S
Master July 2014

DID the ring matter?

Soon2beMrsLittle, on March 14, 2014 at 9:40 AM Posted in Planning 0 90
Saved Save

So since I've been engaged. I've heard alot of my friends say " Girl He betta put a rock on it or Im saying No". Well, me, The ring didnt matter the size or anything. Im not BIG on jewelry so I told fh if he ever propose make sure he get something that I can afford to replace just in case i lose it without his knowledge lol he thought that was funny, but the moral of that statement was Please dont go into debt trying to get me a BIG ROCK cuz I'm not that type of gal. but when I hear my friends make statements like that it makes me wonder.... Does it really matter? I mean are you REALLY gonna say no if its not the ring of your DREAMS. FH gave me a small cute ring, nothing flashy and he's already telling me, "I want to upgrade your ring soon as I can afford to" me "No Biggie, its just a ring it the material things I dont care about, the marriage and what we make of it does".

90 Comments

• TheOGJesse's Girl
    Master March 2014
    TheOGJesse's Girl ·
    • Flag

I mean, I am not gonna lie. If he would have gotten something that was totally not my taste, I would have been disappointed. The SIZE did not matter at all because I have really tiny hands anyway. However, my FH was good and stole my phone to peek at my secret pinterest board, lol.

• P.L.Mary
    Expert February 2015
    P.L.Mary ·
    • Flag

To me no. He could have proposed over a Big Mac

• Jemma
    VIP July 2014
    Jemma ·
    • Flag

I told FH I'd marry him with a plastic toy ring if it came to it, as he was worried he couldn't afford one. In the end he proposed without a ring as he got caught up in the spur of the moment, then I found the ring online, bought it, and he paid me back in instalments! It's not at all big or showy (or expensive) but it's perfect for me and that's what counts. My wedding ring has the same shaped stones at intervals around the band and I can't wait to wear that too.

• SupermanBride
    Master October 2014
    SupermanBride ·
    • Flag

FH was very adamant on the fact that he was not going to propose til he could afford the ring of my dreams. Luckily we did not run into this problem.

He spent over 3 hours at the store and made sure he picked something he thought was me. I know I am part of the lucky few that was not at all worried about what he would pick.

I would have said yes if he had just asked without an object.

• Riki
    Master August 2014
    Riki ·
    • Flag

My honey didn't get the most expensive, hugest rock in the world, but he got something he knew I would like, and I LOVE the idea that he paid cash for it and that it isn't something that we are in debt over.

I get a lot of compliments on my ring. It fits my hands (which are small). He did a good job and the truth of the matter is, I would have said "yes" no matter what.

If I didn't like the ring he got, I probably would have just taken it back and "upgraded" sooner...LOL!

Thats the nice part about buying from a "big box" jewelry store, they have that upgrade policy. We plan to utilize that in the future, though a part of me doesn't want to trade in my little ring because I have really fallen in love with it. I would rather just buy another set.

• SoonToBeMrsD
    Super September 2014
    SoonToBeMrsD ·
    • Flag

My ring was his moms. And that makes it special. She wore it everyday, and the she told me that the day she met me for the first time, she went home and took it off her finger. She said she knew it was going to be mine very soon. FH and had only been dating for a week. And she was right. Now it's mine and I love it! I'm on my phone so I can't post a pic /:

• S
    Super May 2014
    Soon to be a Mrs! ·
    • Flag

No, the ring doesn't necessarily matter. You don't marry someone for the ring, you marry them because you want to spend the rest of your life with them. I think some of your friends are just running off at the mouth. I bet, if they truly cared for the guy they would say yes.

• Fit Bride
    VIP August 2014
    Fit Bride ·
    • Flag

The size didn't matter much to me as long as they weren't tiny lol. He could afford to buy a decent size. What mattered to me was the overall QUALITY of the ring. He bought a cut that is almost perfect quality. I love the way it shines.

I knew I wouldn't be disappointed on the type of ring he would choose because he knows what type of ring I like.

• LillyBride
    VIP May 2014
    LillyBride ·
    • Flag

My ring isn't anything I would have picked out for myself. But it was FH's great grandmother's and that means more to me than going to the jewelry store and picking something out. More importantly, it's what he used to propose and it's mine, so I wouldn't change it for anything!

