Alyssa
Master December 2019

Candy Bar advice?

Alyssa, on January 11, 2019 at 5:10 PM Posted in Planning 0 14
Saved Save
Ok
im doing a candy bar and am thinking of the actual logistics of setup, decor, and service

anyone on WW who is doing a candy bar or even better has done one?

1 are you going bowls? jars? special shaped/unique vases you’re collecting? Do they have lids or do you have a “cover”?

2 did you do loose candy, individually wrapped, or both? Why?

3 what are you including for “service”? Cups? Bowls? Dessert plates? Napkins only? Are you having like serving tongs and spoons?

4 how did you decorate/setup the table? Photos please if you’re married!!

5 did you have any sort of unforeseen issues or problems?

6 did you include bags for guests to take home candy? What kind?

thank you in advance everyone

14 Comments

• Jen
    Dedicated November 2018
    Jen ·

We planned to do one and ended up not doing it. I was planning to buy the vessels at Hobby Lobby (buying them one at a time with coupons). Or if you have any connections to a school that does candy bars for events/dances, you can ask to borrow theirs. I don't think you need lids unless it will be outdoors or if your candy is particularly fragile. Scoops and bags can be found on Amazon. I wouldn't have cups or bowls or anything, just some kind of bag or box that guests can take home. You can get fancy personalized ones if you prefer, and then it basically becomes your favors. Bulk candy can be found online, or you can try to get post-Halloween discounts. We planned to use the favorite candy of the bride, groom and each of our parents, so there would have been a mix of wrapped and unwrapped. Lots of cute creative details are on Pinterest. Just make sure that you know who will set it up (our venue would not have done it) and decide if you want it to be open for the whole reception or just after dinner (signage and/or DJ announcement).

We didn't end up doing it for a few reasons. First, the cost really adds up. Bulk candy can be really expensive, and buying several different kinds was just too much. It also is a lot of stuff to move to the venue and set up. Plus, we got married just after Halloween, so we realized that all of our guests already had a lot of candy at home. Just wasn't worth the effort if we were going to end up with a lot of leftover candy. We had a late-night snack instead and our guests really liked that.

• Alyssa
    Master December 2019
    Alyssa ·
    I’m going to make a ton of different truffles because I do that for my Christmas gifts (not this year because wedding stuff) and got a lot of boos lol

im going to buy my individually wrapped candy starting 8 months out (checking expiration dates as we buy) and get a certain amount per month or bi weekly...

im not really concerned about cost

it would be setup through out because I would set it up and break it down so it would be ready before Ceremony

i already have cake and cupcakes (2flavors), and my favors are donuts and cookies so I really should skip it too but I think the truffles will get eaten mostly and everything else will be individually wrapped with good dates so I’m lazy... I’m thinking I’ll go plastic containers and just sweep the bar into a large box and deal with it after honeymoon
  • earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·

1 are you going bowls? jars? special shaped/unique vases you’re collecting? Do they have lids or do you have a “cover”?

I bought glass jars of various shapes and sizes from another bride. You can find these on Oriental Trading - they have both plastic and glass (glass being more expensive). Amazon has these too. Search "candy bar/buffet jars"

2 did you do loose candy, individually wrapped, or both? Why?
    I did both based on the type of candy. M&Ms and red vines were loose; mints, candy canes, Lindt chocolates, Hershey kisses, lollipops and taffy were wrapped - it just depended on the candy

3 what are you including for “service”? Cups? Bowls? Dessert plates? Napkins only? Are you having like serving tongs and spoons?
    For the loose candy we had little scoops - got these on Oriental Trading too

4 how did you decorate/setup the table? Photos please if you’re married!!
    I had my florist put little tabletop Christmas trees on the table as well as a lantern carried by one of my flower girls and my bouquet in a vase. The venue provided little wooden crates to help create depth and dimension - this is advisable instead of having all the jars the same height on the table. My candy bar was on the same table where I had my hot chocolate/cider bar too.

5 did you have any sort of unforeseen issues or problems?
    None whatsoever

6 did you include bags for guests to take home candy? What kind?

Yes, I found the cutest bags on Etsy. Etsy has all kinds of candy bar bags at various price points and different materials. Mine were an actual fabric, I think linen.

Candy Bar advice? 1

Candy Bar advice? 2

Candy Bar advice? 3

Candy Bar advice? 4

Candy Bar advice? 5

• Kyle-Lynn
    Expert February 2019
    Kyle-Lynn ·
    I don't have pics but I did a very elaborate candy bar with apothocary jars from tj maxx, homegoods etc. I got little favor bags and put seals on them from.oriental trading. I did all kinds of candy in the wedding colors back then, oriental trading has tons of stuff. Hobby lobby has little paper bags, scoops. You could use any kind of container. Ask friends and family to borrow large glass jars/vases. I used styrofoam cones to do lollipop trees. Find on pinterest!
  • Mrs. Dujmovic
    Devoted July 2019
    Mrs. Dujmovic ·

My cousin had the BEST candy bar I've ever seen!! Like straight out of pinterest!

She did all types of glass vases. plates, and bowls in different shapes and sizes that had lids with a little serving shovel for the candy that wasn't wrapped and no lids or serving shovel for the wrapped candy.

There are tons and tons of cute bags on Etsy!!

• M
    Super November 2019
    Melissa ·
    They only thing I suggest is to not put candles or heat near chocolate, if you're having chocolate, so it wont melt.
  • Alyssa
    Master December 2019
    Alyssa ·
    View Quoted Comment

That looks AWESOME!! I'm setting up mine at my venues upstairs bar so I'll have to see if there's enough plug receptacles upstairs on that side to put my kuerig bar upstairs with the candy

• Alyssa
    Master December 2019
    Alyssa ·
    View Quoted Comment

Great tips!

My venue has a ton of vases so if I go glass I will just use theirs but I'm considering plastic for a fast lazy clean up

• Alyssa
    Master December 2019
    Alyssa ·
    View Quoted Comment

I definitely want to include to go packaging but haven't decided what yet... I'm sure as soon as I look on Betsy there will be 100 I want lol

Or I may do my own printing on paper bags...

I think that plastic keeps things fresher though

• Alyssa
    Master December 2019
    Alyssa ·
    View Quoted Comment

I only have tea lights but thank you for the great tip. I'm thinking tea lights on ends of table and truffles in center... Maybe getting some cake stands with tiers because I think I want one for my favors tables and probably for the candy bar also

• Shay
    Expert February 2020
    Shay ·
    Yep we’re having a sweets buffet,I plan to do different size glass vases,bowls and candle holders along with the little scoopers you know mix it up a bit, the flavorable sweets will be in our wedding colors along with the take away bags. ~ Happy Planning 🍷
  • earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! I forgot to add that my venue coordinator set it up before the reception began and my DOC packed it up at the end of the night.
  • Melissa
    Dedicated May 2018
    Melissa ·
    We did a candy bar for my bridal shower

Candy Bar advice? 6
  • Kyle-Lynn
    Expert February 2019
    Kyle-Lynn ·

You could get all kinds of diff plastic at dollar tree! easy, cheap, cute! :-)

Comment on this discussion