Cookjay
Dedicated June 2018

Dollar Tree DIY centerpieces

Cookjay, on Dec 6, 2017 at 4:31 PM Posted in Do It Yourself

I have just a little over six months left until the wedding and we are trying to cut cost on things. Decided to go to dollar tree and see what I can work with! And must say, am totally impressed with myself!! I glued a fish bowl on top of a candle holder and just spray painted them gold. Added some artificial flowers to finish the look.

My guests will also be able to take these home. I? don't need 20+ centerpieces anyways, right? Haha.

Total cost to make $5-$7 bucks a pieces.

Share:

15 Comments

• melbooks
    Devoted April 2017
    melbooks ·

The holder looks nice and the lighting makes the flowers look good as well. You did a great job!

Don't expect a lot people to take them home though. I'm sure you'll still have major clean up to do.

ETA: add a bit

• Chelsea
    Devoted May 2018
    Chelsea ·

I would also check the view, but those are great!!! Nicely done. I'm impressed, I could never do that.

• J
    Just Said Yes September 2019
    Jasmin ·

Great job......if your guest don't take them you could sell them also.

• V
    Savvy March 2018
    Victoria ·

Love the creativity. Are you going to do any mirrors beneath them or candles to give light and depth?

• Vanessa
    Super June 2019
    Vanessa ·

Very creative!

• Leila
    Super October 2017
    Leila ·

YouTube is full of dollar tree DYIs

• Rachel DellaPorte
    Rachel DellaPorte ·

Do they look like professionally designed pieces? No. Does that matter? Well, all things considered, venues do a fabulous job of setting guest tables, and that centerpiece will not detract from your professionally set tables. Is it at a height that could obstruct conversation? Maybe...without measurements, I couldn't say for sure, but I can say "So what?". After dinner is over, people leave the table and begin to enjoy the party. They're on the dance floor, at the bar, hanging around conversing, etc. Once that happens, anyone who wants to speak to another person can grab two seats together, so don't worry about obstruction. Nobody ever leaves a wedding saying, "The ceremony was so moving, the cocktail hour was fabulous, the dinner was delicious, the bar was open, the DJ was amazing, but....tose centerpieces. They ruined the whole dinner. I was trying to talk to someone, but the flowers obscured their chin. It destroyed the entire event...so sad."

Centerpieces are there for aesthetics, not for practicality. Your pieces are fine -- not amazing or particularly memorable -- but absolutely acceptable. Don't sweat it. Put your money where it counts: hosting (food, drinks, and entertainment).

I'd add a few more white flowers, of any variety, around the base of your pieces. I think that would take them up a level.

• ThePeoplesBride
    Super October 2019
    ThePeoplesBride Online ·

It's and interesting design. I would, at the very least, scatter some clear crystals/pebbles at the base. Electric tea lights, if your venue doesn't allow real candles, are not very expensive and will add some depth to the table's aesthetic and the ambience of the room.

Rachel's idea of adding more flowers and greenery around the base is a decent idea too.

• MrsRidley
    VIP January 2018
    MrsRidley ·

They look great!

• N
    Savvy July 2018
    Nitisha ·

Love it

• FutureMrs.Hays
    VIP April 2018
    FutureMrs.Hays ·

I think they look great! I would probably make the floral piece a bit fuller and add some votives around it.

• L
    Dedicated April 2018
    Lori ·

@Cookjay - I'm totally stealing this idea for my Christmas table centerpieces! Thanks for the inspo!

• Future Mrs. T
    Expert May 2018
    Future Mrs. T ·

I love it!

• Elayna
    Devoted June 2018
    Elayna ·

Does the fish bowl have a floral foam piece? That may be a great option to.. and stick flowers in that.

• Maria
    Savvy March 2018
    Maria ·

I LOOOVE IT!

Comment on this discussion