We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Jamie C
Savvy August 2016

Cayman Islands advice!

Jamie C, on July 9, 2015 at 12:51 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 7
Saved Save

We were looking into going to the Cayman Islands for our honeymoon. We looked at resorts and really liked the looks of the West in or the Mariott. Has anyone ever been to the Cayman Islands to give us advice like where to stay, activities etc? Thank you!!

7 Comments

• Nicola
    VIP August 2015
    Nicola ·
    • Flag

Um - well, I live in the Cayman Islands so I might be able to help!

It really depends on what you like to do. Do you scuba dive? Because if you dive your time is sorted - we are top five in the world for diving. There are so many amazing dive sites.

I do recommend if you are staying in Grand Cayman, to look at taking a couple of days to come over to Little Cayman. It's a 35 minute flight away, but it's a tiny 10 mile long, by a mile wide island with 150 people living on it. It's a properly quiet little island paradise. You wouldn't necessarily want to stay here longer than over night - but it's totally worth it. Like heading to one of our beaches where you will be the ONLY person there.

I've stayed at both the Mariott and the Westin at various times, and they are both very nice hotels. We really liked the Westin though - their beach is a bit bigger and they have a lovely pool with a swim up bar.

Come at me with some questions and I'll help as best I can!

• Tara
    Super June 2016
    Tara ·
    • Flag

Swimming with the sting rays and the turtle farm are pretty fun!

• Reese
    Master July 2015
    Reese ·
    • Flag

I've been to Grand Cayman and stayed at a place called Treasure Island. Despite its cheesy name, it was pretty nice. My favorite part about it was that the beach area was kind of secluded and set apart from the long strip of hotel beach fronts. Maybe we were at the end of 10 mile beach? It was still in the middle of George Town and it was easy enough to get around in the van bus things.

As for things to do, I've heard Turtle Farm is fun. We went snorkeling at Sting Ray City (that's really what they call it. There's a place called Hell that I don't recommend. There is literally nothing there and it's a waste of a trip. We were only there about three days so we didn't do too much more than this. We were more about the beach!

• Jamie C
    Savvy August 2016
    Jamie C ·
    • Flag

Thank you all for the info!

Nicola- I am completely jealous you get to live there it looks beautiful! We aren't into scuba diving, I would maybe try it, but we love to snorkel so i'm sure there's really good places for that as well? As for the resorts does the westin let you snorkel/kayak/jet ski on their beaches?

Tara& Rebecca- swimming with sting rays looks really fun! something we would definitely be interested in!

• Nicola
    VIP August 2015
    Nicola ·
    • Flag

I think the Westin is affiliated with Red Sail sports which is one of the bigger watersports companies on the island - they offer pretty much everything from day boat trips, Discover Scuba Diving sessions, snorkeling trips and more. You can book everything right from the lobby.

• Jessica874
    Dedicated September 2016
    Jessica874 ·
    • Flag

If you like animals, i recommend the sea turtle farms! Its really amazing, you get to snorkel with them and everything! Also do a rum tasting, their rum is amazing especially mango!!!

• LadyMonk
    Master September 2014
    LadyMonk ·
    • Flag

I've never been, but (sorry I'm taking away from the original discussion), Nicola when you scuba dive or snorkel is there much for live coral? Or is the attraction mainly with the marine life? Next year we're planning to take our parents on a big vacation as a big thank you for all that they've done to us and I'm looking at the Cayman islands or maybe Andros Island (Bahamas).

Comment on this discussion

Related articles