Sydnie
Dedicated July 2019

Deaths in the family

Sydnie , on November 21, 2018 at 1:34 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 10
Saved Save
I had a couple deaths in the family recently, when we get married, it'll be 10 months since my grandmother passed away. My fiance had an uncle pass away less than a year ago as well. We want to honor family members who have passed on, has anyone found any useful methods to do this? I still haven't been able to remove my grandmother from my guest list, this has been hard on both of us.

10 Comments

• Eamsee
    Super June 2019
    Eamsee ·
    • Flag

I am so very sorry for your loss.

Both of my Grandfathers, whom I was closer to than my biological father, have passed. I am going to have a memorial table at the reception venue (barn) near the entrance. I am going to have photos from the weddings of both sets of grandparents of myself as well as both of my fiancé's grandparents, whom have also all passed.

I am also incorporating a bunch of heirlooms into our wedding. I will be using my paternal grandparents wedding cake topper, using the same rosary beads that my grandma had twined around her bouquet around mine, using my grandma's purse, sewing my Great Grandma's crystal necklace into the comb of my veil, and we are using glass candle stick holders that belonged to my fiancé's grandmother for the candlesticks of our unity ceremony.

Maybe you could do a memorial table and/or incorporate heirlooms to honor them and have a piece of them at the wedding? I hope this helps and if these ideas don't work for you, that it at least inspires some brainstorming. Again, I offer my deepest condolences.

• Sydnie
    Dedicated July 2019
    Sydnie ·
    • Flag
    That is so helpful! Thank you so much! I'm sorry you lost your grandparents as well. Smiley sad I love your ideas! Very creative. We were thinking of a memorial table with pictures.
  • C
    Super July 2019
    Crystal ·
    • Flag
    Were doing this for my future mother in law who has passed.

Deaths in the family 1
  • K squared
    Super October 2017
    K squared ·
    • Flag
    We had a memory table for my husband's parents. Just their wedding picture and some flowers. Most weddings that I've been to have had this. I'm sorry for your loss..
  • Kelly
    Legend October 2022
    Kelly ·
    • Flag

Hey Sydnie! I'm so sorry for your loss. It's difficult during the planning process to lose loved ones. I think it's such a beautiful thing to honor your loved ones during the wedding day! I think a memorial table with photos and maybe some of their tokens will be great. If you have any heirlooms you want to incorporate into the wedding as well that could be a good way, too! I found an article that has a few more ideas on ways to honor your loved ones, I'll link it below!

10 Ways To Honor Your Loved Ones

• Sydnie
    Dedicated July 2019
    Sydnie ·
    • Flag
    Thank you everyone for the tips! It really means a lot to me
  • Mrs.Sanok
    VIP September 2018
    Mrs.Sanok ·
    • Flag

I am really sorry for your lose. It is so hard to lose someone that is so close to you. When we started our guest list my father passed away about a year before. Then year from our wedding date, while venue one of my very very close friends passed away and it was hard for me to take her off the guest list. I am very sorry.

What I did was I had pictures hanging off my flowers along with my dad's class ring.

The charms Deaths in the family 2

• HayMrsO
    Master October 2018
    HayMrsO ·
    • Flag

I wanted to honor my husbands parents and my grandparents. The idea of the empty seats seemed a bit morbid to me. We didn't really want to make a big display of pictures either, as that seemed a bit over the top.

I found picture charms on Etsy. I got one of my grandparents for me and I surprised my husband with a picture of his parents for his bout. He was very touched by that.

• Dedicated October 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    I’m so sorry for your loss..my method of showing the ones that passed is having specific table with their portraits on them and candles lit during the ceremony and the reception. I plan on having a sign that’ll say, “To the ones that we lost, but never forgotten.”
  • Sarah
    Dedicated December 2018
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    My fiancés aunt just passed away and we’re getting married next month- it’s been pretty hard on him because we were all rooting for her to make it to the wedding before her cancer struck her down. We are saving a seat in the front row for loved ones who couldn’t join us, having our officiant weave they into our ceremony intro (a moment of silence to remember those here in spirit) and my mom and his mom are getting photos for us to display by the entrance with a nice memory note for my grandparents and his aunt. It’s been an important aspect of planning that we mention them because we wouldn’t be there without the support of ALL our loved ones.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics