Kate
Savvy November 2018

Coordinator conundrum

Kate, on January 11, 2019 at 1:35 PM Posted in Planning
What kind of recourse do I have for a wedding planner who didn't? My wedding was chaos. It looked beautiful because my bridal party spent hours decorating the venue the day before, but things were not as they appeared. I found out two days before the wedding she assumed we were using plastic cups at my formal affair on NYE! She never did get enough of any kind of glasses She forgot my that someone would need to serve beer from the tap bar we rented and claimed the tap didn't fit and a several other excuses to cover her mistake. As a result, my husband was running around getting a different keg, ice etc. and then there were no glasses plastic or otherwise because she knew it couldn't be used workout extra bar help. There were no lemons or garnishes. No dessert plates were ever put out. She didn't coordinate with all of the vendors and blamed me when she didn't know what was going on! She failed to ensure the serious tank had been cleaned at the venue and the toilets overflowed. She didn't come to my certain at the last second because she was waiting for deliveries, which were scheduled to come 2 hours before the reception and we're late. When I walked in, things were much the same as I left them the day before, with the tables that were delivered undone. One was my candy table for which I had handmade special favor boxes for and wanted displayed just so. She left my bridesmaids to throw things on the table while she went to change! Other vendors told me they had never seen a planner do so little Going through the photographer's film, there were about 7 shots of her in which she insists he was checking the lighting. She acted like a guest, opting out of the skirt suit she generally wore and replacing it with a high low ball gown which put her half sleeve pretty front and center. She didn't secure things or put them away the night of the wedding and family photos ended up soaked with dew. While we boxed my items and cleaned up, she wandered around looking for 3 missing glasses (which would cost me $6, if we were late leaving the venue, they'd charge us $1500). She was just that sorry of oblivious. When I complained to her she contended these things were not her job. We agreed on partial planning (she insisted I didn't need full planning because I had my theme, decor, hired some if the vendors on my own, did my own invites etc) and day of coordination for $1500, which was $1000 less than full planning. She claims $1500 was only for day of. Even so, she didn't ensure she had everything she needed from the vendors I hired, didn't give them a timeline and things got very confused. I gave her all the info I had and she simply didn't act on it for any vendor she didn't bring in. Is $1500 really a day of rate? As the professional shouldn't she have been responsible to ensure all vendors were under her control and knew what to do and when? What can I do to ensure no one else ends up in my shoes? It was just so disorganized, I would have managed better alone. Don't "Plan like a Diva" on the Traineasure Coast of Florida.
Share:

21 Comments

• Kate
    Savvy November 2018
    Kate
    Sorry about all the wrong autocorrect words. I was in a hurry 馃榿
  • Kenisha
    Champion June 2019
    Kenisha Online
    I鈥檇 contact the manager or head of the department and ask to have a meeting.
  • Kenisha
    Champion June 2019
    Kenisha Online
    Also I don鈥檛 know what her showing her half sleeve has to do with anything.

Write nad reviews on here, Yelp, Google, etc.
  • Alexandra
    Super June 2019
    Alexandra Online
    I鈥檓 sorry this happened to you.

Review your contract to see if they failed to fulfill any obligations and be sure to bring anything you find up when you share your dissatisfaction. And, of course, write online reviews to share your experience.
  • Rachel
    Super July 2019
    Rachel
    That鈥檚 awful and I would be LIVID!! The coordinators job is to make sure everything that goes wrong you have no idea because they fix it and make it work. It sounds like she鈥檚 using the fact that you paid for DOC as an excuse for being lazy and inept. I would fight the charges for at least a partial refund and once that鈥檚 done look at your agreements to make sure you鈥檙e allowed to leave bad reviews and post bad reviews on every site you can.
  • Kate
    Savvy November 2018
    Kate
    View Quoted Comment
    It's about reading the situation and knowing what is appropriate. My parents are 80 years old as are their friends and they are very conservative. Many of my friends have tats but didn't choose my wedding to showcase them.
  • Victoria
    VIP October 2018
    Victoria
    I'm so sorry this happened to you!

It does sound like you had a terrible coordinator, but it also sounds like you had general vendor trouble too. I thought, and I could be mistaken because we did an all-inclusive venue, that the caterer provided the plates and glasses? Who's responsibility was it to hire a bartender? For the timeline, we put it together with our DJ and provided it to our coordinator.

