Jessica
Master September 2017

Did I make a mistake???

Jessica, on October 12, 2011 at 9:47 PM Posted in Planning 0 14
Saved Save

One of my co-workers got married last weekend and a few months ago when she was struggling to find a photographer I suggested the company I had already booked. She is a relatively new/very artizy lady who is very reasonable cause she is trying to build a portfolio...

My co-worker told me that out of all the people she hired for her wedding she liked the photographer least... I am awaiting the actual pictures she took but now I am worried that I made the wrong choice. I guess the photographer kept asking my co-worker what shots she wanted and my co-worker didnt know... I am a little more type-A person and have no issues telling the photographer what I want. Think I am okay or did I make a mistake? I dont really want to hunt for another photographer/lose my deposit!!!

14 Comments

• Arizona Bride
    Super April 2017
    Arizona Bride ·
    • Flag

Go with this photographer if you know what you want. Smiley smile

• Kristen
    Dedicated March 2012
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

@Jessica, the most important thing you can do is trust your instinct. You obviously chose her for the way you were compatible and her work (assuming you saw her portfolio?)

Some brides may want a photographer who takes the reigns and allow her to simply fall into place. Honestly you had the best intentions in suggesting your photographer. I would definitely wait and see what what the end product is and reevaluate at that point. If you know yourself to have different taste and have a feeling after seeing her final photos that you made a mistake then fix it.

I'm sure it's just jitters and you obviouly trust your co-workers word from her experience. Don't be too hasty, trust YOUR bride know how. Good Luck : )

• Melissa
    Expert May 2012
    Melissa ·
    • Flag

Hmmm that is hard. I usually know what I want and that is very helpful to photographers. They can have a hard time giving you what you want if you dont even know what you want. I can understand why you would be concerned now that you are hearing something negative. I think that I would wait, if you can, to see what the picture look like before you make a decision. Would that be an option?

• Jessica
    Master September 2017
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

I LOVED her... and her portfolio was amazing BUT she has only done about a dozen weddings or so... It was very artzy (I HATE standard, boring photos!) so I am assuming that once my co-worker gets her pictures they will be good... *Crossing my finger*

• Abby
    Beginner June 2011
    Abby ·
    • Flag

It can be so hard -- that post-wedding anxiety. It drove me batty -- did I make the right choice -- not in husband, but in things like tent rental, flowers, photographer, etc!

The pictures are probably amazing. To be honest, having a photographer who knows her camera but is new to weddings is probably a good thing! Sometimes photographers start phoning it in because "Oh hell, another wedding."

• Rebecca
    VIP December 2011
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

Not at all, they may have not jived. Sounds like the photographer just needed more confidence building.

• R
    VIP March 2012
    Robyn ·
    • Flag

I would wait for the photos before i do anything.

• Meghan
    Master August 2011
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

I agree- it's hard to know if you made a mistake. Problem 1- she didn't communicate with her photographer prior to the wedding to tell her what particular shots she wanted. You have the opportunity to learn from her mistakes. However, you also hired a non-wedding professional photographer. They don't have the experience to anticipate certain moments, and emotions- and know how to capture them.

There are some good things- your wedding is almsot a year out. She has time to grow as a photographer and get some experience.

There are also photographers who are inconsistent. They do GREAT with one wedding, but not so well with another one.

• C
    Super January 2012
    Charlotte ·
    • Flag

You can’t judge a person on some one's else experience with him/her.........As you are saying she don’t know what she wants or how to explain what she wants to him then how can you be so sure the photographer is not good.........Read some online reviews about the photographer and see his/her work also before deciding anything about him/her.......Just go with this photographer only........

• Marie S. (aka Princess Leia)
    Master October 2012
    Marie S. (aka Princess Leia) ·
    • Flag

I agree with the posts above that just because your coworker and her didn't jive doesn't necessarily mean that she's not wedding photographer material. Since she's done a dozen or so other weddings ask the photographer to provide the contact info for those other brides and ask the hard questions. What you don't want to deal with is micro managing your photographer on your wedding day - since she's artsy she'll be able to capture your emotions easily but without appropriate wedding experience she may not know exactly when those emotional moments occur. That's where the experience comes in and that's the type of questions I would be asking the references about.

• Patricia
    Master December 2011
    Patricia ·
    • Flag

Personally I don't refer anyone to vendors I have not used yet, so if I was in your situation, that would be the mistake.

As far as the photographer goes, I can't really tell if you make a mistake but I'm sure you chose them because you like their work and you clicked well with them, so just because your co-worker didn't have a good experience doesn't mean you will. But then again, if your co-worker didn't really know what type of poses she wanted, the photographer, depending on experiences, should've been able to direct her. That's just how I feel about it.

• H
    Devoted September 2012
    Holly ·
    • Flag

Wait till you see your coworker's pics. Hopefully they'll be great and you won't have anything to worry about. And learn from her experience. Make sure you meet with the photographer before your wedding to tell her exactly what you're looking for. Then when the big day comes, you won't have to worry about it too much. As long as you know what you want, it sounds like she can give it to you.

• Mrs. B for real :)
    VIP September 2012
    Mrs. B for real :) ·
    • Flag

I too chose a wedding photographer that is starting to build her portfolio. She does GREAT photographs in general. I can tell the difference from one of her 1st weddings to now when she's a couple dozen in. You and I both have a wedding about a year away, I'm sure your photog will gain experience over the entire year preparing for your wedding. To ensure I'm going to be happy with my photog (I am like you and have no problem voicing what I want) I booked an engagement shoot as well. This way we make sure we're in sync with how the photography for the big day should go. Maybe see if your photog is willing to do that, it is usually pretty reasonable especially if she/he is building their portfolio. Good luck Smiley smile

Comment on this discussion