Katie
Devoted August 2019

Choosing Mua??

Katie, on January 28, 2019 at 4:23 PM Posted in Hair and Makeup 0 19
Saved Save
How did everyone (who doesn't have a talented friend/family member) choose a makeup artist? Did you do a trial before signing the contract? Unsure of how to go about this part!

19 Comments

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·

I used wedding wire's vendor search, and compared reviews / prices for MUA in my area. I found one that was reasonably priced, had good reviews, and I liked the pictures she had in her gallery. I hired her and signed the contract without even meeting her, lol.

• Brit
    Devoted May 2019
    Brit ·

Mine was recommended by a family friend. But since I am so particular, I also searched her on fb and pinterest to see her work. I worked out a deal with her to do my engagement photos and if it didn't go how I liked, then i was able to go with someone else. Lucky me, I loved how she did my makeup and hair. I also knew she was the one to do my hair when she sent me a photo of a similar style that I want for the wedding.

• Jeanelle
    Super September 2018
    Jeanelle ·
    View Quoted Comment

Same! I could have done my makeup myself but didn't want to risk it considering we were waking up at the crack of dawn and I wanted my makeup to be set especially cause I was planning to dance all afternoon/evening.

We only had a best man and maid of honor, and she didn't need to have her makeup done, but did for hair. I probably reached out to about 10+ different vendors and quickly found there was a minimum which was beyond frustrating. It came down to a couple vendors who did a more natural look, was within budget, and who could accommodate my tiny party/had no minimum, and whoever had great communication. I hired and signed the contract without meeting her, and she recommended me somebody to do hair with similar requirements.

I had my trial with her and she ended up being such an integral part of my day. Her presence calmed me, we seriously bonded during my trial, and she's really such a great human. Anyhow, you'd be surprised who you can find on WeddingWire! They might turn out to be your best friend!

• Danielle
    Master June 2019
    Danielle ·
    View Quoted Comment

That's awesome you had such a great experience! Hopefully my MUA will turn out to be someone I can really click with too, lol fingers crossed! MY hairstylist is my cousin, so I already know we get along haha.

• Emilie
    Super April 2019
    Emilie ·
    I've basically been stalking MUA fb/Instagram pages to find one I like. I honestly cant afford to have multiple test runs at $100 each time.. 🤷‍♀️
  • Cristy
    Rockstar May 2020
    Cristy ·
    View Quoted Comment

I did this too. I haven't hired one yet, because we pushed out our date 10 months. So, now it's a little early to do that.

But it was all about the research in the end, as I'm finding with everything. This is a really good site, even just for getting started.

• Darcy
    Dedicated May 2019
    Darcy ·
    I used wedding wire and local FB wedding consignment groups to send messages out asking for quotes. Then I narrowed it down by those that were within my budget. Then stalking all their pictures and seeing which style matched mine. The MUA I chose does makeup for pageant queens so I knew she was going to be top notch. Because I booked her so early she discounted her peak season prices! I have my trial in a few months I’m so excited!
  • Tamara
    VIP August 2019
    Tamara ·

I looked at a few make up artists portfolios that I found in a facebook group of wedding vendors. Once I narrowed it down to three, I went to a couple of trials and chose the best one of the bunch before signing a contract.

• Natalie
    Devoted June 2019
    Natalie ·

I searched MUAs recommended in the local Facebook groups I'm in and messaged a few to get specific pricing. I prefer to go with a MUA who is doing business on her own. I've noticed that salons and companies will charge an arm and a leg for "bridal" makeup and sometimes charge a travel fee, require a minimum number of people getting their makeup done, etc. I chose a local girl who charged a reasonable amount (bride/bridesmaids only $50 each!) which was the least expensive I could find, but she's still very talented. She did my trial at my house and brought her whole setup (light, chair, all her supplies, etc.)

She said if I decided to go with her she required half down as a deposit to hold the date, but she didn't require me to commit anything before the trial. I highly recommend a trial because you get to spend time with the MUA as well and see if you get along. You'll be spending an hour with her on your special day, so I think it's important to like them!

• Charlee
    Dedicated March 2019
    Charlee ·

So, I definitely struggled with this. I am having my wedding about an hour & a 1/2 from where I live, so I wanted to try to find a MUA/ Hairstylist close to the venue... well, closer. I definitely looked at MUA/Hairstylist website after website, trying to narrow down my search from their pictures. I finally had it narrowed down, I wanted to do a trial run, but then I started thinking about setting up multiple trial runs and having to pay for all of them, and most of the salons/businesses wanted contracts completed and deposits before the trial run... I was very overwhelmed and wanted to nail down a stylist/MUA.... Well needless to say I narrowed down my search, signed a contract, and went for my trial. It was kind of oh a whim, but I love the young lady that is doing my hair & makeup. She's awesome and my trial went extremely well.

It's just going to be a manner of you narrowing down a search and contacting the vendors. I would definitely have an idea of what you want down, so when your looking through photos of vendors, if you see something close to your desired look you can know what direction to go in.

I hope this helps! Good Luck!

• Katie
    Devoted August 2019
    Katie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    That's what I'm hoping for! I kind of want to do a trial first because I don't want to spend all that money to be uncomfortable with the person who will be up in my face for an hour on the big day, ya know? Also seems like most people book first then do a trial.
  • Katie
    Devoted August 2019
    Katie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for your input! Sounds like most people do it on a whim (after looking at pics and reviews) and have had good experiences!
  • Katie
    Devoted August 2019
    Katie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Wow! Sounds like you got a great deal! Also am thinking of doing a trial before I book for this reason.
  • Soon2Bmrsp
    VIP May 2019
    Soon2Bmrsp ·

I was thinking ULTA and was going to do a trial..but my future daughter is going to do

• Sarah
    Dedicated April 2019
    Sarah ·

I used hashtags on instagram. My wedding is a semi-destination wedding, so I wanted to find someone local to the area. I saw her work on instagram, read up on articles that were published about her, and viewed her website and facebook. I sent her my deposit before meeting as well and was incredibly happy when I did get my trial done.

• Mary
    Dedicated July 2019
    Mary ·

I researched all the makeup artists and salons that offered wedding makeup in the area and clicked through all of the photos they had online. Honestly what helped me make the final decision was the eyebrows! A lot of makeup artists' photos seemed like they didn't know how to fill in people's eyebrows properly. Also if all of the photos showed women with WAYYY too much makeup on they were out.

• Brittany
    Master April 2019
    Brittany ·
    View Quoted Comment

I did exactly this lol trial is this Saturday! Fingers crossed I made a good choice!

• S
    Devoted April 2021
    Soon2BMrsR ·

I used Wedding Wire's search option, which gave me a long list. Then I looked through the various websites until I found someone who's style I liked. I called the salon up and made an appointment and we discussed what I would like to have done. She told me to bring in a picture. I had a mock up done and I think I'm good to go.

• Kristy
    Dedicated April 2019
    Kristy ·

I asked my hair stylist if she could come do hair and help me find a makeup artist, but she was unavailable. So I just asked the venue for their preferred partners and chose the one with the dreamiest Instagram page. Maybe not the most scientific, but I'm obsessed with their pictures and I know I'll feel pretty on my big day!

Comment on this discussion