We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Alforev
VIP August 2018

DJ Frustration

Alforev, on October 12, 2017 at 5:34 PM Posted in Planning 0 32
Saved Save

Anyone else having a very difficult time finding a reasonable DJ?

I'm a music teacher, and I DJ all of the events at my school. While I have never been an emcee for a wedding and I understand how different that is, I do know how DJing equipment works so I have a difficult time justifying the quotes I've been getting. Yesterday, I ended up literally breaking down into tears after talking with an extremely arrogant DJ who happens to be the uncle of a guy I grew up with. He lectured me on how I should know that the only thing that people remember is the music at a wedding and how I should know that quality DJs are higher in price. What was his quote? $4200 for 4 hours. With JUST the emcee and music. He said his wedding packages range from $4200 to $10,000. Our venue with all our food and alcohol for 85 guests is only $6400 so how can we justify that price for a DJ? I am just done. My FH is taking over looking for a DJ because I can't handle it anymore.

32 Comments

• Boinkin
    Devoted April 2018
    Boinkin ·
    • Flag

Woah this sounds irrational.

How many quotes did you get?

I got 5 and they were between $800 - $2000 for 4-6 hours depending. Maybe your area is high?

• Taylor
    Dedicated September 2019
    Taylor ·
    • Flag

That's crazy! I'm paying $740 for 8 hours and he is doing the emcee stuff as well.

Since you have some time before your wedding try going to local wedding expos. That's how I booked my DJ.

• Alforev
    VIP August 2018
    Alforev ·
    • Flag

So far I have received quotes from 16 different DJs. The cheapest is $2000 but reviews for that DJ were below 4 stars.

• Brianna
    VIP May 2018
    Brianna ·
    • Flag

Woah, that sounds like way too much. Plus, he sounds super rude.

I'm in the Chicago area, and mine is a little over $1K for 6 hours. Not sure where you are, but $10,000 just for the DJ??!! That seems way off.

• Celia Milton
    June 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

That is bizzaro. I work in NJ/NYC and all the fabulous DJ's I recommend are under 2000.00. Where are you?

• Boinkin
    Devoted April 2018
    Boinkin ·
    • Flag

16? There's no way....!!! I refuse to believe it. Tell me your area and I will send some lol

• GymRat
    Master May 2017
    GymRat ·
    • Flag

I used DJ Spynfo - he has reviews on here and The Knot, and he does weddings in the tri-state area. His most inexpensive package is about $1400 if I remember correctly. Just means you aren't getting a fancy lightup booth (just the standard black), and no intelligent lighting. We paid for his highest package which was $2300 (but he gave us a $300 discount for a Thursday night wedding).

• Janine
    Devoted May 2018
    Janine ·
    • Flag

Wow that seems pricey. I know it varies depending where your located. We are paying $800 for 6 hours.

• StarFromIHJ
    Master August 2016
    StarFromIHJ ·
    • Flag

I see you are getting married in New Jersey. I highly recommend Elegant Music Group. Celia recommended them to me. We had three musicians for the ceremony and cocktail hour, a D.J., an MC, uplighting, dance floor lighting, and a photo booth for around $5,000! They were professional and fabulous.

• VC
    Super April 2018
    VC ·
    • Flag

I refused to pay over $1,000 for our DJ. Some thought I was crazy when I told them my budget and said I would be better off going with one that charges $1,200+. But, ya know what, I found an AWESOME DJ with 40 five star reviews for $600.

Keep looking. There's something out there that's willing to work with you.

• Alforev
    VIP August 2018
    Alforev ·
    • Flag

I'm in Freehold but our reception is in Spring Lake. I think your recommended some before Celia, and I don't remember how many I contacted. There were a couple that were far away and I think I assumed they wouldn't travel to Doolans in Spring Lake. If you have vendor in mind that would be reasonable definitely let me know again and I'll contact them.

• Alforev
    VIP August 2018
    Alforev ·
    • Flag

@gymrat thank you I'm going to look into him!

@futurevc I'm also refusing to pay more than $1000 but in my area it doesn't seem possible.

ETA - I didn't contact elegant music group, but I'll give it a try. They were one of the companies that's pretty far from Spring Lake so I wasn't sure if they would charge more because of that.

• Laura
    Beginner October 2017
    Laura ·
    • Flag

$10k seems... Crazy.

If you have time, go to an expo/wedding show. My ticket was $8 and I won 2 free dance lessons (worth $100), got cheaper tux rentals, and booked our videographer and photo booth!!! We already had a DJ but there were a ton there!

• Boinkin
    Devoted April 2018
    Boinkin ·
    • Flag

I found two that sound reasonable and have good reviews.

Too small to read, so here:

AJH Entertainment (5.9 miles from Freehold) $1,796

Royal Entertainment (in Freehold) $1,016

• StarFromIHJ
    Master August 2016
    StarFromIHJ ·
    • Flag

Alforev, I actually got married in The Poconos and they came to me. The more you add to the package, the cheaper it gets. Its worth a try to call them!

• E
    Just Said Yes November 2017
    Ericka ·
    • Flag

Omg that is obsurd! I got lucky and had a friend who had a friend who worked for a dj company and is only charging me $500 on a saturday from 5-10pm but again it's a friend.. Normally it would have been about $1200 which to me was still decent compared to other quotes I got

• Alforev
    VIP August 2018
    Alforev ·
    • Flag

@boinkin that's so odd because I did contact both of those vendors and they quoted us much higher. I'm going to contact royal entertainment again and see what that $1016 package is.

ETA - ericka you're so lucky!

• Celia Milton
    June 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Get back to us VC.....600.000 isn't really enough.....

• Celia Milton
    June 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

In NJ? EMG is my go to. Elegant Music Group; talk to Tom. I adore them; classy, upscale, not a fortune. (they are here)

Fantasy DJ's; ask for Bob; Love them too, though EMG is my first pick (they are here too)

international crowd? Giancarlo Music. Not here but findable.

And I have had Posh DJ's for about four weeks in a row. I really, really love them. I believe Brendan is the DJ I've worked with. Interesting ceremony music, not loudmouths.

i am very very tough on dj's. I want the to be presentable, professional, subtle and masters at manipulating crowds. This is why I recommend EMG pretty much exclusively.

• StarFromIHJ
    Master August 2016
    StarFromIHJ ·
    • Flag

I had Anthony from EMJ and during the bouquet and garter toss a 13 year old caught the bouquet and the Pastor caught the garter. Anthony was a quick thinking pro. He had the pastor put the garter up the arm of the 13 year old. That's why I splurged and hired an awesome DJ. (That and everyone was up and moving all night.)

Comment on this discussion

Related articles