It sounds like you wanted her to act as a full planner (like when you say she should have made sure with the venue that the septic was cleaned), but only paid for day of services, which you didn't get either. What was specifically listed out in your contract? Unfortunately you may not have much recourse other than leaving her a bad review.
  • Kate
    Savvy November 2018
    Kate
    The problem is the contract isn't very specific. I hired her for her expertise because there are so many details to keep track of (the venue was a private home you rent, so none of the things that come with a restaurant were there). She didn't give me the benefit of that expertise which is the job. It's just a major beware to everyone else that this one overpromised and under performed. I am double checking my court options and reviewing her where I can to ensure she doesn't do it to anyone else
  • Kate
    Savvy November 2018
    Kate
    View Quoted Comment
    She had me rent the plates,China and silver through her as well as the decor rentals and cook prep stuff for the caterer, but no glassware until I found out she was planning on plastic. This only came up because my father had a HUGE Balthazar of wine we wanted to serve and if asked her to get decanters. When I checked whether she had them she told me she got carafes and I explained I really wanted proper decanters. Her response was "I don't understand why you need to decent something you're just found to serve in a plastic glass." She has some sort of relationship with the caterer which still isn't very clear to me, but I believe she gets an incentive from her vendors. I repeatedly told her I wanted full planning and would pay more. She insisted I didn't need it, that I had done much of the work and she cut me a deal for $1500 which was supposed to be like full planning only I had hired the florist, photo booth, caricature people, magician and buses (I asked her to find me a bus.. After 3 weeks she had called one person and his best offer was twice as much as I found through a thumbtack search which took 5 minutes.. she didn't get things straight with the driver and ensure he did what he was supposed to and people were stranded). She says the bus was never her job because I hired them, but I hired them because she failed to find one and even so a day of would take care of that. I'm rambling, but I'm still miffed.
  • Cynthia's and Robert  Wedding Day
    VIP January 2020
    Cynthia's and Robert Wedding Day
    I am confused if she wasn't hired as a DOC but a wedding planner what was her duties? How much did she implement before your wedding. I have a DOC and she does periodic check ends. And she has an open door policy she will do a walk thur of the venue with me. She have given suggestion that are cost effective for my wedding. I honestly think she dropped the ball big time on this one. And what's so sad at the least she could have apologized for not being on the same page as far as planning your wedding. Really plastic cups.
  • Kate
    Savvy November 2018
    Kate
    View Quoted Comment
    That's what's most upsetting! The entire point was that I not be bothered with the details during the wedding, but she didn't address them prior and I didn't know what needed to be addressed. She should have noticed the holes in the plot and said something, even if she didn't think it was her job that's common courtesy, right? I know things vary by region but I also think $1500 for DOC is a high price which I would not have paid especially if it's have known.
    She says plastic glasses are common (and I agree they are- at a BBQ, not my wedding)
    VIP January 2020
    View Quoted Comment
    Was she hired as a planner or a DOC? Because if this isn't her job and that isn't her job what actually is her job. I live in NYC and my DOC fee was $950 we negotiated on the price because I couldn't afford more than $1000
  • Kate
    Savvy November 2018
    Kate
    View Quoted Comment
    $950 in NYC??! I'm comparatively in the sticks, FL. She was supposed to plan and do DOC and it was fine right until the day before..
    VIP January 2020
    She deserves to get a bad review at the least. Or I hope you can partial payment back. Because she didn't do what should have been in her job description. Because if she hired some of the vendors. It was her responsibility that all vendors were on the same page and she was still responsible for following up with the vendors that you hired for your wedding day . And that should have been done a week before your wedding day. My DOC wants all my vendors contact information that I hired. I am just taken aback by your DOC actions she probably got a fee for every service she made you rent.
  • Kate
    Savvy November 2018
    Kate
    View Quoted Comment
    That's exactly what I think. She was only interested in the vendors she brought in (which she claims she did as a favor) and I know she works for the caterer part time in the office at least. She had the other contacts and contracts but did nothing with them! Sounds like you found a true professional who is honest!
  • C
    Master November 2019
    Caytlyn

I would review your contract and see which expectations she failed to meet. Send her an email with those details and tell her how much of a refund you're expecting. If she refuses, I would start writing reviews on WW, The Knot, and social media until she takes you seriously.

As for the price, I'm paying $1300 for a DOC in Kentucky so $1500 doesn't seem that off to me.

• Deborah
    Savvy February 2022
    Deborah
    This is so unfortunate. Tonsee everything falling a part and someone you have paid quite a bit of money to not even be apologetic but brush it off or push it back on you is disheartening. What bride wouldn鈥檛 want their day perfect. You entrusted someone and they really let you down. My maid of honor and matron of honor (yes I鈥檝e elected on both) will be my assistant planners and then I will find someone I trust to be my day of person. I鈥檝e been back and forth on if I should just crack and get a 鈥減rofessional鈥 this just pushed me back to thinking I can do this with my friends and family and enough research
  • Kate
    Savvy November 2018
    Kate
    View Quoted Comment
    Were it not for the wedding party and family things would have been a real mess! They really scrambled to keep things from me and fix them. It was beautiful and most things went unnoticed by guests, so it was still amazing, but that was despite her, not because of. I just see so many reviews of people who are so grateful to their planner. I'm sure she's the exception and not the rule. Interesting regional price ranges..
  • Rae
    Dedicated July 2019
    Rae
    I would definitely review the contract and address the items specifically listed there. Some of the items you mention really don鈥檛 sound like her responsibility (I.e. septic tank) but others truly are. Ultimately you hired her as a DOC and a coordinator should be handling ALL vendors not just the ones she acquired. She dropped the ball.
  • Deborah
    Savvy February 2022
    Deborah
    View Quoted Comment
    Up until a few days ago I didn鈥檛 even consider a planner or coordinator but I will say I鈥檝e been looking into it at least. I agree I see many people speak very highly of their planner.

Comment on this discussion