Angel
Super March 2014

Changing last name

Angel, on November 14, 2013 at 9:14 AM Posted in Planning 0 30
Saved Save

Did any of you ladies get your name change BEFORE the wedding date. I know the marriage license is good for 30 days. ( I am in Texas, dont know if it differs from other states). Is the process long and tedious? How long did the process change to get your new sscard and DL. Was it hard changing your name on all your accounts?

30 Comments

• TheOGJesse's Girl
    Master March 2014
    TheOGJesse's Girl ·
    • Flag

I waited until after I was married last time, but I got it all done in a couple of days. It all depends on how busy the SS office and DMV office is. Changing my name on my accounts wasn't too hard, it was just a nuisance of calling all the places. Most of the time if you have your driver's license changed and your marriage license it's not a problem at all. I went through it all again when I got a divorce and went back to my maiden name.

• Angel
    Super March 2014
    Angel ·
    • Flag

Date Twin!!

• TheOGJesse's Girl
    Master March 2014
    TheOGJesse's Girl ·
    • Flag

OMG!!!! I finally have a date twin!!!!!!!

• Rachel S.
    Master September 2013
    Rachel S. ·
    • Flag

I think you have to wait until after (I could be wrong..) but at least in Maryland you need a certified copy of your marriage license (it's not certified until after the ceremony and it's signed by the officiant/sent back to the court/they certify it). I went to Social Security last Friday morning and was in and out within 20 minutes.

I haven't changed anything else yet because you need to wait 48 hours to go to the MVA (I'm going there tomorrow) , and can't change anything else really until your license is changed.

• FutureMrsZottola
    Master July 2015
    FutureMrsZottola ·
    • Flag

Is there somewhere that you can go/ referecne from to see what all needs done/ where to go to change your last name with everything ..... sort of like a post marriage checklist? lol

• Lisa
    VIP September 2014
    Lisa ·
    • Flag

David's Bridal has a "Miss to Mrs." package that leads you through everything you need to do. It's $29 and my mom got it for me...I'm all for ease!

• Kate
    Master December 2013
    Kate ·
    • Flag

I don't think you can really change it before you wedding without a court injunction. changing your name isn't really that hard though

• Angel
    Super March 2014
    Angel ·
    • Flag

@Ashely, when you find it please let me know!!! lol.

• Angel
    Super March 2014
    Angel ·
    • Flag

I will have to check that out @Lisa

• Samantha
    Master May 2013
    Samantha ·
    • Flag

In VA the easiest way is after you're married. If you want to do it before, you have to fill out a lot of paperwork and have a court date. After you're married, all you have to do is go to the DMV and social security office and show them your marriage license. And no, it's not hard. Anyone can do it.

• Lindy13
    Super October 2013
    Lindy13 ·
    • Flag

It's not hard, just time consuming. Start with SSA, then MVA. Depending on who it is some requested I fax them a copy of my new DL, some asked for Marriage Cert. some didn't ask for anything so it really depends.

I would say make a list over the next month or so of all the things you pay, log in to, visit etc. Sometimes using your credit report is a good idea to make sure you get to everything (that's what I did).

I used this checklist (http://www.bridekit.com/checklist.htm) to capture everything.

• Lindy13
    Super October 2013
    Lindy13 ·
    • Flag
  • Ashleigh
    Master November 2013
    Ashleigh ·
    • Flag

I'm not super excited about it! Definitely not one of those girls that change it that very day on FB! He keeps calling my Mrs. ______ and I tell him, "not yet!" I have some time off around Christmas, I suppose I will do it then...can you tell my enthusiasm...

• HopeRebecca
    VIP October 2013
    HopeRebecca ·
    • Flag

Its been a pain - but I couldn't do anything until I got my marriage certificate back, then its time consuming to send a copy to alll credit card companies, mortgage company, car loan, etc. Easiest was utility companies and my store cards

• rusticbride
    Master May 2014
    rusticbride ·
    • Flag

I'm waiting until after the wedding is over and we are back/re-settled into our normal lives before I do the SSA, DMV, etc.

• Angel
    Super March 2014
    Angel ·
    • Flag

I know this may be a silly question, but do you have to wait to sign your name Mrs._______, until you get your new sscard and DL back?

• Lacey
    Master May 2014
    Lacey ·
    • Flag

I'm holding off until we get married to refer to myself with his last name. I like mine so much more!

• Jess08
    Super July 2013
    Jess08 ·
    • Flag

It's a pain to get the name changed before marriage. It requires going to court in my state. To get a name change after getting married is REALLY easy. I got my certificate in the mail a week after the wedding so when we came back the HM I had it. I went to the SS office first. It was just a 30 min process from waiting to walking out. Then took the paper they gave me to the DMV, and I got a new license. Anything else I changed was pretty easy, but I'm in a different state. I wouldn't think it'd be that much different. The only one that gave me issues was work. I work in a complicated environment that focuses a lot on security. So, everyone's a pain in the butt.

• Jillian
    Super September 2014
    Jillian ·
    • Flag

I'm not excited for my initials to be JAJ...kinda sounds like VAG.

• Crystal A.
    Super October 2013
    Crystal A. ·
    • Flag

How long does it usually take to get the marriage certificate back ive been waiting on ours and nothing yet

Comment on this discussion