Orlett
Savvy July 2016

Destination Wedding Woes

Orlett, on June 19, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Posted in Planning 28

My FH and I decided to do a DW because we love to travel. I thought it would be stress free having it at a resort. I would consult with the wedding coordinator, select colors and show up looking gorgeous. Maybe it is because I have a type A personality, but I am disappointed in the communication of...

My FH and I decided to do a DW because we love to travel. I thought it would be stress free having it at a resort. I would consult with the wedding coordinator, select colors and show up looking gorgeous. Maybe it is because I have a type A personality, but I am disappointed in the communication of the resorts I have contacted. In order to get a response to an email from a week ago I have to call them. Of course when I call they think I am over reacting. With the resort we selected we do not get the coordinator until 2 months prior to our wedding. Which is another issue because I feel like I am not doing anything to plan for my wedding. Does anyone else having a DW have similar issues???

28 Comments

• KD
    Super December 2015
    KD ·
    • Flag

My BFF is a destination wedding planner, she does it all from here in the US and is the perfect liaison. You don't pay her a fee she just gets a small commission on the travel she books, which you'd pay anywhere. She gets amazing deals. Email me if you want her info: krisdice20@hotmail sorry this isn't meant to solicite, just to help out. But either way search for a U.S. Based planner to do the dirty work for you. They can get the resort's attention better than you because of recurring business. Good luck

• Vanessa_DW
    Expert June 2015
    Vanessa_DW ·
    • Flag

Hi Orlett... I don't post very often on here... but lurk daily Smiley winking Finally think my experience can help others!

I am getting married next week in the Dominican... I started planning in May of last year and I completely understand the frustration and uncertainty around dealing with the coordinators from so far away! I was lucky that I usually had email responses within 4-5 days... but on Canadian time, even that seemed WAY too long... I am your typical type A and planning this DW has been 100% outside of my controlling comfort zone... FH says its a good thing Smiley smile

I didn't really communicate much with the resort from August to March.

I had the opportunity to visit the resort in April this year as I happened to be in the DR for another DW (which on a side note was also perfect)... although it was nice to meet the coordinator and get a feel for the resort... I wouldn't say that visiting the resort was crucial to the planning. Other than giving me a warm fuzzy feeling and increasing my excitement... nothing was really accomplished.

Communication from the resort really picked up in May - now they were answering my emails daily - we are a week away from the wedding (we leave Thursday Ahhhh!!) and everything is taken care of. I am completely calm and comfortable that it will all come together beautifully.

Good Luck and don't worry! Trust the coordinator... they put on 2-3 weddings a day usually and they know what they are doing!

• D
    Beginner September 2015
    Dawn ·
    • Flag

I agree with previous post. Try looking at a U.S. Based DW planner. My cousin got married last Sept in Mexico and she used Ever After Weddings.. She loved it! They did all the work and even set it up to where she was at an adults only resort, but next door to a family resort for people attending with children

• Vanessa_DW
    Expert June 2015
    Vanessa_DW ·
    • Flag

Just want to add that having gone through the experience I don't really see the need for an external wedding planner... we worked with a travel agent to coordinate travel arrangements for our guests... and then we worked directly with the resorts coordinators to plan the wedding.

• Orlett
    Savvy July 2016
    Orlett ·
    • Flag

Thank you ladies! I am happy someone understands my concerns!

We are working with a trusted travel agent who did my sister's DW a few yrs ago. My sister is a little different because she is super laid back so she didn't have the anxiety like I do. For the most part my travel agent has been handling the communication with the wedding manager.

• Orlett
    Savvy July 2016
    Orlett ·
    • Flag

Congratulations Vanessa!

• A&L
    Master April 2017
    A&L ·
    • Flag

I got a wedding coordinator from Puerto Rico who is not working with the resort. She is amazing! Calls, text messages and emails. Love her!

• Mina
    Super June 2015
    Mina ·
    • Flag

Just got back from my DW in Mexico and while I understand you're itching to plan... that's the whole point of a DW, what is there that you have to have your hands in right now? All of the on-site coordinators have a set way of doing things and none of that goes in motion until a month or two before the wedding - when you've gotten your final headcount and are paid in full. If they start planning now, it all can change!

This is the time for you to do things that have nothing to do with the resort... invitations, website, dress, suits, accessories, etc. Any outside vendors? Start checking them out. I loved sitting back and not having much to plan, it was so stress-free!

Are you working with a travel agent? My TA was the one who recommended my resort (El Dorado Royale) for many reasons, one of which is the communication with the wedding coordinator. She never took more than a couple days to answer just the simplest questions. It all depends on the resort, but trust that they all know what they're doing - they do weddings daily, not just Saturdays!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics