SoontobeStuddard
Expert April 2016

Centerpiece woes..

SoontobeStuddard, on October 29, 2015 at 3:44 PM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 31
Saved Save

I am struggling with inexpensive centerpieces. I originally planned the tree slice/lantern/votive/moss route, but I'm rethinking it due to the price of the supplies. Our budget changed quite a bit due to some family issues.

After a lot of google searching and late night Pinterest binges, I thought that I would go with coffee filter flowers...

They're NOT coming out the way that I imagined. So, I'm back at square one.

I know that the Dollar Tree is my friend. I'm not a fan of submerged flowers in vases.

Any other ideas? I'm at a loss!

31 Comments

• FutureMrsForte
    Devoted February 2016
    FutureMrsForte ·
    • Flag

I bought pots from the dollar tree and am using potted flowers! (well herbs and dwarf citrus trees!) we are spending about $350 total on our centerpieces for about 20 tables! ive been getting candles from michaels when the coupons allow! i had a friend who used paint sticks to create wooden boxes and then put succulence in the boxes and i know she did not spend that much on them but i couldnt give you a realistic amount!

• Kimi
    Master August 2016
    Kimi ·
    • Flag

I had to ditch my original idea for centerpieces due to cost of supplies, as well. We have decided on votives on a mirrored tile (provided by venue. - we're just adding extra votives) & simple bouquets in vases. Someone else on the forums pointed me towards www.quickcandles.com. Their prices are awesome.

• SoontobeStuddard
    Expert April 2016
    SoontobeStuddard ·
    • Flag

I love succulents! We're going for a romantic garden party with a rustic edge to it (is that a thing? LOL). The freaking tree slices are EXPENSIVE! I wish I knew someone with a chain saw.

Thanks @Kimi! I will check that website out Smiley smile

• K
    Super August 2016
    Kobieta ·
    • Flag

Home Depot and the like often have gorgeous potted plants which are priced really reasonably. We're getting orchids from them. White pot, candles...done! And they make a nice thank you gift for people who help set up/tear down/etc after the reception.

• M
    Super May 2016
    Mrs. W ·
    • Flag

I bought a ton of vases from dollar tree am doing clusters of floating candles on the tables. I don't think I am going to submerge a flower in the vases. The other centerpieces I'm doing are hygrengeas from my florists

• VWCat
    Master October 2015
    VWCat ·
    • Flag

You can get lanterns really cheaply from Ikea (around $5 for a nice black lantern) and they also have some really well priced non-scented pillar candles. Instead of doing flowers, you could do some petals around the lantern? Tree slices can be DIY'd. Cut down a tree (if you have land or a friend has land you can get this for free), slice, then lacquer. Also, nix-ing the moss would cut down costs and it's sort of expensive.

Check out ikea! They have some great stuff for really good prices.

• KGroenwold
    Super October 2015
    KGroenwold ·
    • Flag

Darn, I wish you didn't live so far away. I have 200 succulents that I need to sell!

• SoontobeStuddard
    Expert April 2016
    SoontobeStuddard ·
    • Flag

I love the white Ikea lanterns, they're only $7.99.

So, I could still go with the lantern route, but not pair the moss and tree slice with it to save money, especially since the tree slices are the most expensive element!

• SoontobeStuddard
    Expert April 2016
    SoontobeStuddard ·
    • Flag

@KGroenwold ohhh no! I would love to take them off of your hands!

• SoontobeStuddard
    Expert April 2016
    SoontobeStuddard ·
    • Flag

I am @LMac! I will do a search there and hope there is someone local. I found some online at the cheapest for $8 each, but shipping killed me!

• Sara
    Expert December 2015
    Sara ·
    • Flag

If you are looking for wooden slices, could you put out an ad on craigslist or thumbtack to try and get them for cheap? There might be someone with a chainsaw who is willing to make them for you, and then you can sand and seal them. I am having a friend who woodworks as a hobby do something similar for my wedding.

I have also seen them at craft stores. You have enough time that you could buy 1 per week with the 40% off coupons!

• SoontobeStuddard
    Expert April 2016
    SoontobeStuddard ·
    • Flag

I really loved these, but mine are totally not turning out like hers.

http://alicew.typepad.com/thoughts_from_alice_w/2010/02/somerset-life.html

• Ally
    Master October 2016
    Ally ·
    • Flag

You can most likely do this with dollar tree vases, candle holders AND candles. In dim light flower heads won't matter (so you can use dollar or on sale cheap silk flowers). You can order bulk votive glasses for cheap online, and then spray paint the outside with your colors.

• AG2005
    VIP April 2016
    AG2005 ·
    • Flag

We have gotten a ton of pallets from different places and are making boxes out of them and putting potted plants in them with candles around. At the end of the night 20 guests can each have one.

• Celia Milton
    February 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Rogo, if you're even a person, what don't you get about not spamming the board?

• Celia Milton
    February 2020
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

How about ditching the big wedding cake and doing a little cake for each table on a pretty stand? I had a couple of couples do this and it was so cute!

• C
    Expert May 2016
    cakewalk82 ·
    • Flag

Keep eyeing your local craigslist. I see those all the time! Also, you can diy your lanterns. I did mine with $store frames and painted them.

• Susan
    Master March 2015
    Susan ·
    • Flag

I used simple bulk votives from yummicandles.com and tied lace and ribbon around them with those little fake rings from Hobby Lobby. The venue had the mirrors and hurricanes. I sprinkled some bulk fake petals around the table. All the lace, ribbon and petals came from ebay.

• Devin94
    VIP September 2016
    Devin94 ·
    • Flag

@cakewalk - please tell how you made those lanterns! They look awesome

• C
    Expert May 2016
    cakewalk82 ·
    • Flag

Thanks @ mrs.Brinkley! I wiped out the dollar store of their black frames. Removed the mirrors. Painted both sides. Two coats on the front. Then cut up some 2x5 wood. Routed it. Then used heavy duty wood glue to assemble the frames. (That was the trickier part, a spare set of hands to hold them would have been helpful). The pic with the candles I just used a cheap picture from the dollar store and painted it. I thought it looked fine as the base but then decided I wanted to learn how to use a router. Good luck!

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics