Emily
Expert June 2014

Destination Wedding Flowers, Ugh!

Emily, on August 6, 2013 at 8:40 AM Posted in Style and Décor 0 11
Saved Save

So this is going to be a bit of a rant...I've been trying to find a florist for my destination wedding in Michigan (I live in Virginia) and it's getting really frustrating. I have already booked my venue, photographer, officiant, musicians and dj. I didn't have any problem working with all of them from a distance. It just seems to be a huge problem for florists. I've spoken to about six different people and they all have seemed to get my vision and understand my circumstance at first but then a few emails in they start saying "so when can you stop by the shop so we can finalize everything?" When I remind them I live out of state and won't be in the area again until late fall they seem to just stop answering my emails. Just wondering if anyone else has had this same issue? Is it just impossible for a florist to write up a contract without meeting you in person, even after several phone calls and emails and sending photos of what you want?

11 Comments

• Shannon A
    Master May 2014
    Shannon A ·
    • Flag

I don't see why they couldn't. If they know the size of the bouquets an the types if flowers, I really don't see how it's that hard to price

• Soonyee
    VIP June 2013
    Soonyee ·
    • Flag

That is strange, have you sent them pictures of the bouquets and what not?

• Emily
    Expert June 2014
    Emily ·
    • Flag

Yeah I sent them a bunch of pictures and pretty detailed descriptions. They didn't have a problem giving me a quote it just seems like they don't want to give me an actual contract.

I'm almost considering going the Costco/DIY route I just don't know if I trust myself enough and I really didn't want my family to have to help set up and tear down.

• BalletShoesRachel
    VIP September 2014
    BalletShoesRachel ·
    • Flag

Heh, go figure. I'm SO glad I'm not putting an emphasis on flowers. -.-

Where in MI are you getting married--as in, which part of the state? Are you going for Detroit, rural Michigan, or the northern/Mackinac Island area? MI is a pretty big state, and the way people "tick" is different in different parts of the state. If you don't want to say the info publicly, you can also PM me; I grew up in MI; maybe we can figure something out. Smiley smile

• Mrs. Hawkins
    Expert June 2013
    Mrs. Hawkins ·
    • Flag

I live in Georgia and got married in Florida. I never met my florist in person, even on the wedding day. We held virtual meetings for each discussion. I sent her pictures initally and we went from there. I have to say my flowers were perfect, so a florist can meet your needs without meeting in person. My suggestion is to keep researching and check reviews unitl you find someone that is will work to work with you from a distance. Here's a pic of my bouquet.

• Nikki Leonard
    January 2020
    Nikki Leonard ·
    • Flag

I've had florists who want to do that for my destination wedding brides. I'm not sure why they'd stop answering, but maybe email them again and say "I'd love to sign a contract for this quote we'd discussed. I assume my not being able to sign in person won't be a problem as long as payment is provided" which is usually what matters.

• Hilery
    VIP November 2014
    Hilery ·
    • Flag

I agree with Nikki, send her an email along those lines.

• Emily
    Expert June 2014
    Emily ·
    • Flag

Ooo Mrs. Hawkins your bouquet is beautiful!!

Rachel, its sort of halfway between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids...that's one of the things I was worried about was maybe in that area people just aren't big on doing business on the phone/email.

I just sent an email similar to that to one of the florist I liked so I will cross my fingers Smiley smile I guess I'm just worrying too much because this is the first snag I've hit.

Thanks ladies!

• Lulu
    Devoted August 2013
    Lulu ·
    • Flag

Emily where are u getting married at? What venue or city? I'm from michigan and am getting married on west side of state and have an awesome florist that worked with me over the phone by inspirational pics etc.

• Emily
    Expert June 2014
    Emily ·
    • Flag

Lulu- Thanks! It's the Bay Pointe Inn on Gun Lake. Who did you use? (I was trying to pm you but can't figure out how on my phone)

• Lulu
    Devoted August 2013
    Lulu ·
    • Flag

Yes! That's my venue too Smiley smile I am using modern day floral...they have been great. I think they may be a little on the pricey side but since I'm OOT a bit I didn't care bc they worked w me. If u go to their website and sign up for the boot camp then It's basically a web page u communicate thru them with and post inspirational pics. I had one phone interview with the owner I believe and she got my vision down. I don't know if you tried them yet but I have had no issues so far and my wedding is in 5 days

Comment on this discussion