S
Expert May 2015

DIY Wedding Invites

SoonToBeMrsB, on November 17, 2014 at 10:22 AM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 19
Saved Save

Hey Ladies!

I know I saw a post a few weeks back about some DIY invites, can some of you upload pics of the final package? Including any belly bands, ribbons, string or whatever you use to put your whole look together? Did you use pocket envelopes or the standard envelopes?

I'm in the process of picking out templates for my invites but I'm trying to see would like some type of insight on what has actually been done by other DIY brides.

19 Comments

• Missy
    Master October 2017
    Missy ·
    • Flag

I don't have anything to post (no invites yet), but bumping this post as I'm sure someone out there has pics and info to share Smiley smile

• DanieG
    Beginner November 2014
    DanieG ·
    • Flag

I used pocket cards, envelopes, and belly bands from this website

http://www.cardsandpockets.com/perfetto.aspx

i went to a craft store and bough shiny pearl white card stock. It took a while but i saved almost $500

• S
    Expert May 2015
    SoonToBeMrsB ·
    • Flag

Thank you Missy!! @Danie G these look great!! I am trying to do something similar with the pocket envelopes. What sizes are your enclosure cards? I'm using a 5x7 for the invite.

• Catalina
    Super December 2014
    Catalina ·
    • Flag

Here are my DIY invites

• DanieG
    Beginner November 2014
    DanieG ·
    • Flag

All of the inserts were 5 inches wide and then different heights. I attached the picture that I used from their website. I used regular sized paper sheets of card stock and cut out the inserts myself. You can buy the inserts from the website if you want. I wanted a shiny glittery paper and they didnt offer that so I made my own

I think the invite card was 6 x 6 or 5.5 x 5.5

If you go on the website they well send you a sample. you can pick all of the colors you want and all of the inserts. It was really helpful

• S
    Expert May 2015
    SoonToBeMrsB ·
    • Flag

Thank you!!!

• Sarahdell
    Master October 2014
    Sarahdell ·
    • Flag

Don't forget square and over-sized envelopes cost more to mail even if they don't weigh much. Smiley smile

• Jillian
    Master May 2015
    Jillian ·
    • Flag

My suggestion, if you want to do pocket style, just buy the envelopes! There are decent website with good sales that you can get them cheap. I started playing around with them and doing my own. I purchased paper from michaels with coupons, so it was really cheap. FH didn't like the envelopes really that I made from scratch and personally I didn't want to do them all anyways ha! So, buying them would definitely be easier. However, after totally the cost of envelopes, ink, etc we found these pocket style which as the raised printed (which FH loved). They always offer 20% off, so for 100 it was only $200. When I added the cost to purchase everything it really didn't end up being worth DIY for all of them because there wasn't that much different in price. Got an email this morning and they shipped out and will be here tomorrow!

Not sure how big the picture will be so here is the link as well. These were the most reasonable I found and had everything I wanted, except I wished that the invite was on the left not the right, but oh well that doesn't really matter

http://www.exclusivelyweddings.com/Weddings/Wedding-Invitations/Wedding-Invitation/Pocket/Love-Story-Wedding-Invitation

ETA: Edited to say that these will fit in a 5x7 envelope. The sample is free to order as well and they have some different color options.

• Ms. A
    Devoted April 2015
    Ms. A ·
    • Flag

Bumping, I was just researching DIY invites yesterday.

• Soon_To_Be_MrsK
    Devoted December 2014
    Soon_To_Be_MrsK ·
    • Flag

I'll post a picture of mine tonight when I get out of work (but heres a mini teaser of the only slightly blurry photos I have on my work computer, lol). I bought everything I used from Cardsandpockets.com and used Adobe Illustrator to completely design the entire invite. I purchased the ornament image from an etsy seller and modified it to suit my needs.

• Soon_To_Be_MrsK
    Devoted December 2014
    Soon_To_Be_MrsK ·
    • Flag

Deleted bc it was a duplicate. sorry ladies.

• Northern MN
    Master November 2014
    Northern MN ·
    • Flag

I made my belly bands out of photo copied paper that I cut into strips (I wanted a birchbark effect), and bought envelopes separately because I wanted Size 10 side flap.

• JenniferandRick
    VIP August 2015
    JenniferandRick ·
    • Flag

Jillian's right about buying the pocketfolds. It's much cheaper and less of a headache if you purchase the pocketfolds; if you can have them mailed in the States. I'm doing my own invitations and i'm in love with the pocketfold invites. I searched high and low for pocketfolds and i found some for $0.30 each or less, but it would have cost me more to have them shipped to Canada. So, i'm making them. $10 for 125 sheets of light cardstock (pocketfolds), under $10 for actual invites, $5 for envelopes, $10 for 50 yards of lace (bellybands) and $10 for an extra set of ink cartridges. I will likely have leftover materiel which i will eventually use, cause i love to craft.

• NewestHess
    Super May 2015
    NewestHess ·
    • Flag

I made my own template and put it all together with cardstock

• Dawn Sobieszczyk
    January 2020
    Dawn Sobieszczyk ·
    • Flag

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that All of my pocket invitations are on sale this month! If DIY doesn't work out you can email me at *******************@*******.***

Thank you Dawn

• Enya
    VIP July 2015
    Enya ·
    • Flag

For the ladies who did the printing themselves, did you run into any issues that made you want to tear out your hair?

• L
    Master February 2015
    LetItSnow ·
    • Flag

Yes! I ultimately printed them at Staples. They did a great job.

• L
    Master February 2015
    LetItSnow ·
    • Flag

Yes! I ultimately printed them at Staples. They did a great job.

• Enya
    VIP July 2015
    Enya ·
    • Flag

Did they cut them for you as well?

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics