Lynnie
WeddingWire Administrator October 2016

Did you number your RSVPs?

Lynnie, on October 20, 2015 at 10:34 AM Posted in Planning 0 46
Saved Save

RSVPs are obviously a huge stress moment for all brides and grooms. People not sending them, losing them, not writing their names, adding extra people, etc. Have any of you tried using some of the RSVP tips & tricks out there, and did they work?

I've heard of numbering your RSVPs or even using blacklight pens!

For Autumn Invitation Inspiration click here: https://www.weddingwire.com/wedding-photos/invitations/autumn-invitations/i/724744217f19c0fa-59a908fe1ab73c73

46 Comments

• Frugal Gator
    Master May 2016
    Frugal Gator ·
    • Flag

No need, we're doing online RSVPs!

• Staci
    Master September 2014
    Staci ·
    • Flag

Yes, we did the black light pen thing and it came in handy for two of our RSVPs. Plus H got to use the black light pen and I think it made him feel like James Bond or something Smiley smile

• Tara
    Devoted November 2015
    Tara ·
    • Flag

We just wrote their names on the inside of the rsvp envelope. It saves having an extra sheet to track numbers to names.

• SimpleSeamstress
    Master June 2015
    SimpleSeamstress ·
    • Flag

Definitely number them if you are doing paper RSVP's, people will forget to write their names on them. I skipped the special pen and just wrote a very small number in pencil on the back.

• Ally
    Master October 2016
    Ally ·
    • Flag

Online! But, if I did paper yes, I would totally number them Smiley smile

• sjd85
    Super October 2015
    sjd85 ·
    • Flag

We numbered ours but we didn't need to. They all came back with names. My RSVPs said Name___ instead of the M___ that most people can't seem to handle.

• JaKLyn
    Master November 2015
    JaKLyn ·
    • Flag

Yes. Which I'm so glad we did. We had so many people who just put that X amount of people were coming without listing their return address or their names.

• Elyse
    Master September 2015
    Elyse ·
    • Flag

I used the blacklight pen. I'm not a fan of numbering because I feel like it looks like I'm ranking people haha. We got all of them back with names though.

• OriginalKD
    Master December 2015
    OriginalKD ·
    • Flag

No, but I wish I would have done the 'we have reserved xx places in your honor'. Some people just don't get invitation etiquette.

• RH
    Master November 2014
    RH ·
    • Flag

Yep, sure did. Was glad we did too, think we had a few who sent they back with no names and then there were a few who couldn't seem to write legibly!

• Tori
    VIP September 2015
    Tori ·
    • Flag

Yes and I am so happy I did! We got so many back with no names!

I used a pen in the button corner on the back, I asked my BM if she noticed when she got theirs and she said nope.

• Mrs. Lav
    Master November 2015
    Mrs. Lav ·
    • Flag

I numbered and used a blacklight pen (agree with Elyse that visible numbers makes people feel like you ranked them). I actually didn't have to use it at all, but knowing our luck, we would have needed it if I hadn't planned ahead.

ETA: I already had a spreadsheet/Google doc going with names and addresses, so I just used the row number for each invite. I've been keeping track of meal entrees and now table numbers in there too.

• OG Kathryn
    Champion May 2016
    OG Kathryn ·
    • Flag

I just ordered the black light pen!!! They are only like $3 on amazon.

• WithHitch11/07
    Dedicated November 2015
    WithHitch11/07 ·
    • Flag

Definitely numbered them! I was glad I did because I had at least 3 RSVP's without names.

• WithHitch11/07
    Dedicated November 2015
    WithHitch11/07 ·
    • Flag

@OriginalKD!!! The "we have reserved _X_ places in your honor.." where was that a few months ago!? We had two incidents where people did not understand that the names on the invitations were the people that were invited. Because of other sticky situations.. we have 4 extra folks attending. :-/

• E&J
    VIP October 2015
    E&J ·
    • Flag

Yes, we did--and we did get some back without names or return addresses, so it's a good thing we did. I just did small numbers in light pencil on the back, and I don't think anyone noticed.

• Amy
    Super September 2015
    Amy ·
    • Flag

Yep we numbered them. Just used a regular pen and wrote in the corner on the back. To me, it didn't matter if people saw it; it's simply a tracking device and can come in handy.

• Future Mrs Madison
    Expert December 2015
    Future Mrs Madison ·
    • Flag

FH & I are working on invitations tonight. I'm definitely numbering them.

• Mrs. P
    Expert October 2015
    Mrs. P ·
    • Flag

We just did the tiny number is regular pen on the back, and it came in handy. At least two couples didn't put their names, though ironically they were both wedding planning at the time too. They should have known!

• MrsA
    Master October 2015
    MrsA ·
    • Flag

I did, but I just used a pencil and wrote the number inside the return envelope. No one was the wiser. I did need it for one person. I didn’t think to add reserved seats before I had the RSVP’s printed so I went and had small cards made with “2 seats have been reserved in your honor” and placed them only in those invites who had kids. It worked out great, no bone heads.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics