Amanda
Expert August 2017

Diy centerpieces vs florist

Amanda, on August 26, 2016 at 7:59 AM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 20
Saved Save

Does anyone plan on making their own centerpieces using bulk flowers? SAMs club has 125 rose stems for $88 which seems like an amazing deal. But I'm also kind of nervous about the quality of the flowers and the amount of work it will take. Part of me thinks splurging on a florist might be worth it. How much is everyone spending on flowers?

20 Comments

• JillR
    VIP September 2016
    JillR ·
    • Flag

There's been a few posts/reviews on this from people who have done it... If you're not on the app, you can search for them!

I'm DIYing mine, but using silks, so I'm not much help Smiley smile

• Page
    VIP May 2017
    Page ·
    • Flag

There's a girl named JamieLynn who did her own bouquets and centerpieces. I think if you look up DIY costco flowers it might come up. She used all yellow roses and did an amazing job!

My florist quote came out to $2200 which we'll be scaling down on as we go. It's for my bouquet, 6 bridesmaid bouquets, 9 boutonnieres, 15 low centerpieces, and 2 large altar arrangements. Personally I'd be too stressed out to create my own bouquets because I want a certain look but it can be done!

ETA: do a search for DIY costco flowers in the search function here on WW. You can't find it on the app but just log in through your browser!

• xray12280
    Master June 2017
    xray12280 ·
    • Flag

I'm going to get one of the Sam's club wedding packages, the one I want comes with 6 centerpieces (no vases), using blue mason jars for those and the rest of the tables I'm going to get either the roses you mentioned or gerber daisies and put those in bud vases.

Not too long ago someone posted all the details of ordering flowers online, I think they were yellow roses, she posted pics and everything I'm on mobile so I can't search but it was a good thread.

• StokedToBeASaucier
    Master September 2017
    StokedToBeASaucier ·
    • Flag

I know me and I know I'll be stressed out during my wedding week and if I can reduce that stress in any way, I will. Hence paying an annoying amount of money on a florist who delivers. I'd like to save money but I'd like to be as stress-free as possible.

• WolfWedding2016
    Master May 2016
    WolfWedding2016 ·
    • Flag

I did my own flowers - I didn't regret it; I spent $300 total on my flowers and I couldn't have afforded the number of centerpieces I had on my budget. I also made two bouquets, three corsages, and a bunch of boutonnieres. However, it was a decent amount of work and I did it all myself.

• SarahL2T
    VIP April 2017
    SarahL2T ·
    • Flag

My FSIL just got married 3 weeks ago, and on the rehearsal day they bought bulk flowers and we made the bouquets, boutonniers, and centerpieces. It was actually pretty relaxing and fun! We did the rehearsal and dinner after that. Kept everything in water (and the bouts in the fridge), and it all looked gorgeous the next day.

• Melanie
    Expert November 2016
    Melanie ·
    • Flag

I'm making my own centerpieces. I'm using a lot of baby's breath. My venue is a renovated barn, it's beautiful on its own and doesn't need much.

• DeniseD
    Master May 2015
    DeniseD ·
    • Flag

My SIL did all her own flowers at her wedding in 2009 with Costco flowers. Her mother helped and father/brother did all the delivery and setup.

My mother and I did the centerpieces for a friend of our's wedding 2 years ago. Nothing fancy, we bought the flowers at the grocery store on Thursday, put them in buckets with the plant food and assembled them at the venue Saturday.

ETA: I did think about doing my own flowers but we had around 30 tables and a large bridal party. I shopped around for florist that ranged from 5500-8k. I ended up going with the 5500 who also has done a majority of my cousins' weddings.

• MzRosaLu
    Master July 2016
    MzRosaLu ·
    • Flag

We initially thought about doing this, but realized how much work it would be to prep and arrange the flowers, refrigerate them, and transport them to the venue. We instead opted for a florist with relatively inexpensive, smaller centerpieces and bouquets. Just something to think about.

• Amanda
    Expert August 2017
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

Yeah I think I'm going to check out some local florists so I have an idea of what it would cost. I got a quote on thumbtack and it was like 2,700. If I can find a florist for around 1,000 I'll go that route to save myself the headache.

• Colleen
    VIP June 2016
    Colleen ·
    • Flag

Similar to MzRosaLu, I thought I was going to order bulk flowers and do my own centerpieces but glad I didn't. There are some great tutorials on here from a couple brides who did their own flowers but it is a lot of work. I already had a florist doing my bouquet so just added some inexpensive floral centerpieces ($25 each, I had already purchased vases) on to the tab. We only had 8 tables, so not worth the hassle for me. However if its something you enjoy doing, have the time and space, it might be worthwhile.

• Kyle
    Super May 2019
    Kyle ·
    • Flag

I did my own flowers. I ordered them in bulk online, and a handful of them did come in a bit crushed and/or browned. I ended up spray painting them and assembling them the morning of the wedding. it wasn't terrible, but it would have been nice to have more time to relax that day.

• Carla
    Dedicated September 2016
    Carla ·
    • Flag

I'm doing my own, but I have a small bridal party and about 6 tables to make centerpieces for. I ordered anemones from The Bouqs and I'm ordering white hydrangeas and the white roses you mentioned from Sams. I probably don't need all 125 roses but I would rather have extra in case some are damaged while shipping. I checked their reviews and they are pretty good.

• Celia Milton
    November 2019
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

I did my own; very non traditional plantings directly on top of the table.

time consuming and no, I wouldn't do it again.

• Celia Milton
    November 2019
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

I did my own; very non traditional plantings directly on top of the table.

time consuming and no, I wouldn't do it again.

• Carly
    VIP April 2016
    Carly ·
    • Flag

I would not touch doing my own flowers again and all we did was order bulk hydrangeas from Sam's (they were beautiful) and place them around lanterns. Keeping those flowers gorgeous and then transporting them was a pain in the ass.

• Zulander
    Super July 2017
    Zulander ·
    • Flag

Initially I was leaning towards going with a company like The Bouqs where you figure out exactly what type of flowers you need and then they send you all the flowers, supplies and instructions. But, I recently found a florist near me when I was at a farmers market who does stuff that is exactly what my FH and I imagined. It will definitely be more expensive (I don't have the exact cost yet) but I think it will take away so much stress and headache. And as a perfectionist, I can see doing my own flowers going horribly wrong.

• J
    Beginner March 2017
    Janel ·
    • Flag

I am planning on making my own centerpieces. My venue doesn't require much decoration. I found a look I really love of branches wrapped in white Christmas lights. I actually sent my nieces and nephews out on a mission to search for branches for me and I am just going to get some inexpensive, battery powered lights, vases and maybe a few sprigs of something else for color and that will be it.

• MEGAN
    Expert October 2016
    MEGAN ·
    • Flag

We have a lavender and herb theme so I thought that the flowers were going to be easy enough to DIY. We are growing our own lavender to be dried as well as our own herbs. We were going to supplement it with fresh lavender from a local farm and herbs from a guy at our farmers market.

Right, nothing going as planned... Our plants died (total black thumb) and our other sources failed. We ended up having to find a florist to do the bouquets and bouts. We are still going to DiY the centerpieces as we had planned to use dried flowers/herbs for them and can do it a week or more ahead of time.

I wish I had just planned on using the florist first..........

• Amber
    Super August 2017
    Amber ·
    • Flag

I am trying to do the same thing, also thinking of going to Sam's doesn't seem like a bad price. I'm only worried about how they will come out and how time consuming it will be. I have a friend that will help though

Comment on this discussion