Caryn
Dedicated October 2019

Dress Arrival and Nightmares

Caryn, on March 8, 2019 at 6:04 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 9
Saved Save
I’ve seen others on here talking about wedding nightmares, and I kept thinking “I’m calm, I won’t have any of those!” Well... yesterday I got the call that my dress has arrived at the store, yay! I’ll need to drive 4+ hours to see it, so I planned a trip for next weekend.

Well, queue the nightmares! I had one last night where I went to the bridal shop to try it on, but they kept bringing me the wrong one! They’d give me other peoples dresses or dresses that were weird colors for a bride, like neon green. I was arguing with store clerk after store clerk and getting so angry.

I guess this is when the stressing about every little thing starts for me... here we go! When did you start getting stressed out? Any tips for chilling out during the planning process? I’m guessing it will only get worse as it gets closer. I’m still 7 months out!

9 Comments

• Missy
    Dedicated May 2019
    Missy ·
    • Flag
    Lol I def have had some nightmares. I had one that I am walking down the aisle and my dress literally falls to pieces off my body. I had another that no one shows up. Lol I think they’re less indicative of stress, and more that we worry our day won’t be perfect. Take them with a grain of salt and imagine how amazing your special day will be 😊 as for stress... I was getting super stressed too but then I realized the whatever happens, happens, and all be can do is plan our best.
  • VIP September 2019
    ·
    • Flag
    I also started feeling increased stress since getting the email and phone call my dress had arrived. I also have a 4 hour drive to get my dress. I'm planning bong a trip end of March. I'm not having nightmares but having insomnia. I'm dreading it wont fit 😧
  • MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    • Flag

I didn't really get too stressed out but I definitely had wedding nightmares. Mine were mostly revolving around things that I couldn't see until the day off since we planned an all inclusive DW. I was SO relieved everything at the venue was perfect.

• Ashley
    Dedicated August 2019
    Ashley ·
    • Flag
    Lol I started having wedding nightmares about 160 days from the wedding. We’re now down to 147 days and I’ve had about 3 nightmares! I remember one I forgot to sleep the day before and I was found outside taking a nap on a hay bale😂 my husband woke me up an brought me back to the venue....the wedding was about 10 minutes from being over, I slept through the whole reception!

Another time, I had some uninvited guests show up and brideszilla came out to security. I was still wearing a mic from our vows and the guests heard everything🤦🏽‍♀️ To top it off, more than half of the invited guests didn’t show up. We had so much food and space for maybe 50 people it was depressing!
    My last dream, which is why I’m awake now, FH and I forgot to get married beforehand so we couldn’t sign the marriage license. For some reason, my wedding shoes were way too big and I somehow missed going to hair and makeup.
    I know our day will be amazing but it’s funny how these nightmares come up every now and then! Don’t put too much thought into them, I’m sure everybody’s day will be as close to perfect as possible!😁
  • maryann
    Expert June 2019
    maryann ·
    • Flag

I am here for the comments cause I need to figure out how to calm down also... Neon green dress wow....

• Amanda
    Master December 2020
    Amanda ·
    • Flag
    My tip eould be take breaks! Depending on your stress level and knowing yourself, take some breaks whether it be a day of absolutely no wedding talk or anything or a week or even a month (depending on your timeline). Have a spa day, just lay down all day watching tv, whatever that lets your body relax and decompress making your brain not work hard! Also, if you didn't have a date yet (so for other readers) then have a long engagement where you can take your time on everything. A.k.a get everything done before the last 2 weeks or so of your wedding so it's just happiness the days leading up to it!
  • Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    • Flag
    This might be the WORST “advice” possible but bear with me:
    when my dress came in, it came in the wrong color. Your nightmare basically came true for me. Right dress, “moscato” skirt instead of ivory. I was nervous going in, just had this gut feeling and then I saw the dress hanging in my try-on room and my heart sank to the floor. I put it on anyway, even though I was literally shaking bc I was so distraught. ...BUT, it felt good to get into it. It was the wrong color, but, everything else was everything I dreamed of, and the fit was perfect, and it was super comfortable. The color actually had some beautiful features— it made the lace detailing stand out at the waist where it gets lost in the ivory version. But, it was NOT my dress and although it and I felt very beautiful, I didn’t feel like a bride and it didn’t feel like my wedding dress. I had shopped late, and I was very concerned that there wouldn’t be time to exchange it so I was trying to push myself into a frame of mind where I could learn to love it, and be cool with whatever happened.

Anyway to get to the point :
    your nightmare came true for me, but still: EVERYTHING worked out. My try-on appointment had been in the evening, and apparently just after the manufacturer had closed for the evening, as the consultant tried to call but it was too late. I spent the night in a sea of uncertainty, but when I called the bridal shop the next day to check up they were like “yeah absolutely, it’s all taken care of and your correct dress should be here within 2 weeks” — and MY perfectly perfect dress was there basically in one week after I had waited 4 months for it the first time around. It was a manufacturer error and they were ON IT.
    All that stress for nothing !

my greater point is: honestly, things will go wrong. We can’t control everything. But we can make the most of what we have. We can fix things. We can make plans and then new plans. We want everything to go perfectly but at the end of the day, every perfect wedding only relies on one thing: a happy marriage. Try not to lose sight of that. When things get stressful , try to take a minute to remember your partner, the meaning of all this, and what actually matters.

I found myself very stressed in the week leading up to the wedding, but the night before, this intense calm came over me. Just an “I’ve done everything I can, it’s out of my hands now, and whatever happens happens and it will all be fine”...I knew that I had hired great vendors who I had all the trust in the world in, and it made me able to just let go.

• Sophie
    Super December 2020
    Sophie ·
    • Flag
    My dress doesn’t come in until November. I have a black one being custom made and I’m terrified that it won’t be everything I’ve wanted.
  • Caryn
    Dedicated October 2019
    Caryn ·
    • Flag

Thanks everyone for letting me know I'm not alone. I'm not actually stressed about my dress, that's why the nightmare was so weird. If for some reason the dress is wrong or doesn't fit, I have time to fix it. At the end of the day, I don't care if I marry my FH in jeans and T-shirt as long as I get to marry him! Smiley heart

I'm also trying to finish my MBA while working full-time and planning a wedding, so relaxing doesn't happen that often. Even when I try to take a day off from everything, the nagging and worrying creeps in, like I should be getting ahead on homework or accomplishing a wedding task today. I guess I'll keep trying to take a day off from wedding talk and homework.

Comment on this discussion