P.F.
Super May 2018

christmas gift stress

P.F., on November 25, 2017 at 7:23 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 14
Saved Save

Just want to vent but if anybody has any ideas that's cool too! My FMIL is the hardest person to shop for! Since she dresses like she's in her 20's (and looks amazing) I would like to get her clothes because her and I share similar taste. There are SO many cute things she would rock but I can't because her size is a huge mystery to her sons! She got a boob job and has a slim waste so basically anything I find that I think she would wear my FH says no because he thinks it'll either be too big in the waste or her boobs will pop out. I can't ask her myself because their relationship is super distant so I don't have her number. She doesn't cook AT ALL, doesn't drink, she works in the perfume industry so anything scent related would be a waste because she already has it, never uses gift cards, never uses any of the spa/nail certificates I've given her, loves her dogs, loves singing stuffed toys, and is a hoarder. She's not sentimental so monogrammed things or pictures CONTINUED

14 Comments

• P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag

Would mean nothing to her. I’ve already exhausted all my jewelry options. She’s flashy so she likes “bling” not those charm bracelets or necklaces you would normally think of getting your FMIL. Of course when I Google gift ideas or go to pinterest or any other site all they have are those sentimental “mom” ideas. *sigh* Rant over!

• MaryEllen
    Expert October 2016
    MaryEllen ·
    • Flag

Restaurant gift certificate? Flowers?

• LillyBean17
    Master October 2017
    LillyBean17 ·
    • Flag

One of the reasons we told our family we will only be buying gifts for nieces and nephews this year...

• LillyBean17
    Master October 2017
    LillyBean17 ·
    • Flag

Check out cratejoy.com. there is bound to be something on there she would enjoy.

• Laura
    Dedicated September 2018
    Laura ·
    • Flag

Doggy monthly subscription box?

• A
    Beginner May 2019
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

I would go with clothes. And just get a gift receipt. Also go with the smaller size your thinking of. I'm chesty with a small waist and people try to get me the size up for my chest. But I wind up looking like I'm trying to hide something bc the stomach part is so big on the shirt.

• Celia Milton
    January 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

I heart dogs. online, has cute clothes, mugs, etc, and some of the money goes to animal charities.

• dancedancedance
    Savvy June 2019
    dancedancedance ·
    • Flag

A nice scarf? Wall art?

• Leila
    Super October 2017
    Leila ·
    • Flag

Chocolate ? Wine?

• P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag

Wow! Thank you everyone! You all have such great ideas! Some of them seem so obvious that I am kicking myself for not thinking of them. Y’all actually gave me enough ideas that I can keep a list for next year too lol

@Amanda: Thank you for the insight. I definitely would have gone the wrong way with sizes like you mentioned. I think I’ll get those shirts then and leave the gift receipt. Thank you Smiley smile

@Lillybean: My family is the same way! We don’t give gifts to each other because there’s so many of us it’d be too expensive! But FH family is all about those gifts and they have to be wrapped in wrapping paper. None of that giftbag with tissue paper nonsense. They would die if they saw how my family does Christmas lol

• Kristen328
    Super September 2018
    Kristen328 ·
    • Flag

My dad is also impossible to shop for. He always tells my sister and I to not bother with gifts. We always end up giving my parents a gift certificate to a restaurant they like.

I would go with something that has to do with her dogs. My friend's sons commissioned an artist to create a (very detailed and beautiful) portrait of her three dogs. Maybe something like that?

• P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag

@Leila, unfortunately she doesn't care for chocolate and is very heavily against drinking. There are so many cute wine options too :p

@Kristen: I really like that idea because I do a lot of painting and wood burning so one year I gave a couple wood burnings to my FBIL and FMIL loved it. She asked me to do one of her favorite dog but I never received a picture. A painting would probably be even better if I could get my hands on a photograph.

• RustyTheDog
    Dedicated December 2017
    RustyTheDog ·
    • Flag

I got my FMIL towels. Everyone likes nice new towels (or fun Christmas ones)

• P.F.
    Super May 2018
    P.F. ·
    • Flag

@RustyTheDog, she doesn't have fun towels so maybe towels with a dog!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics