Victoria
Devoted October 2014

Do I need a passport?

Victoria, on August 6, 2014 at 3:44 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 15
Saved Save

FH and I are looking at booking a cruise to the Bahamas for our honeymoon and we are super excited!! Neither of us have ever been on a cruise or to the Bahamas so we will both be experiencing it for the first time! I was wondering if we would need to have a passport when we go? When I did a little research I got the impression it was recommended but not required. Can someone please help me out here..lol

15 Comments

• allidb8579
    Super April 2020
    allidb8579 ·
    • Flag

You don't need one as long as you are coming back to the same port that you left. However like Erin said you should get one. God for bid the boat leaves you in the Bahamas then it will be hell trying to get back to the US. (my very first cruise I didn't have one)

• M
    Master May 2014
    MizizAngi ·
    • Flag

I'm pretty sure you need at least a passport card for land and sea travel. My friend who is a travel agent highly recommends getting a full book because you never know when something might come up and you have to fly back home.

• Milwaukee_Bride
    VIP August 2014
    Milwaukee_Bride ·
    • Flag

You need a passport - I'm also going a cruise to the Bahamas and our cruise line (Royal Caribbean) requires that document to get your boarding information.

• Maritza
    Master April 2015
    Maritza ·
    • Flag

Yes.. get the passport card, it's cheaper.

• Katie
    Super June 2014
    Katie ·
    • Flag

I believe if you are leaving from a US Port and returning to a US Port you do not need a passport, however it certainly is a good idea to just get one anyway in case you do end up getting stuck somewhere. Better safe than sorry!

• M
    Master May 2014
    MizizAngi ·
    • Flag

"U.S. citizens traveling to The Bahamas by sea on private watercraft or most commercial vessels must have a valid passport. Those traveling by sea on an officially-designated “closed-loop cruise”, meaning that the port of entry is the same port as the port of re-entry upon return to the U.S., may enter using a passport, passport card, or other Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document [this is a travel program card or enhanced drivers licence], however, it is prudent to obtain a passport before travel in case of an unforeseen emergency that requires a cruise passenger to disembark and return by air."

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/the-bahamas.html

http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/whti-program-background

• Mary
    Super February 2015
    Mary ·
    • Flag

Definitely get a passport! If for some reason the boat breaks down or you get stuck in the Bahamas, you can't fly back with a passport card. I've done the research because I went on my first cruise in December (when FH proposed Smiley smile If you get it now, you won't have to pay extra to have it expedited. Definitely worth the sense of comfort knowing you'd have way home!

• DisneyNut
    Master October 2014
    DisneyNut ·
    • Flag

Yes the cruise line will REQUIRE you to have one to board the ship.

• courtney
    Dedicated October 2014
    courtney ·
    • Flag

We are cruising with Carnival for our honeymoon and this will be my second cruise. A passport is not required but recommended. I am not taking one and neither is FH. If anything were to happen that is unforeseen we will figure it out then. Smiley smile

• SoonToBeMrsD
    Super September 2014
    SoonToBeMrsD ·
    • Flag

FH and I are going to Bermuda on a Norwegian cruise and they don't require a passport. But as others have said, they recommend it in case you need to fly home. I don't have one but am planning at least the passport card. FH has cruised 11 times and has never brought his passport.

• Dee
    Devoted December 2015
    Dee ·
    • Flag

For cruises you do NOT need a passport for cruises that start and end on US soil. You only need your birth certificate!

• SunshineJenn
    Master August 2014
    SunshineJenn ·
    • Flag

Yes and no. You technically don't need one if your port is leaving and arriving from a US port. BUT - the countries your ship visits might require a passport for you to enter during your port of calls.

• Rebekah
    Master April 2014
    Rebekah ·
    • Flag

I have never had to have a passport to board a cruise ship. Birth certificate yes passport no. Now, if for some reason something happens to the ship or you get left at a port you can't get back into the US without one. Do they recommend one yes, but it's not required.

• SunshineJenn
    Master August 2014
    SunshineJenn ·
    • Flag

I also would not take a birth certificate with you...if it gets lost, it's easy enough to replace, but anyone who finds it can pretty much steal your identity.

• Emmy
    Master January 2015
    Emmy ·
    • Flag

Get a passport, you never know when you'll want to flee the country. But yes, you need a passport to go anywhere outside of the US. Also, don't let someone put their phone number on one of the pages like FH's friend does

Comment on this discussion