Tina
Savvy August 2019

Dress shopping alone

Tina , on November 21, 2018 at 9:13 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 24
Saved Save
Hello ladies! I want to try on dresses but I just don’t think or feel like I need anyone there, seeing me try on a dress. Is it weird me being alone trying on a dress? Did anyone do it alone? What do you think?

24 Comments

• Marissa
    Expert August 2019
    Marissa ·
    My first dress appointment I went alone. It was nice to figure out what style I liked best without any extra input or influence. For my second appointment, once I was sure what I was looking for, I brought others.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·

I did it! Before I went on a trip with my family, I went to two shops by myself and loved it. I knew what style I wanted. Plus, I wanted to get used to the experience and find my voice before getting input from other people. Happy with that decision. I did go with other people twice, but ultimately found the dresses on my own. I took my mom back after I ordered it so we could do the champagne and "I said yes" sign holding. Totally fine. Go for it, Tina!

• Yee
    Just Said Yes March 2019
    Yee ·
    I definitely think you can do it alone, not weird at all. Only thing you might need to consider is you'll have to have the stylist that's working with you take photos for you and maybe help you get in and out of dresses. Besides input, that's what my companions did when I went to try on. Totally doable, just a couple of points that you might not have considered!
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    I went by myself. Found one I loved, two I thought , either of these a different mood, but would be happy to wear. Brought my mom and FI a couple days later. They really liked, my #2 and #3, but loved my #1. I knew a lot about gowns, and hated it the few times when someone asked me to shop with them ( fine with that), and then added 3-4 people. Too many opinions, bride always confused, never found a dress in a group that they did not change their mind about. And it seemed the max I wanted was me and 1 other person. When my friend got sick , I just went to my appt alone. So glad I did.
  • Bianca
    Super August 2019
    Bianca ·
    I’m going to try on dresses alone this week. I’ve been several times before with people and I felt way too much pressure to please everyone. I think going alone can provide some good time to really know what I want.

Good luck! I’m sure you’ll enjoy the alone time.
  • Nicole
    Devoted January 2019
    Nicole ·
    I went alone the first time and found what I thought would be my wedding dress, then I went shopping and found my second dress, then I went shopping with my FH and found 2 more dresses! So in total I have 3 dresses for 2 weddings and an reception 🤦🏽‍♀️ But I enjoyed going by myself for the most part accept when I wasn’t sure if I was making the right decision and needed additional advice... but I don’t think it’s weird at all
  • Eamsee
    Super June 2019
    Eamsee ·

The first time I went dress shopping, I went with just my mother and future mother in law. I have always disliked shopping for clothes and I knew nothing about dresses. The main objective of the appointment was for me to try one of each style to see what fit worked best. Every single dress I came out in they started taking a million photos, even before I got a chance to look in the mirror myself. Then even after I nixed all ballgowns, they started pulling the most ridiculous poufy monstrosities that they wanted to see me in. The whole thing was very overwhelming. I am glad that I did that one appointment with them, for them, as I know it meant a lot to them both, but every time I went to an appointment following that, I went alone. It was so much better to be able to focus completely on what I wanted, liked, and disliked without having a whole mess of other opinions flying around. If you have a close relationship with you mother and/or sisters, friends, future mother in law, etc., I do suggest bringing them to the first appointment, just because it will mean a lot to them. The majority of mothers dream of the day when they see their daughter in a wedding gown for the first time. After that, I personally feel flying solo is the best.

• Courtney
    Dedicated August 2019
    Courtney ·
    I have gone alone and with people- I loved dress shopping alone. Less stressful and I didn’t have to worry about any other opinions. I did feel weird at first and did a lot of research about going alone. Once I got there, it felt totally fine and I would recommend it
  • earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    Yes, for my first wedding I went dress shopping alone (custom made my dress for this wedding). I preferred it that way so I could take my time and focus on what I really liked or didn't like without pressure from anyone else. Once I narrowed the selection down to my top 3 dresses then I brought my best friend to help me choose.
  • Sunshine
    Expert January 2019
    Sunshine ·
    I agree that it’s totally fine to go alone! Then you can just do your thing and decide for yourself rather than having others’ judgment or simply not having other people staring at you lol
  • Alyssa
    Master December 2019
    Alyssa ·
    I decided to do cupcakes for a tasting because I was feeling bad about “cutting everyone out of” the dress lol

i figured the family can vote or whatever that way they’re included in something

however, they’re definitely not invited to things that I already want what I want for

for example my dress
    im not including anyone because I don’t want their opinions: I want what will make me happy and I definitely don’t want to risk getting self conscious about what I like because of comments from months prior to the wedding

you do you; all the way

its YOUR wedding

i think its better because that way your dress gets a wow factor from everyone!
  • Asia
    Dedicated December 2018
    Asia ·
    I went with my mom on my first appointment as I was preparing to move to a different state and was running out of time to look for dresses. I wanted to give my mom that experience before I left, she cried and smiled a ton.

The second appointment I had once I moved was by myself as I didn’t know anyone aside from DH. I might’ve had an advantaged as I knew going to the bridal shop I wanted the dress they showed on their Instagram.

I think if you want to give your friends and family the dress shopping experience, I say go for it. If you’re someone who likes shopping alone and doesn’t want anyone’s opinions swaying your decision or the hassle of everyone being there, go by yourself.
  • Kim
    Devoted March 2019
    Kim ·
    I went alone, and decided on a dress alone. Better without the other opinions!
  • Janae
    Devoted June 2019
    Janae ·
    View Quoted Comment

I did the same thing and totally second this. I wanted to know what I wanted before getting the opinions of others.

• Candace
    Devoted May 2019
    Candace ·

I took my entire bridal party (five people) to my first and only time dress shopping...

I kind of wish I'd gone alone or just brought my MOH. Everyone was so emotional, and I'm not typically an emotional person, I'm more analytical. So while I'm looking at myself (trying to get over the "holy crap I'm in a wedding dress" freak out) analyzing my dress, I ear 5 people all clammering their opinions too. It was kind of overwhelming, but I still found a dress that day.

• Kristin
    Savvy February 2021
    Kristin ·
    You are not alone.....
    i went shopping and didn’t have the crew. I plan on having a reveal shopping day, once I say yes to the dress!
  • Tina
    Savvy August 2019
    Tina ·
    I’m just gonna go alone. I just rather not have friends and family judging me. Or tell me I look good in the dress and I really don’t look good.
  • Porterpoppin
    VIP March 2019
    Porterpoppin ·

I don't see anything wrong with going alone! I'm the type of person who would go by myself lol but I took my mom, MIL and my 8 year old daughter the first time and my mom, MOH, and daughter the second time. I don't see how people go with a bunch of people

• Dedicated March 2019
    ·
    I am easily swayed in my decisions when my mom or sister are with me. I have a simple style & they like bling and fluff and like rhe dramatic things. I took my fiance the first time aling with my mom, the 2nd time just my mom, & I took all their ideas and picked out my own...by myself...no regrets😅 I know ky husband will love it
  • Rissachu
    Dedicated August 2019
    Rissachu ·

I went alone and face-timed my mother (she's in a different state) when I found a dress I liked.

Comment on this discussion