Orlett
Savvy July 2016

Destination Wedding Woes

Orlett, on June 19, 2015 at 12:31 PM Posted in Planning 0 28
Saved Save

My FH and I decided to do a DW because we love to travel. I thought it would be stress free having it at a resort. I would consult with the wedding coordinator, select colors and show up looking gorgeous. Maybe it is because I have a type A personality, but I am disappointed in the communication of the resorts I have contacted. In order to get a response to an email from a week ago I have to call them. Of course when I call they think I am over reacting. With the resort we selected we do not get the coordinator until 2 months prior to our wedding. Which is another issue because I feel like I am not doing anything to plan for my wedding. Does anyone else having a DW have similar issues???

28 Comments

• purplekitten
    Master October 2015
    purplekitten ·
    • Flag

May I ask where you're looking?

I'm having a DW in Mexico, and I've learned that they do business at a MUCH slower pace there than they do in the US.

• Orlett
    Savvy July 2016
    Orlett ·
    • Flag

Jamaica...yes the pace is killing me. Nothing is urgent. I understand it's cultural but this is business.

• purplekitten
    Master October 2015
    purplekitten ·
    • Flag

Well, the unfortunate part is that it's the culture of their business.

Do you have a particular resort in mind (I was just in Jamaica in July).

• Erica and Brian
    VIP June 2015
    Erica and Brian ·
    • Flag

I saw a wedding happening at the Iberostar Rose Hall (the adults only location) near Montego Bay when we visited there and it was gorgeous. They had to do the rain plan and it was inside on this grand staircase. Amazing. Don't know anything about the coordinators there but we had an amazing time on our vacation there. Good luck!

• S
    VIP August 2015
    Sparkles ·
    • Flag

For us, our DW is here in the US, but now when she's crazy busy with wedding season it's a much slower response rate. That's lame they won't give you anyone until two months out! Do you at least have a point person to ask all your questions to?

• Orlett
    Savvy July 2016
    Orlett ·
    • Flag

Ours is at the Grand Palladium

• DNA
    VIP October 2015
    DNA ·
    • Flag

I wouldn't worry too much. As long as you are eventually getting answers. Try to relax and let them (assuming they are experts) do their jobs.

• Orlett
    Savvy July 2016
    Orlett ·
    • Flag

Sparkles my contact person is the wedding manager. I already switched from one resort because the manager was horrible, she lied and was very unprofessional. The great thing about the old resort was we got a coordinator a wk after our contract would have been processed. However, the manager lied about processing our contract.

• purplekitten
    Master October 2015
    purplekitten ·
    • Flag

Well, you have to bear in mind that this is what these people do for a living, and weddings are how their companies make a huge chunk of their money. They may not be doing it the way you'd prefer, but they know what they're doing.

• Rachael
    Super December 2015
    Rachael ·
    • Flag

My sister got married in Mexico in June a few years ago. It was absolute stunning! She was a bit worried, like you are, about the lack of response from the resort coordinator as well. The coordinator was up front with my sister and told her that she would not really be in touch until the month before her wedding. We were all a bit anxious, but in the end it was perfect. When my sister's time came, the coordinator was completely on point, everything was planned, picked out, and delivered on time for the wedding and the entire day was flawless. (All this while there were 3 other weddings that same day at the resort that the coordinator was working on.)

My sister has said over and over that she would have never done it any other way, even though it was a bit scary in the beginning not hearing back from the coordinator. I think that's just the way things are there.

• OG Kathryn
    Champion May 2016
    OG Kathryn ·
    • Flag

I went to a wedding in Jamaica at the Grand Palladium. She wasnt contacted till about two months in advance.

I think this is normal, but is personally why i would never do a destination wedding. Too much up in the air for me. But.. everything went fine and was beautiful.

• purplekitten
    Master October 2015
    purplekitten ·
    • Flag

@Rachael - What resort? I still haven't managed to find anyone who's been to a wedding at my resort (Iberostar).

• OG Kathryn
    Champion May 2016
    OG Kathryn ·
    • Flag

Purplekitten- my friend ravs about the Iberostars!

• Orlett
    Savvy July 2016
    Orlett ·
    • Flag

Thank you so much Rachel! I guess I will busy myself with little things like cake toppers and welcome bags until next May Smiley smile.

• Marissa
    Devoted July 2015
    Marissa ·
    • Flag

I'm having a destination wedding and our wedding coordinator just contacted us last month (2 months prior to the wedding). Embrace the process, it's supposed to be easy. Smiley smile

• Orlett
    Savvy July 2016
    Orlett ·
    • Flag

Iberostar has great entertainment, never a dull moment.

• Orlett
    Savvy July 2016
    Orlett ·
    • Flag

Marisa- maybe I feel this way because it's a lil over a year away. As we get closer I strongly believe I will feel better about this process.

• Orlett
    Savvy July 2016
    Orlett ·
    • Flag

Is anyone visiting their resort prior to the wedding? I gifted my parents a vacation to our resort 2 years ago and they loved it. FH and I were thinking of going in a few months, but that could be money spent on something else.

• Marissa
    Devoted July 2015
    Marissa ·
    • Flag

Oh ok so that makes sense, there's a large gap where you'll feel like there is nothing to do and you may feel stir crazy (I also did.) but once you hit 6 months, it all goes really fast!!

• Nicola
    VIP August 2015
    Nicola ·
    • Flag

I used to work for a DW company in Cyprus, down in the Med, a few years back. And the thing I think you have to remember is just how many weddings they are potentially doing. Wedding season is one thing in the UK, but if you're working a popular destination wedding spot in peak season? Insane. We used to do minimum 4 weddings a day across a few different locations - sometimes more. Our record was 3 weddings in one day in ONE location.

Our manager was terribly slow about getting back to people, but I saw her inbox more than once. It was crazy the number of emails she got a day.

Some times you just have to be a little patient. Even more so if you're looking at Jamaica. I live in the Caribbean and island time is a real thing. And it's infuriating if you want to get anything done.

But, I sense your frustration. I'm trying to chase a vendor up myself and it's a pain.

Comment on this discussion