking. Good luck in your hunt!
  • Tanya
    Expert May 2018
    Tanya ·
    • Flag

I went dress shopping alone. It made it easier to find the dress that made ME happy, not being swayed to getting a dress that fulfilled other people's expectations.

FH reassured me that he wanted to marry me. He couldn't care less if I was wearing a potato sack.

Bring a bottle of water with you. Getting dehydrated during the process will make you discouraged.

Have fun, be open to ALL styles and be true to YOU!

• Heather
    Devoted June 2018
    Heather ·
    • Flag

I think it might actually be a very positive experience for you! You are going to get something you love and won't have to deal with everyone else having their opinions!

• M
    Expert May 2018
    Monica ·
    • Flag
    I've gone alone before and didn't think anything of it. I was super excited and my mood stayed that way the whole appointment. It was solely on me and it gave me time to go through different styles without everyone's opinion put on me right away. I think it can be an advantage. And if you happen to find a good style that looks good on you or a particular dress that you think could be a contender then bring your party back with you! Smiley smile
  • J
    Beginner June 2018
    Janna ·
    • Flag
    Not awkward! You are able to make YOUR OWN decision and not regret letting peer pressure sway you
  • Natalie
    Devoted September 2018
    Natalie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Haha, I hate shopping too, and an so critical of myself! But thinking about it, being alone won't pressure me into a dress they may like, and I don't! Thank you!!!

Comment on this discussion

Related articles