Molly
Devoted November 2020

David's Bridal Alterations

Molly, on March 24, 2019 at 10:24 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 15
Saved Save
I was told by many people that David's Bridal alterations can cause sometimes more than the actual dress. For those who have gotten their dresses at David's Bridal is this true or does it just depend on what needs to be altered.

15 Comments

• VIP September 2019
    ·
    I can't speak on behalf of David's Bridal but I know my dress shop was way overpriced. I always heard find a personal seamstress with excellent reviews on professionalism, price, and quality. Recommendations are key
  • Molly
    Devoted November 2020
    Molly ·
    View Quoted Comment
    That makes sense. Thank you!
  • C
    Beginner August 2019
    Cheyenne ·
    I was told when I went to David's Bridal that alterations for the brides dress could cost up to $300. It just depend on how much you need altered.
  • Meaghan
    Dedicated April 2019
    Meaghan ·
    I bought my dress at Davids Bridal for $775 and ended up spending $360 for alterations. It really depends on what you need to get done - the cost to shorten the hem really varies depending on the style of dress. For example, I only needed to shorten it by like half an inch but because it has lace and an intricate hem, they charged me $200 just for the hem because it’s considered a couture hem. If it was more basic/less intricate it probably would only have been like $60 or something for the hem (that’s how much it cost for me to shorten a bridesmaid dress I bought last year)
  • Shelby
    Dedicated April 2019
    Shelby ·
    Hi! I had a good experience at David’s bridal for my alterations. I truly think it depends on the dress.
    My dress is a sheath style - I had it taken in, shoulders taken up, existing cups removed (weird shape) new cups put in, a beaded belt added, and a 3 point bustle. It was $220. It seemed like a decent amount for the work I was seeing that needed to be done. My dress has lace around the middle and top so they told me that adds to the price (basically they remove the lace and then do the alterations). It doesn’t hurt to shop around and get quotes but for me I had budgeted about $200 for alterations and the convenience of DB made sense. They did a nice job and it only took about 3 weeks.
  • Jessica
    Devoted July 2021
    Jessica ·
    One of my friends got hers altered there and had bad experience it was overpriced and lack of communication. The sales floor is good but not the alteration section.
  • JENNIFER
    Super May 2019
    JENNIFER ·
    I was actually freaking out thinking David’s bridal was going to cost me way too much for my alterations. But I checked with an outside seamstress and wow she was craZy expensive. David’s bridal was the best bet only at around $350. Which is for downsizing my dress and hemming it. I take my dress in on the 30th so I’ll have a better price point then. The shortening of the dress is the costly price because of the lace I have on it

David's Bridal Alterations 1
  • Denise
    Super September 2019
    Denise ·

I almost got my dress from them but the alterations pricing was why I didn't. Instead I went elsewhere and got a dress from them, there will be very little that needs altered and if it needs any it wont cost an arm and a leg and take 6 months. It also depends on what kind of alterations you need. If you need it taken in, out, sleeves added/removed, hemmed, its all going to depend on how much work is needed.

• Xiomi
    April 2019
    Xiomi ·
    Mine’s from DB. Only had one fitting for hem, to take in in the sides and to take in by the bust seams. Like said before, it all dependa on the dress. Mine is a detailed lace at the bottom so it was a little bit more. Dress was $875 and alterations were $320. Just went to pick up my dress after alterations and it was PERFECT!
    When you go to the 1st fitting, they will be giving you the costa per thing to be fix, and you’ll decide if you’re ok with it or not.
  • Erika
    Expert April 2019
    Erika ·
    I had dress altered at DB and had a good experience overall. You can always see what they would charge and then decide. I have a sheath dress with intricate lace layers and beading. Went to my first fitting, decided no hem needed, take in sides from bust to waist, change cups and add bustle... $388... more details below...
    The seamstress spent plenty of time showing me the bustle options (only 2 were shown but took about thirty mins). She intricately pinned each layer so I could see it and MOH took pics. Then she undid all her work, pinned everything for option two pics. I ultimately loved the first option. She was friendly and didn't even sigh that she had to undo it again to pin the first option. When I went to pick it up a month later, the bustle was messed up. It was another lady that helped me this time. She found the problem (basically the sides weren't symmetrical - I have like 20 something bustle points). They fixed it then so no problem. Took about twenty minutes. It was perfect when I put it back on. MOH took video while she showed how to do the bustle. They didn't rush me, made sure all was perfect and I was happy.
    Left with my dress and only had the one fitting and pickup. It really depends on your dress and what you need done. I just couldn't help but think that they'd have to fix it if there was an issue - even if it came to reordering the dress. That was my reassurance and made the cost worth it.
  • Paige
    Savvy March 2019
    Paige ·

My DB dress was $465 and my alterations were $70 to take in and $50 for the bustle. What put me over budget was buying a bustier and slip there! For my part, my experience was great from try on to alteration to pickup.

• Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy ·
    My dress was $900 and my alterations were $365 for hem, bustle, bra inserts, and added cap sleeves
  • Devin
    Super October 2019
    Devin ·
    My dress was $720 and they gave me an estimate of $300-$500 to hem, bustle and take in under the arm area.
  • S
    Dedicated April 2019
    Samantha ·

My dress was about $450 and alterations were around $200. I had the dress hemmed, cups put in, and straps added using the extra fabric from the hem.

• Tammy
    Super October 2018
    Tammy ·

I got my dress for $1200 at DB and spent about $400 in alterations knowing that if something happened to my dress they would replace it but if I went somewhere else that I would be SOL.

I had cups added, dress was taken in, straps shortened, dress was 4 layers that had to be hemmed and had a 14 point bustle (7 under, 7 over) it wasn't crazy considering. I just liked having the peace of mind which I actually need when they hemmed it and took the straps up it made the dress too short (not by much but it bugged me) they rush ordered a new dress and fixed it exactly how I liked it!

I know telling you I had issues probably isn't what you want to hear but they also fixed it ASAP and the dress came out amazing!

Comment on this discussion