Laura
Master July 2017

Credit Card Bill - YIKES!

Laura, on July 18, 2017 at 3:55 PM Posted in Planning 0 50
Saved Save

My credit card bills with all these wedding expenses have been astronomical the last few months! We can afford to pay everything off in full luckily but... yikes, I'm not used to seeing numbers this high. I just keep telling myself that things will go back to normal in October (we close on our new house next month, then we have 2 out of state weddings that require flights and a Labor Day weekend away that requires flights in September.) Is anyone else looking at their bank accounts and credit cards and freaking out?! I'm ready for life and spending to calm down!

50 Comments

• CoolKat
    Super October 2017
    CoolKat ·
    • Flag

Every time I get a check I have to put it towards the wedding. I will be so glad when I can save just for the sake of saving again.

• LillyBean17
    Master October 2017
    LillyBean17 ·
    • Flag

I hope you have points or miles lol. We get cash back on the main credit card for every purchase, no matter what category it falls under. We have a nice build up now!

• Laura
    Master July 2017
    Laura ·
    • Flag

Me too @CoolKat. I'm such a saver so this is killing me.

@LillyBean yes FH and I both have points. We wiped out a good portion of his points upgrading to first class for our honeymoon, and staying in a gorgeous hotel in one of our cities in Spain. It normally cost $650/night and we got it for "free!" Gotta love points!

• MusicTeacher
    Expert August 2017
    MusicTeacher ·
    • Flag

I felt the exact same way a couple days ago!! It took me half of my personal savings and a third of my checking account to pay if off! Now I'm going to only use debit, and be VERY stingy at the grocery store to help make up for it. Lol

• Amanda
    Super May 2018
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

Yes! I use my credit card for the 1.5% cash back, not that it's much in most instances, but it can add up! But my bill has been much higher with wedding planning and as you described, other weddings we're attending or part of a bridal party for. If it's not this bill though it's another one! There's a light and hopefully all will go back to normal soon!

• gettingDehmered
    Devoted August 2017
    gettingDehmered ·
    • Flag

I was just thinking about this last night...watching my savings deplete and having to use 0% cards for other wedding expenses. He better be thrilled with the wedding of his dreams, tears better roll down his cheeks and cherish this day forever. haha

• MrsC2B
    Expert December 2017
    MrsC2B ·
    • Flag

We had money saved for the wedding and we are getting rewards on whatever we spend. But yeah, it hurts to think that I am

Paying so much for one day.

• Kayla
    Super November 2017
    Kayla ·
    • Flag

Omg Yes! I mean I have money but I'm not use to seeing my accounts so low. It makes me feel like I have no money and it's stressing me out. I will be happy next year when I can start saving again!

• Ella
    Super August 2017
    Ella ·
    • Flag

I feel you. our vendor payments are all coming due, my bank account is quickly dwindling.

• Wanda
    Super February 2018
    Wanda ·
    • Flag

We had the money for the wedding already saved before we started. However, I ended up having to put my condo on the market way earlier than I had hoped, and my tenant (who had planned on buying it) ended up moving out of state. Didn't have the $$ to put the condo on the market, so now my CC bill is way higher than I like. I'm crossing my fingers that I close on the sale next Tuesday (if I can get ONE thing off my plate from 17 years ago!

• JGCT
    Super July 2017
    JGCT ·
    • Flag

Same here OP. The only silver lining (besides being married), is we just hit mosaic status on jet blue (we have a jet blue cc, as we only fly them to go home to see my family from FL). I was super excited to hit that status level, hahaha.

• LoveLoveLove
    Super October 2017
    LoveLoveLove ·
    • Flag

YES!! The thing I hate most is not having as much extra money each month. We used to go away almost every month, then wedding planning and paying happened! Now I have to settle for looking at every else's getaway pics on FB.

• Isobel
    Dedicated October 2017
    Isobel ·
    • Flag

It always scares me nowadays. Thank god we can pay it off - and our honeymoon will be almost "free"! It's going to be nice when we can relax again and put more money into savings!

• QueSeraSera
    VIP December 2017
    QueSeraSera ·
    • Flag

Yup!!! On the upside, the cash back amounts have skyrocketed as well! So no complaints there

• Laura
    Master July 2017
    Laura ·
    • Flag

Glad I'm not the only one! I can't wait for this spending to die down. I keep telling myself it's all one time costs and the end is in sight. Sort of... moving and closing on a house next month won't be cheap either.

• JRae
    Expert September 2017
    JRae ·
    • Flag

Right there with you!! Yay for miles!! We are hoping to save the miles though for an anniversary trip Smiley smile

• Bee
    Master April 2017
    Bee ·
    • Flag

I felt this way!! The first paycheck after the wedding we both went shopping for fun clothes and realized how good it felt that we can actually spend the money without it being for the wedding. Putting every available dollar to the wedding for our 18 month engagement is not missed whatsoever. Nor do we miss the big cc payments everymonth.

• kelly
    Super June 2017
    kelly ·
    • Flag

It's a really really good feeling afterwards when you're done spending. We are finally back to saving for life in general and it's nice to have money in the bank account again. Like you said, on the bright side our points paid for a couple expenses for the wedding.

• Keisha
    Master September 2018
    Keisha ·
    • Flag

We have the wedding money in an account just sitting there looking all pretty. I will probably cry when we start paying things off and it completely liquidates. A lot of our vendors didn't take credit for the initial deposit or any payments after so we didn't get to really rack up our travel points

• Amanda
    Super September 2017
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

Same boat but all of the purchases have been great for my Chase points! All of the early wedding charges paid for all except $400 of our honeymoon accommodations - our points saved us A LOT of money! I am looking forward to October though when I can start putting money in our savings account rather than the wedding account. ETA: typos

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics