M
Master March 2011

Ceremony altar area decor

Mrs. Boat, on December 26, 2010 at 2:59 PM Posted in Style and Décor

Hello girls! I hope everyone has had a wonderful holiday

I have been looking for affordable, non-floral ways to decorate the front of the ceremony space. We're getting married on a boat, so what we had thought about was to leave it as is and have the scenery be our backdrop. Well, I have always had the picture of standing under something when getting married, or having something framing us, you know?

Florals are out of the question, too expensive.

What would you suggest for something to decorate with, non-floral, that doesn't look tacky or that belongs to a childrens' birthday party?

This is the ceremony area. The couches will be gone, and gold chivari chairs will be linned up on either side and making an aisle in the middle (duh lol).

Thanks y'all!

Share:

25 Comments

• >>>Insert Ty's New Gangsta Name Here<<<
    Master March 2012
    >>>Insert Ty's New Gangsta Name Here<<< ·

How about an arch decorated in fabric and crystals?

• Samuel Graham
    May 2019
    Samuel Graham ·

Look for two stone looking pillers that would appear to reach the cieling and drape with fabric of natural colors, food for thought!

• 2d Bride
    Master October 2009
    2d Bride ·

This is what we used for ours. We made it on the frame of a portable popup gazebo, so that it would not take a lot of time to put up and take down.

• JacobBride2B
    Super April 2012
    JacobBride2B ·

I found this...

• Lizabeth
    Savvy August 2011
    Lizabeth ·

If you are going non-floral, I would suggest something like what was posted by JacobBride2B. The drapery of the fabrics is very appealing. If you could find a way to secure the posts, you could consider just having a "frame" around the two of you rather than the 'chuppah' structure. that is exactly what my florist is doing for me! if you go floral, you should check her out: www.partylandflowers.com. Best of luck!

• M
    Master March 2011
    Mrs. Boat ·

Thanks y'all

I have been looking at arches, but all I find are the wire ones that are pre-lit and look quasi prom. I like JacobBride2B's idea, but I doubt we'll have enough room for a full oh chuppa deal.

Maybe working on a "frame" like Lizabeth suggested would be ok... but how would I stand it up?

• Hayley C™
    Master March 2008
    Hayley C™ ·

The Woodland Arch - Use pre-lit one are but add more texture by implementing branches and grapevines (soak a grapevine wreath from your local craft store in water for a little while to make it easier to work with and bend/unravel).

Or take the pre-lit one and drape it like the other pictures. The wire ones that you are looking at can be the frame to stand up.

• M
    Master March 2011
    Mrs. Boat ·

Thanks Hayley My mom and I were thinking of ideas, and I think I may go to Hobby Lobby and check out the "swags" they have that I could add to the top of a pre-lit arch, and price some flowy fabric too.

I'm making these balls to line the pews with, so I had thought of something branchy/grapeviney to go along with it They will not have that grass inside, nor the butterfly. I'm adding small ivory flowers, and the bow is navy blue

• Jennifer
    VIP March 2011
    Jennifer ·

I have been to a wedding that a bride opted to put nothing... and it was very nice... thats actually the route we are taking... decorating the aisle and leaving the front very simple.

• M
    Master March 2011
    Mrs. Boat ·

I had thought of something like this too... in a smaller, not so deep scale.

• Hayley C™
    Master March 2008
    Hayley C™ ·

Very neat looking... what is on the top?

• M
    Master March 2011
    Mrs. Boat ·

This specific one has some weird looking flowers and some hydrangeas. I would use a different combo of flowers (silks), not as many, and use the prelit arch as base for it, and drape flowy fabric around.

Yey? Nay?

• Hayley C™
    Master March 2008
    Hayley C™ ·

I like what you wrote above, try to find a grapevine swag at the craft stores and then drape fabric. They will match your pom poms that you plan on using on the chairs. (which I love) I think dangling crystals, swag, fabric and lights might be one too many things.

• M
    Master March 2011
    Mrs. Boat ·

Yeah, I think so too.

Although, if I get an arch ths t's not lit, then do the hanging crystals...?

I have been saying pre-lit because that's all I can find on ebay LOL

• Hayley C™
    Master March 2008
    Hayley C™ ·

You don't need to plug it in if you like the crystal look *wink* I like the crystals.

• Mary Carlson
    May 2019
    Mary Carlson ·

Try going to a rental place to see what they have. You could probably get something nicer than those rickety, cheap looking pre-lit arches. By the way, they don't have a stand on the bottom. They are meant to be pushed into grass, so they are not stable sitting on the floor. The square arches look easy, but they can also be very unstable unless you build a base for them. And, fabric can be expensive. What will you do with it after the wedding? I would rent an arch from Taylor Rental, or some place like that. Your florist may have one they would rent to you as well. I would stay simple. If you're using the twig balls, which are kind of rustic, I wouldn't do a lot of blingy crystals with that. Use a nice grapevine arch. You don't want people looking at your arch, you want people looking at you! Good Luck!

• Konichiwa
    Master January 2010
    Konichiwa ·

If there is a way you can hang stuff from the ceiling of the boat you could make fabric poms that coordinate with your color scheme. I made a few and hung them from the overhang at my wedding. Here is a pic of the poms. I'll see if I can find a pic that isn't too big to download of what they looked like hanging...

• Konichiwa
    Master January 2010
    Konichiwa ·

This is the best pic I could get to download. Whenever I try to get my professional pics to attach on WW I get the "too big" error! So this is one that a friend took while the photog was taking our formal pics. You can kinda see the poms hanging in the backround

• M
    Master March 2011
    Mrs. Boat ·

@Mary: Thanks for your input! Mine is a destination wedding, so I won't be there to see what rental places have until 2 days before the wedding. We're not using a florist either, since our venue includes centerpieces in the package, but we're doing our own bouquets. I'll see if the venue can give me rental places they use that can possibly have what we need

@Konichiwa: Those look nice! I had though of doing the same kind of balls that I'm making for the pews and hanging them. When I had suggested hanging things to the venue coordinator, months ago, she kinda gave me an iffy look. The ceiling has those aluminum tiles, and I don't think it's the most stable of ceilings to hang stuff from. Maybe we can use some of those Command sticky things... hmmm....

• Victoria C. Hernandez
    Master July 2011
    Victoria C. Hernandez ·

@Konichiwa ..Love the fabric poms. Did you use a tutorial to make them?

Comment on this discussion