Zoe O.
Devoted November 2019

Church/how Brides: Show off Your Venue!

Zoe O., on April 8, 2019 at 11:00 AM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 15
Saved Save

I don't know if anyone else here is a "Church Crawler" but I just love seeing churches and houses of worship, especially older ones; so, I thought it might be fun for those of us getting married in a house of worship (church, synagogue, mosque, temple, etc.) to show off our venues a bit.I am getting married at Christ Church Cathedral in Indianapolis. It is the oldest house of worship in the state of Indiana still used for regular service. Although it's the cathedral of the Diocese of Indianapolis, it is a rather small church and it sits in the midst of the skyscrapers on Monument Circle, the heart of the city. The interior is reminiscent of older European parishes with gorgeous woodwork, stained glass, and masonry.As a child, I always loved walking by this church whenever we'd visit downtown Indy. I actually dreamed of having my wedding in a building so beautiful - a little piece of history in the middle of the modern city. When my fiance and I ended up moving to Indianapolis, we decided to give their worship service a try and found it to be the best church community we've ever known and have since become members. This was great for many reasons, but I was very excited to realize this meant I'd be getting married in my childhood dream church!It's perfect for our wedding, which is very traditional and formal but intimate, as per tradition of my Irish heritage. The church was even designed by an Irish architect, so it looks like the churches you see in Ireland! I couldn't have asked for a better venue!

Angel Stained GlassChurch/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 1Nativity Stained Glass near AltarChurch/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 2PlaqueChurch/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 3Church exteriorChurch/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 4AltarChurch/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 5SanctuaryChurch/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 6Sanctuary during ServiceChurch/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 7

15 Comments

• Maria
    Super October 2019
    Maria Online ·
    • Flag

Hey fellow Indianapolis bride!!

I'm getting married at Holy Family Catholic Church in Oldenburg, Indiana. It's currently undergoing a renovation so I'm super excited to see how beautiful it looks in time for our wedding! Bye blue carpet! lol The church (and town) has a ton of German heritage which is super special to me. Smiley smile

Church/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 8

Holy_Family_Catholic_Church_%28Oldenburg

Holy_Family_Catholic_Church_%28Oldenburg

• Zoe O.
    Devoted November 2019
    Zoe O. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I've actually been by that church many times and had no idea it was so ornate and gorgeous on the inside! I'm sure it will only look better after the renovation and I'm sure it will create a lovely and elegant atmosphere for your wedding!

• Maria
    Super October 2019
    Maria Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you, small world!

I love that church on the circle, I have walked by it thousands of times and it has the most perfect location! I've never been inside but from your photos you will have the most beautiful ceremony Smiley smile

• FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·
    • Flag

We got married in a cute little hometown church in Palatka, Florida called Trinity United Methodist Church, 1 hour south of Jacksonville! My husband grew up attending this church, his aunt sings in the choir, his family members have all gotten married here, it's so special to all of them! I am also Methodist but I grew up in PA so I didn't have a "home" church down in Florida once I moved. We had the best ceremony ever and it was so special and romantic for us! We did a unity candle ceremony and everything. It wasn't anything super fancy but the sentimental value it holds is far more precious for us!

Church/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 9

Church/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 10

Church/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 11

• Zoe O.
    Devoted November 2019
    Zoe O. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

It really is a small world! When I was a kid, we went through Oldenburg all the time on the way to the lake. To this day, my mom swears that Oldenburg Inn has the best fried chicken in the world. haha.

If you're ever on the circle and the church doors are open, feel welcome to pop in! If there is no service in progress, they leave the space open for self-guided tours and even offer a brochure explaining the history and details of several points of the cathedral.

• Zoe O.
    Devoted November 2019
    Zoe O. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

It is always great when you can be married in one of your home churches. It always make the ceremony seem warmer and more personal, not to mention when you have a million things going on for a wedding, it's comforting to have the "home court" advantage! Also, I love your welcome sign!

• EllieRose
    Expert February 2020
    EllieRose ·
    • Flag

We are getting married in my home church where my dad is the Pastor! I'll be the fourth generation to be married in this sanctuary!

ChurchChurch/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 12SanctuaryChurch/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 13

• earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag

OP, I really like the inside of your church!

I found this church in Sonoma that I fell in love with how beautiful it was in its simplicity. The pastor was so warm and did a wonderful job officiating our wedding.

St. Andrew Presbyterian ChurchChurch/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 14

Church/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 15

Church/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 16

• Zoe O.
    Devoted November 2019
    Zoe O. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I love old fashioned churches like this. They are so simple and so elegant in an understated way. It reminds me of the kinds of churches I've seen out on the east coast. And what wonderful history it holds for your family. You're lucky to be married in a church so closely connected to your family and life.

• Zoe O.
    Devoted November 2019
    Zoe O. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you! I really like your church as well. It's so unique and the exterior fits in so perfectly with its surroundings. I also really love that the decor is Christmas and winter themed without sticking out or pulling any focus.

• T
    Dedicated June 2018
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    This is the church we got married in. It was the closest one to our reception venue.

Church/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 17

Church/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 18
  • Zoe O.
    Devoted November 2019
    Zoe O. ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

The stained glass is gorgeous and it looks like you got a ton of natural light, which is always a plus!

• Alanna
    Beginner January 2020
    Alanna ·
    • Flag

My church is so small compared to some these! But, wow these are gorgeous! We chose to get married in my church because it was important to me since this is where I grew up.

Church/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 19 Church/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 20

• Expert October 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    I can’t remember all of the details but we were very impressed with our chosen churches history. It was the very first united Methodist churches in our area and has been standing since 1700 or 1800. The area we’re getting married in is the original church before they added on for more space for children’s church, etc. The bell still rings every service and will he rung as we exit after saying our vows. We didn’t get many photos because we were in awe most of the tour.

Church/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 21

Church/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 22

Church/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 23
  • Dedicated June 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    We are getting married at st. Mary of the Mount, Pittsburgh, Pa. Apart from the beauty of this wonderful Parish, the view is to die for. It over looks the City of Pittsburgh.🥰🥰
    I love it and can’t believe we’re getting married there.

Church/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 24

Church/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 25

Church/how Brides: Show off Your Venue! 26

Comment on this discussion