Emily
Dedicated October 2018

Dress looks completely different

Emily, on August 24, 2018 at 3:16 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 11
Saved Save
I ordered my dress in June. We’re getting married Oct. 27. I went Wednesday for first alterations appt. It was the first time I tried the dress on since ordering. It looked horrible and nothing like the sample dress although it was the same dress in the same size as the sample. I am heartbroken and am now looking to exchange for a different dress. I tried on about ten more that night and am going back tomorrow to keep looking. Any advice? I’m so stressed there is only two months to the wedding!

11 Comments

• WED18
    July 1993
    WED18 ·
    • Flag

Do you have photos of you in the sample and in your dress? Does it just not fit the same? Many times alterations are needed and can make a huge difference in the look.

• Mandi
    VIP May 2016
    Mandi ·
    • Flag

What don't you like about your dress? Keep in mind, samples are tried on by many people so they may be stretched, worn, etc. Your dress is brand new and once altered properly, will likely look even better than the sample did!

• HayMrsO
    Master October 2018
    HayMrsO ·
    • Flag

What don't you like about it? Have you put it up next to the sample you tried on? Not sure what would cause them to be so different.

• Emily
    Dedicated October 2018
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    It was like it was cut defectively. Because when I tried on the sample, they pointed out the alterations they would do (very few but most of them were because I’m petite) and they were completely different when I went back. A lot more alterations than before. I’ve lost some weight but it was tight in places and loose in others. My mom and sister agreed it looked completely different. It was just bizarre and the list of things they would have to do just kept growing and growing. I felt awful in it and started crying. Because the sample fit fine (no clips were used) and required extremely little altering. But it is a Vera wang dress so I don’t know how the quality control would be like this
  • Emily
    Dedicated October 2018
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    All I know to do at this point is look for another dress. But I feel like I compare everything to that one now.
  • C
    Master July 2018
    Cuoghi ·
    • Flag
    I dont think needing alterations in a brand new dress based on a sample dress that had probably has been tried on by 100 times is a reason to buy a new dress.
  • CarrieAndBert
    Expert June 2018
    CarrieAndBert ·
    • Flag
    Can you just buy the sample dress? This close you are probably gonna have to buy off the rack anyway. I would ask.
  • Rachel
    Super May 2019
    Rachel ·
    • Flag

Do you have photos of you in the sample vs you in the dress you ordered? I would also maybe look at taking your dress somewhere else for alterations. I'm not saying this did this at all, but I've read the some places purposefully order the wrong size to drive up the alteration costs. Also, a sample is definitely going to fit differently, it's stretched out and the fabric is worn so it will hang differently.

And you'd be surprised what tailors/seamstresses can do. If you have photos of what you looked like in the sample, you could bring that somewhere else for alterations and I bet they can get you loving your dress again. It may cost a bit of money, but it will be cheaper than if you bought a new one now.

• Emily
    Dedicated October 2018
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    So I unfortunately had to spend all last weekend at the bridal store, but ended up choosing a different dress. I am so much happier! I did have doubts after my first appointment and now that I chose something different I do not at all. It needs very minimal alterations where the other one needed a lot! I was worried about it getting here in time, but they said it should be here next week at the latest. The first time I went was on a busy Saturday and I made the mistake of taking 5 people with me. It was very overwhelming. Thankfully this time it was just my mom and I and I’m very happy with my decision.
  • Jane
    Expert May 2019
    Jane ·
    • Flag

Emily I just saw your post and glad to hear that you have found a new dress and that everything has worked out great... enjoy your wedding

• Emily
    Dedicated October 2018
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    This is the new one!! Smiley smile

Dress looks completely different 1

Comment on this discussion