• PattyCakes
    Super June 2014
    PattyCakes ·
    • Flag

The ring matters in the sense that is something he chose for me as a symbol of his love and commitment. Does it matter if it's thousands of dollars worth of a rock? No, not really. I got a 2 carat morganite, not traditional or overly priced. But beautiful and very me. Smiley smile

I think it's sweet when our men show how well they know us by picking out something we love.

• C
    Master July 2014
    csquid ·
    • Flag

Like JG, if it had been completely against my style, I might have been disappointed. Luckily, he did a great job and it was a complete surprise, I only told him I liked white gold and a princess cut when I was hinting at wanting to get married.

When I asked him about how he picked it and the size and everything he said it was hard because a lot of the diamonds looked the same to him but he wanted something that was very good quality rather than a large diamond of poor quality. He also said, about choosing the size, that he knew I wasn't "that type of girl" to need a huge rock lol.

• Courtney
    VIP September 2014
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

I agree. I am not a jewelry person either. I've heard people make those kinds of statements, as well, and I cannot understand it.

I just have to wonder about people who go into debt for a ring or spend 10 years making payments. Seems crazy to me.

I always imagined my engagement ring being a simple, small, solitary diamond. FH went a little beyond that and chose something a little more blingy than I would have picked for myself - but it's not too much and I really love it.

FH could have spent double what he paid for the ring - but instead we backpacked in europe for 3-weeks (and he proposed at the Eiffel Tower). I wouldn't trade our backpacking experience for any sized ring. Material things are just not worth it to me.

• Shaquaya
    VIP April 2014
    Shaquaya ·
    • Flag

I never pictured what I wanted my ring to look like so the size definitely didn't matter to me. I love my ring because I haven't seen anyone with it yet. However I did see someone put up a similar pic of my ring on IG talking about how cheap these types of rings are bcuz they're pieces of diamonds put together but whatever. That person wasn't even engaged lol. I would have said yes to anything though, I'm not a flashy or picky type of girl either.

• kaylarae
    Master April 2015
    kaylarae ·
    • Flag

He could have put a twist tie on my finger and I would have said yes! I didn't even look at the ring until it was on my finger cause when he got down on one knee I was so shocked - I had to stare at him and partially read his lips because I couldn't believe what was happening haha but as soon as I looked at it, it was perfect. Had I gone into a store I would have picked it for myself. I have small hands and I didn't want something taking up half my finger. I'm also clumsy so didn't want something that would get caught on things easily. It's the perfect size with a perfect halo and a beautiful vintage inspired band. I love it so much! I also told him I didn't want him going into crazy debt over the ring, I'd rather that money go towards something else - like a trip!

I have a friend who told me she didn't want her boyfriend to propose until he could afford a Tiffany ring and that if it wasn't, she's say no. To me, that shows you're not with someone for the right reasons. Make sure you want a marriage, not just a diamond and a party!

• Nonna T
    Master April 2014
    Nonna T ·
    • Flag

It didn't hurt!

• DisneyNut
    Master October 2014
    DisneyNut ·
    • Flag

My ring is small but so perfect for me. It was the tears he couldn't hold back when he was pulling it out of his pocket to ask me that mean the world to me, not some piece of gold and diamond that were in the box. I absolutely love my ring.

• Ariel
    Super October 2014
    Ariel ·
    • Flag

It truly did not matter to me. I'm not much of a big, flashy jewelry fan, so something huge and ornate and over the top would have made me feel really awkward. Instead, I have a lovely, simple ring with his grandmother's diamond set into a thin gold band flanked by small rubies. Way more perfect for me than a huge stone with tons of ornate detail.

• LB
    Master May 2014
    LB ·
    • Flag

When people make statements like that, I think it's bravado, not love. When you fall in love with the right man, the ring is minimally and peripherally important. The man and the marriage matter most.

• T-Rex
    Master August 2013
    T-Rex ·
    • Flag

Nope. My ring is nothing like I wanted, but he had it specially made, and the thought is what counts. I love it and people compliment it all the time.

What I wanted, by the way, was something smaller and less expensive. I'm not a huge-diamond-in-the-middle kind of girl (I wanted an amethyst with a halos of small diamonds around it). He chose to go the more expensive, custom-made route.

• We'llAlwaysHaveParis
    Master November 2013
    We'llAlwaysHaveParis ·
    • Flag

I said yes before I saw the ring. He was down on one knee and holding it out, but I was looking at his face, not the ring.

I hadn't looked at rings to even know what I wanted so . . .mainly because I never in a million years expected him to propose.

Comment on this discussion