Keri
Devoted June 2014

Carnival triumph or magic?

Keri, on March 11, 2014 at 6:34 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 13
Saved Save

Only cruises leaving from galveston in June (that I can find) is carnival (a few RCCL, but out of our price). Triumph leaves on the 2nd, day after our wedding, it's 5 days. We can get the ocean suite on this one. Magic leaves on the 8th or 15th for a 7 day, but can only get an ocean view or maybe a balcony. I've taken te advice and looked at YouTube for the videos. They both look nice. FH wants the 7 day, thinks it will be more fun. But I like the idea of leaving right after the wedding, which is perfect with the 5 day. But I guess now it's down to which ship would be better suited for an adult/newlywed couple. I don't mind kids, obviously I have 2! But I also always get that "guilt" when I go somewhere without them and see other kids running around. I'm afraid it will cause me to have a not as fun time. So the less kids there, the better off I'll be with my mommy guilt.

13 Comments

• Keri
    Devoted June 2014
    Keri ·
    • Flag

Well all of the schools (in my area anyway, Baytown) don't get out of school till the 6th. I'm not sure what it is for the rest of the state. I just always wanted the "leave right after the wedding" thing.

• His #1 Lady
    VIP April 2015
    His #1 Lady ·
    • Flag

I will be taking my second cruise on the Magic in August. What are your top concerns/desires?

• Keri
    Devoted June 2014
    Keri ·
    • Flag

Mostly what there is to do on the ship, how nice the rooms are (I'm very picky about this), how formal is the dinners(I have all my prom dresses and drill team ball dresses that have been hanging in my moms closet for 6 years now) is every night formal?

• Keri
    Devoted June 2014
    Keri ·
    • Flag

Ummm, ok.....

• Future Mrs. Pichon
    Super September 2014
    Future Mrs. Pichon ·
    • Flag

Hi Keri! FH and I took a cruise on Carnival Triumph two summers ago. It was PACKED full of kids. We never made it into the pools because they were full of kids. FH said we will never go on a cruise during the summer again and if we do it will be an adult only cruise Smiley smile The ship itself was nice. It was our first cruise so we just picked a middle of the road room -price wise. We figured we would never spend time in the room so it wouldn't matter. In the end we decided we will definitely get an ocean view or preferably a balcony. We made friends with a couple that had a balcony and it was much nicer. We also would have been able to get some quiet time away from the kids and main decks. Dinner is not formal every night. You can choose to dress up if you'd like. There is usually at least one designated "formal" night and FH and I didn't go all out for that. Some did (tuxes, ballgowns, etc). It's a great night to have your photo taken if you do dress up Smiley smile

edit: we went on a 5 day cruise and it did go by pretty fast

• Kimberly Jacoby
    April 2020
    Kimberly Jacoby ·
    • Flag

I say go for the 7 day. It will give you time, as you are going to be completely exhausted after your wedding and going to need a day to just recoup from the stress of it all.

• His #1 Lady
    VIP April 2015
    His #1 Lady ·
    • Flag

Soorry I didn't get a chance to get back to you yesterday. I was so geeked up when I saw this post because I love to cruise! The Triumph 5 day route take you to Progreso and Cozumel, while the 7 day route you can do either the Jamaica/Grand Cayman/Cozumel or Honduras/Belize/Cozumel route. I've done both of the 7 day routes. I enjoyed myself on both. The Triumph got a major overhaul after last year's incidents, so they went ahead and gave them the Carnival 2.0 upgrade which included Guy's Burgers, Blue Iguana Cantina, EA Sports Bar, etc. Carnival Magic is a larger ship and it has the two waterslides, ropes course, Red Frog Pub, and other great stuff. The 7 day itinerary will give you two cruise elgant nights, while the 5 day sailing you only have one if you're wanting to get fancy. I've heard great things about the steakhouse if you're wanting a nice romantic dinner for two.

Either itinerary there will be lots of kids because of the time of year you're going. There are always kids onboard no matter when you go, but moreso during school breaks.

As far as rooms I've done an interior, oceanview, and balcony before. I haven't tried the suite yet. We booked another balcony for August, because we're thinking of saving the "suite experience" for our honeymoon. If the room doesn't matter then the interior is the cheapest option. I really like the balcony because you can sit out in the sun without being surrounded by other people if you want some alone time. It's totally worth the price in my opinion.

I'll post pictures later when I get home

• Mrs Wilson
    VIP May 2014
    Mrs Wilson ·
    • Flag

I would go on the 7-day, we're going on a 8-day Carnival cruise for our HM on Sunshine

• TheOGJesse's Girl
    Master March 2014
    TheOGJesse's Girl ·
    • Flag

I was on the Triumph 3 summers ago. OMG it was a shit-show. Don't do a Carnival cruise girl!!!!!

• OMW
    Master August 2013
    OMW ·
    • Flag

The Magic is huge! We were in Galveston this weekend, staying at the Tremont, and when we turned to go onto the Strand BOOM it was right there in front of our faces.

• DisneyNut
    Master October 2014
    DisneyNut ·
    • Flag

Magic all the way!!!! We loved ours last summer. We did RCCL in January and were sadly disappointed with the ship and from my experience RCCL is better than Carnival (and that was before all of their trouble).

• Keri
    Devoted June 2014
    Keri ·
    • Flag

Thank you everyone! I think we have decided on the 7 day on Magic! This will give us more time to pack and find arrangements for our kids! I wanted that feeling of "being whisked away" right after, but after thinking it over and talking to my mom I realized that wasn't very realistic in our case. Thanks again for all the input!

• meagannicole27
    Beginner June 2014
    meagannicole27 ·
    • Flag

I went on the Magic last summer! It's gorgeous.. There is a pool and 2 hot tubs in the very back of the ship that hardly anybody gets in, we spent a lot of time there! Onboard Italian restaurant is free at lunch and pretty good! The adults only deck (Serenity) is nice and quiet, but you have to get there early if you want somewhere to sit.. Outdoor movie theater was relaxing even though we never made it to a movie on time.. lol Overall great experience, we will definitely take a second one Smiley smile

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics