Mina
Super June 2015

"Dream" Dress vs Actual Dress

Mina, on May 15, 2014 at 10:29 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 46
Saved Save

Did you end up with a dress that was different than the one you dreamt of? How do they compare?

My original "dream" dress was an Amsale Reese dress that is discontinued, but I'm sure I could have had made or could have paid thousands for. I didn't want to spend thousands on a dress (not my priority), so I actually ended up with a DB Galina dress that is going to be perfect for my beach wedding....at a FRACTION of the price of an Amsale.

46 Comments

• Emily
    Master May 2014
    Emily ·

I have an Amsale! You're right, it was thousands. But it was my dream dress.

Both of your picks are beautiful - your "dream" dress and your actual dress.

• KM
    Master March 2015
    KM ·

Oh my gahhh...we have the same dream dress!

• Mina
    Super June 2015
    Mina ·

@Emily - Thank you! I wish I could have swung an Amsale (they're so gorgeous and modern)!

@Kirsten - You've got amazing taste

• Barbara
    Master September 2014
    Barbara ·

When I was looking at dresses, I loved both of those! The one I got is similar in some ways to the Reese, but sometimes I wish I could have two and get something like the Galina-- its so elegant and sophisticated

This is my dress (but not me).

• Caylin C.
    Master August 2015
    Caylin C. ·

I ended up buying the dress that I had been drooling over for years.

• SunshineJenn
    Master August 2014
    SunshineJenn ·

Mina are we twins fo realz? I also have a Galina! Not that one but a Galina nonetheless!

• ESC061315
    Dedicated June 2015
    ESC061315 ·

I'm coming to terms with the fact that I may not find my dream dress in stores around me. I'm in love with Maggie Sottero Reese but the two stores that carry Maggie Sottero do not have Reese in stock. I'd really like to try it on first. I'll see what I can find when I go shopping in June but disappointed I won't be able to try on the one dress I really love.

• Brittany
    Super July 2014
    Brittany ·

This was my dream dress but it would have been about $1600 plus shipping from the UK. My budget was $500. My actual dress is a similar shape the v is a bit deeper and not a crossover, the skirt will be a bit longer and it's tulle over chiffon, rather than dupioni silk. I will have a sash in a dark teal color, but I would have gone with a different color sash anyway.

• Caylin C.
    Master August 2015
    Caylin C. ·

@ESC Maggie Sottero does a loaner program where they can send samples to their authorized retailers for a fee (typically around $100). I'd look into it if I were you.

• Angela Marie
    Master May 2014
    Angela Marie ·

Top: Dream gown: Maggie - Aleah

Bottom: Reality: Mori Lee 4808

I didn't get the Maggie because when I ordered my gown, it wasn't going to be ready in time for our wedding, so the sales lady showed me the Mori Lee, which looked identical.

• Starlight
    VIP August 2014
    Starlight ·

This is my original dream gown, the long discontinued Maggie Sottero 'Blaire'

• ItsGoodToBeKing
    Master February 2014
    ItsGoodToBeKing ·

I wanted Vera Wang's "Gemma" dress or a lazaro satin backless bling number I saw on SYTT once.

I ended up with this:

• Miss P.
    Master September 2014
    Miss P. ·

Can I have two dream dresses?

Mine looks vastly different. Mine is more simple and clean and has a really pretty rusching bust.

The first one I love for it's ultra-sexiness and amazeballs bead-work OH MY!

The second one I'm in love with for it's sweet romantic feel. I'm drooling over her sleeves. I want something similar.

ETA: Bottom-actual dress. Planning to add cap sleeves. Still in love with it.

• Brittany
    Super July 2014
    Brittany ·

Miss P, both those dream dresses are beautiful, I love your dress too!

• Miss P.
    Master September 2014
    Miss P. ·

Thanks, @Brittany! I love your tea length! I originally wanted tea length for a lonnng time way before I met FH. Then somehow, I decided to do long. There is something so dainty and fun about tea length dresses.

• Happy In Hawaii
    Master July 2015
    Happy In Hawaii ·

I found my dream dress early on. I went to quite a few shops and none of them carried it, I was so sad. Then I went to a place and showed them pictures of dresses I liked, they pointed to my favorite and said they had it and I about died. That was the dress I went home with! So lucky to have my dream dress!

• ESC061315
    Dedicated June 2015
    ESC061315 ·

@Caylin - I didn't know that. I will have to look into that when I go in a couple of weeks. You just gave me some hope! Thank you.

• Abby
    VIP November 2013
    Abby ·

I was very lucky. My dream dresses were actually in my price range! I had a few from Alfred Angelo I fell in love with....and one of them ended up being my dress! (The strapless one with the flowers).

• J
    Super April 2015
    Jenna Whitt ·

I found my dream dress on one of those websites with weird names and bad reviews...then I found the same dress on a boutique's website! Apparently the weird website posted designer dress pictures they STOLE from actual legit places :/

My original budget was $500, but when I got squeezed into the tiny size they had, I bought it...$1100 for a dress that started out at $4000 , because it's from 2012. Still freaking out about going over budget, but I had been dreaming about this dress for months...it's an allure couture, #c209, and of course I can't figure out how to attach the picture using a tablet lol

• Jess
    Master May 2015
    Jess ·

This is my dream dress.... a Pnina from Kleinfelds.

My dress is the Maggie Sottero Divina... I feel bad saying it's not my "dream dress" because I really do love it. It's the only dress I tried on.

Comment on this discussion