A
Just Said Yes September 2018

Dress Panic!!

Alexandria, on September 10, 2017 at 9:49 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 37
Saved Save

FH and I are getting married at my parent's farm, the theme is "country chic," so no burlap, rust, or Mason jars, rather lots of whitewash, flowers, and dark stained wood.

Before we were engaged (but when I knew it was coming soon) a bridal store in town went out of business and was selling samples at $250 each. I ended up buying 2 for $400. One that my family loved, but that I didn't like because of beading on bust (this has since been removed) and one that I loved at first but now.. idk. My family is very frugal and spending $$$ b/c you love something is foreign to them.

Neither of these dresses are what I had always imagined. My parents are insistent that I don't spend more money on dresses (even though I paid for them), as in their eyes I have 2 perfectly good dresses already. I feel very pressured to wear a dress that I don't absolutely love.

Do l quit looking and suck it up? &

What are your opinions of the dresses I have?

37 Comments

• A
    Alexandria ·
    • Flag

Dress 2 before removing beads..

• MrsCohen
    Master July 2017
    MrsCohen ·
    • Flag

I think the first dress is beautiful on you! Dress 2 is pretty, but in Dress 1 you look like a bride!

ETA: But if you don't love either one, don't wear them. See if you can sell them and buy a new one, especially since you have enough time to order one and have it come in.

• FilleNouvelle
    Expert April 2018
    FilleNouvelle ·
    • Flag

So I obviously don't know you and these are gorgeous dresses, but I think I agree with you? Something just feels a bit off...I think maybe it's that these dresses don't seem as youthful as you?

I really think you need to love whatever it is you're going to wear!

• A
    Alexandria ·
    • Flag

Realizing the pictures may be awful quality on here so link to imgur: https://imgur.com/a/X9MYW

• LillyBean17
    Master October 2017
    LillyBean17 ·
    • Flag

I personally like neither of those dresses on you. They are not flattering whatsoever. It's your money, spend it on what you want. Get yourself a dress where you can look back in photos and think, "man I really loved my dress!".

• A
    Alexandria ·
    • Flag

A little background... I have lately been imagining myself in something A-line, with a lacy unqiue or vintage looking bodice, a natural waist, and a tulle skirt, with sleeves either off shoulder, capped, or v-neck. My MOH is insistent that we go to boutiques to try on what I'm envisioning and make sure I actually like it on me.. but I hate feeling pressured by salespeople to spend thousands on a dress.

• Jacks
    Master September 2019
    Jacks ·
    • Flag

Your dresses are pretty, but if you want a third dress, maybe think about buying it yourself?

• Jaimee
    Dedicated August 2018
    Jaimee ·
    • Flag

It's always up to you... you can always sell the ones you have because you got them for cheap. I spent a lot of money on my dress, ALOT. I think if you don't love them then go try more on and you may find something you LOVE then that will help you decide.

• A
    Alexandria ·
    • Flag

@Jacks, So far I have bought both dresses myself. I can buy myself another, but will face my mother's wrath in doing so. "Irresponsible with money, my wedding dress was $50, etc. etc."

• Jennifer
    Super May 2018
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

I love dress one and see it as country chic!

• FilleNouvelle
    Expert April 2018
    FilleNouvelle ·
    • Flag

@OP I went to two boutiques myself and was never once pressured to make a purchase. I feel like that's a bit of a misconception.

• FutureMrsN14
    Super July 2018
    FutureMrsN14 ·
    • Flag

I like both dresses, and the second one better without the beading, but I do agree they maybe don't fit the image you created. I would go look at other dresses and if you find something you love more, try to sell these!

• Malwen107
    VIP October 2018
    Malwen107 ·
    • Flag

I like the first one, but I can tell in the pictures you don't love either, and THAT is what matters.

• Melissa
    Expert October 2018
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

Out of these two I prefer number one. Just make sure your comfortable and happy.

• LanaKane
    Super November 2017
    LanaKane ·
    • Flag

I prefer the second dress on you but I'm not sure it goes with your theme. The first one fits the setting better

• Danielle
    Devoted June 2018
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

I love dress one on you!

• MizzzCara
    Master June 2017
    MizzzCara ·
    • Flag

I think they both look great on you but if you don't like them and are comfortable buying a new dress, I would do that. I'd try selling those and continue looking.

• LibbyLane
    Super July 2018
    LibbyLane ·
    • Flag

You can definitely make some money off of those dresses if you were to try and sell them. Go to a boutique and try on dress, but don't let them pressure you if you don't want to buy something then, because there are plenty of online options as well.

• Amanda
    Dedicated May 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

You look beautiful in both of them. I love dress #1. Agree, you can try to sell them and get one that you love. Good luck Smiley smile

• Sara P.
    VIP October 2018
    Sara P. ·
    • Flag

If you don't feel like a bride in either dress, try to sell them. Maybe that will help your parents feel better about the money. And if not, let them talk. It's not their money. Regardless of what you decide, I think you look beautiful in both dresses but I think the first one is better IMO b

Comment on this discussion