Maggie
Champion October 2025

DJ or Live Musicians?

Maggie, on February 27, 2019 at 2:05 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 18
Saved Save

How are you playing music at your ceremony? Will you select a playlist of songs for your DJ to play as you walk down the aisle? Or are you having live musicians play as your wedding gets under way?

Are you having a DJ or live musicians at your ceremony?

DJ or Live Musicians? 1

Photo from Impossible Entertainment in New Jersey

DJ or Live Musicians? 2

Photo from Sweet Harmony Music in New Jersey

Tell us more about your ceremony plans in these discussions: Your vows: are you slipping in a joke or keeping it strictly sentimental?, What's your ceremony exit song?, and Who is your wedding officiant? Friend, family, or pro?

18 Comments

• Danielle K
    VIP June 2019
    Danielle K ·
    • Flag

BOTH!!!! this is one new thing for our wedding that I can't get over! We get to have a cello and violin at the ceremony and a dj for the reception

• Alexandra
    VIP June 2019
    Alexandra ·
    • Flag

We are having an acoustic guitarist play during our ceremony and cocktail hour! Then we'll have a DJ for the reception Smiley smile

• Melissa
    VIP October 2018
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

We had a DJ for both the ceremony and reception (he had a package deal and was AMAZING!) He was easily one of the BEST decisions we made for our wedding. He kept our dance floor packed all night and read the crowd SO well. (As contrast, we recently went to a wedding where the DJ played nothing but 90s throwbacks and anyone older than the age of 25 was bored to tears all night - grandma even yelled at people because she didn't get to dance at all!)

• Jasmine
    Rockstar August 2020
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag

We're getting married on the beach in Hawaii and we're going to have either a ukulele or guitar player during the ceremony. We're thinking about skipping a reception because it'll only be about 30 of us or so. We might just throw a small party at an Airbnb!

• Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That sounds like so much fun in both instance, Jasmine! I think a ukulele player would be awesome to walk down the aisle to!

• G
    Dedicated June 2020
    Gabby ·
    • Flag
    I'm having a brass quintet made of my friends play the ceremony and then DJ for the reception.
  • Formerbride
    VIP June 2019
    Formerbride ·
    • Flag

Guitar player for ceremony and cocktail hour. Dj for reception :0

• Jasmine
    Rockstar August 2020
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'm super excited. It's going to be somewhat of a traditional Hawaiian ceremony with the leis, musician and the flower circle. Still debating on the unity sand and the ti leaf and lava rock portions of the ceremony but either way, I'm just dying for this to happen already! Smiley catface

• Summerbride77
    VIP July 2019
    Summerbride77 ·
    • Flag
    We’re having a DJ for both the cemony and the reception.
  • AQuixoticBride
    VIP July 2018
    AQuixoticBride ·
    • Flag
    We hired a live duo that played songs we requested for the processional (they also played the reception), and then a brass band did the recessional and second line. So much fun!
  • Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Ooh, that sounds so cool, Gabby! Are you asking them to learn a song or two for the ceremony or are you asking them to play something they already know?

• M
    Super November 2019
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    I prefer live musicians IF they're talented enough to play classics and not ruin them.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag

LIVE!

For our DW, we had a violinist for our ceremony and a strolling accordionist for our cocktail hour (playlist for dinner).

For our local reception with drinks, dinner, dancing & dessert, we had a 7-piece band and a Frank Sinatra impersonator. Live music for our 50's/60's theme was awesome.

• G
    Dedicated June 2020
    Gabby ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    They're not an established group already so I'm asking them to learn some songs that I will have arranged for them. Should be a really cool experience.
  • Mrs. Sarantos
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. Sarantos ·
    • Flag
    I’m a wedding musician so it would be a sin for me not to have live musicians! I am hiring a violinist and guitar player to play bluegrass fiddle music for the prelude (it’s an nc mountain wedding) and pop tunes for the actual ceremony. The hardest part was trying to hire ppl I didn’t already know! Some of my friends were hurt that I didn’t ask them to play but I really wanted them to enjoy the wedding as a guest which we never get to do!
  • Kim
    Super September 2019
    Kim ·
    • Flag

We are having a DJ for both ceremony and reception. Live musicians are awesome if you can afford it.

• Maggie
    Champion October 2025
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Ooh, bluegrass music! That sounds like it's going to be a great time, Peggy! How many people did you have to contact to find someone you didn't know to hire?

• Mrs. Sarantos
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. Sarantos ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I just had to spend a lot of time combing through gigmasters

Comment on this discussion