Rach
VIP May 2014

David's Bridal for Alterations??

Rach, on October 22, 2013 at 9:47 AM Posted in Planning 0 11
Saved Save

Okay, so I bought my dress off the rack from DB in September. I have an alterations appointment with them in March. But, from what I am reading, DB charges an arm and a leg for alterations. I have a simple, sheath, lace dress. Should I try to find somewhere local to go to save money? Or is it worth it to be able to trust it to them? Opinions, everyone?!

11 Comments

• ~*World Of Whimsical*~
    VIP November 2015
    ~*World Of Whimsical*~ ·
    • Flag

YES! Do not under any circumstances let their mediocre "seamstresses" touch your dress! You can definitely find someone local who is a whole lot cheaper and will do a much better quality of work. Check your vendor lists on here to see if you can find some reviews. If not, head to Yelp and see if you can find some reviews there.

• Mrs. Pezz
    VIP September 2013
    Mrs. Pezz ·
    • Flag

I went to them and ended up having a great experience. I thought the prices seemed fine, BUT I did not need any hemming (which I think is the most expensive thing) and I have never had a wedding dress altered before, haha! I had a wonderful experience with the woman who helped me. It seems like service in these areas are really hit or miss. I was too paranoid to take it anywhere else because if they screw it up, they replace your dress. It was a tough decision, but I liked the peace of mind.

• KayDwitWill
    Master May 2015
    KayDwitWill ·
    • Flag

I bought my dress at DB as well but I won't be going back there to have them do any alterations! I will be trying out a few other places.

• Rach
    VIP May 2014
    Rach ·
    • Flag

@Mrs. Pezz: I know exactly what you mean about the hit or miss. I initially went to one DB where the consultant barely paid me any attention. Then, I went to a different one because my aunt insisted, and it was the best possible experience. I don't think I will mind paying the extra money for the peace of mind, as you said.

Side note: The only alterations I will need will be letting the bust out (the dress is a size 2, but my girls are too big), and shortening it because it is way too long. The overlay of the dress is lace and scalloped, and the alterations consultant told me they keep the scalloped edge on there when they shorten it. That does sound very expensive. Yet another decision to make!

• Laura
    Master November 2013
    Laura ·
    • Flag

If you can find a good seamstress elsewhere, it would probably be cheaper for you. Ask around to family/friends and see who they have used. DB is hit or miss. My first alterations appt was awful. The seamstress was not a joy to work with. When I went for the second fitting, it was a different seamstress, and she was awesome. Unfortunately, she had to completely redo the bustle that the first seamstress did, because it was crap. I just had my last fitting last week, and the dress came out beautifully. It was expensive though. Like you mentioned, the hem was the most. I only had hem and bustle done, so I can't speak to what the cost would be for letting the bust out.

• Rach
    VIP May 2014
    Rach ·
    • Flag

@Laura: May I ask how much the hem cost? I have never had anything altered before, so I have no idea what to expect!

• SunshineJenn
    Master August 2014
    SunshineJenn ·
    • Flag

So about ten years ago, I bought a wedding dress from DB (that wedding never happened). It was an a-line and had embroidery work down at the bottom near the edge. I asked them how they would hem around that, since I'm only 5'1. They told me they'd just cut through it, because there is no other way to alter an a-line.

My mom used to make wedding dresses, so I knew they were lying. Don't take your dress there for alterations. They put in minimum effort and they are not always seasoned seamstresses.

• Rach
    VIP May 2014
    Rach ·
    • Flag

Thanks for the input! Keep it coming, everyone!

• Lindy13
    Super October 2013
    Lindy13 ·
    • Flag

If you can find someone else DO IT! The alterations through DB ended up being a mess! And my bustle didn't hold. My MOH had to safety pin the entire back (where the buttons were supposed to be) after the ceremony because the thin loops didn't hold. I ended up spending almost $350 on alterations for hem, bustle and taken in a little!

• Rach
    VIP May 2014
    Rach ·
    • Flag

Oh, my! I've heard good and bad things. I may get a quote from a local seamstress before going to my DB bridal appointment. At least then I will know what the competition is.

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

DB seamstresses, like the rest of the DB staff, can be great one place and terrible another. (It's a franchise, so a lot depends on the local owner.) However, if there is more than one at a particular location, you won't know which one will be doing your dress, so it's hard to get meaningful reviews. And DB overall tends to make up for lower dress prices by charging more on alterations than the independents do.

The one advantage DB has is that if they screw up the alterations, they will replace the dress. But of course, even that depends on their admitting they screwed up the alterations.

We went to an independent for alterations on our dresses. (Mine was originally from DB, though I got it through a consignment shop.) The total was about $100 per dress. That involved hemming NotFroofy's, taking out the bodice on mine, and bustling both of them. And we were very satisfied with the results.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics