Amber
Devoted November 2018

Couples shower

Amber, on Dec 7, 2017 at 11:07 AM Posted in Community Conversations

Let me start off by saying a couple things: 1. I am not planning anything myself

2. I know it's super early

3. My sister (MOH), fmil and friends have already asked

So... originally when I was asked about a bridal shower, I really didn't want one. I reconsidered when fmil asked bc she really wanted to throw one. Still, I still felt like eh no, didn't want one.

Apparently, couples showers have been a trending thing and seem a lot more exciting and now we'd consider doing that. I know you invite people who are invited to the wedding, but in this case, do you allow people to bring a date!? Not a social unit, I know they are grouped together. For truly single people. I wouldn't plan to add a plus one on our shower guest list, but idk the etiquette for something like that. Thank you!!

ETA: clarity

Share:

13 Comments

• RealLindseyO
    Master October 2017
    RealLindseyO ·

I thought you already declined a shower twice. You can't go back and tell them "oh actually we want a shower and we want it to be a couples shower."

• Amber
    Devoted November 2018
    Amber ·

I didn't tell them anything specific. It was just my thoughts. I never really wanted one.

My actual response was "it's way to early to decide on that. We can visit the topic closer to the time."

• RealLindseyO
    Master October 2017
    RealLindseyO ·

Oh...your OP says you told them "no thank you" twice.

Significant others are always invited as a social unit.

• Amber
    Devoted November 2018
    Amber ·

Thank you. I just edited my post to be more clear

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·

I cannot think of anything I'd want to do less, as a single person, than go to a stranger's shower....sorry, just being honest. SO's get an invite.

But if you don't want a shower, don't let them throw a shower.

• Amber
    Devoted November 2018
    Amber ·

Any type of shower I have been to, bridal or baby, most of them have been awkward and not super fun ... hence why I didn't want one.

Hearing about the trending "couples shower" has given me hope that we could have a great time. Plus, I have pretty fun people who would plan it.

I wouldn't want to be insensitive, so I wasn't sure about the protocol. Single or not, I wouldn't want to go to a shower lol but these seem fun!

• Megan
    Expert September 2017
    Megan ·

Maybe call it an engagement party instead? I still think the rule applies that you are invited to the pre party you are invited to the wedding. Have alcohol at the party, always helps

• Amber
    Devoted November 2018
    Amber ·

People have actually asked about hosting a bridal shower. It wouldn't be now, it would be late next year, so I think it would be super late for an engagement party.

Alcohol is a must!!

Has anyone had a couples shower or been to one?

• K
    Dedicated November 2018
    Kira ·

I've never been to a couples shower, but seems like that would be fun. However my FH would probably be a 100% cool with never being invited to a wedding shower.

• caitlin
    Super May 2017
    caitlin ·

We had a couples shower as one of ours (2 showers total, which i don't recommend but feel fortunate to have people who love us, haha)--it was really fun. it was the hosts' idea. SOs were invited along but some opted not to come, which was fine with us. it was a cocktail themed evening party, so fairly non traditional.

• Rebekah
    Devoted June 2018
    Rebekah ·

We're having a couples shower. I wanted this because it's mostly FH's family attending and I don't know most of them so I wanted him to come for support lol. We're just inviting single people, no dates and couples.

• Charli
    Expert May 2018
    Charli ·

We threw a couples shower for my friend. It was a ton of fun! We didn't extend plus ones to anyone not in a relationship but they didn't care because they knew a lot of people there anyways. My FH built a cornhole and the guys played out in the backyard and drank beer and watched the football game. The girls were inside talking and drinking mimosas.

• Amber
    Devoted November 2018
    Amber ·

Those experiences sound much more pleasant that a traditional bridal shower.

@ Rebekah- I know my fmil would want to invite a lot of her family, which is fine, but idk a lot of them very well and would want my FH there as well!

Comment on this discussion