P
Savvy May 2014

Cake- Supermarket...

Private User, on November 1, 2013 at 7:19 AM Posted in Planning 0 20
Saved Save

Has anyone purchased there wedding cake from a supermarket or a walmart bakery... Looking for a 3 tiered cake that looks great taste great and a great price of coarse!

20 Comments

• LB
    Master May 2014
    LB ·
    • Flag

If mine was not included in the venue, that is precisely what I would be doing. I've ordered cakes from supermarkets before and gotten compliments. Granted, never a wedding cake...but many here on the forum do it. Go for it!

• BayBride
    Devoted May 2019
    BayBride ·
    • Flag

Considered it. Looked through the book only to be horrified by the 80s. The price wasn't that much cheaper either.

• Celia Milton
    December 2019
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

Looks great, tastes great, cheap. Probably not all in one place. I think it just depends on how much it matters to you......it might not; it's strictly up to you.

It'll be the last impression of your wedding; if it was my choice, I wouldn't do it. Most of them taste pretty ordinary and the look is, well, like a supermarket cake.

• FutureMrsSaunders
    Dedicated December 2013
    FutureMrsSaunders ·
    • Flag

We are using a local baker that is charging the same as our local supermarket. But we are paying $75 for a cake designer to be the one that comes and sets it up. The supermarket we had to pick it up or they would send a "delivery boy" for a small fee.

I suggest you talk to local bakeries. They can usually make what you want in a budget friendly way!

• Mrs. Shanon V
    Master May 2014
    Mrs. Shanon V ·
    • Flag

We've got a rather upscale market near my venue that we'll be getting our cake from. They did the cake for my mom's second wedding and I've never had better (and I'm a girl who goes for cake...). We'll just get a simple three tier in buttercream and my mom's friend who dabbles as a cake decorator will add ribbon and fresh flowers.

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

I'm getting a 6 inch round cake and cupcakes from Wal-Mart. I've used Wal-Mart bakery before and had nothing but compliments. The only problem is they do not deliver and you cannot change the design of the round cake. As for the cupcakes I'm getting 40 vanilla and 40 chocolate and cannot wait to dig into them.

• CaitlinWife
    VIP November 2013
    CaitlinWife ·
    • Flag

We got ours at Harps. They were very professional, we had a cake testing with them, and were wonderful. I told Caleb -WARNING: This is just my opinion, please do not take it as fact!!- that I'd rather have a supermarket cake not because of price, but because their cake HAS to taste good. Wedding cake places are more reliant on whether or not their cake LOOKS good. The cake we chose looked beautiful, and I expect it will be just as lovely on the day of.

Edit: Our 3 tier cake that serves just over 75 people was less than 350 WITH tax and delivery.

• L
    Master February 2015
    LetItSnow ·
    • Flag

My best friend bought her's from Safeway last year and it was AWESOME! It was fresh, delicious and looked great. It was $210 for a 170 person wedding. She did have to send someone to pick it up though since they don't deliver.

For an extra $40 she could get 'cake insurance' where if something happened to your cake, they have a similar one prepared that you could use as a replacement. She opted out though.

• Tamika
    Devoted June 2014
    Tamika ·
    • Flag

I did a tasting with Publix. They have all types of designs. FH thought the cake was to sweet and we opted for a local bakery. WholeFoods just opened in our city and they have signs for wedding cakes.

• Barbara
    Master September 2014
    Barbara ·
    • Flag

I think it really depends on the supermarket/bakery. Do a tasting-- if their fondant doesn't taste good, then ask if they can do a small display cake (for the cutting), and then a sheet cake (with buttercream) for serving.

• Abby
    VIP November 2013
    Abby ·
    • Flag

We tasted and consulted at Publix and the cake was just ok. We went there first thinking it would be cheaper, but we ended up using a local baker because her cakes looked professional, tasted great, and she was cheaper than Publix!

• A2Ndhi
    Expert September 2019
    A2Ndhi ·
    • Flag

We was going to use publixs, but had our cake tasting wirh hevan scent, and fell in LOVE with their cakes, and for a small cake to cut and 100 cupcakes, it was less then 200, set up and all. Plus I'm injoying going every week tasting two new cup cakes trying to decide on the cupcakes. So far I'm going with red velvet, strawberry shortcake, and Boston cream.

• Anisea
    Master July 2014
    Anisea ·
    • Flag

OK, I am a cake decorator at a grocery store, here's the deal: It is cheaper. Make sure you get to talk to the decorator who will do your cake that day, ask what they can do in terms of detail. Have them ice the cake smooth, dont expect anything fancy from them, because its a grocery store youre not going to get a fancy detailing, unless you happen to get lucky with a really good decorator. So- order the three tiers separately, smooth iced, buy your own sugar flowers online, and put them on the cake at your venue. Whatever you do, dont transport a three layer cake, it can be done with careful monitoring (someone is holding the box the whole drive) or keep the layers separate and stack them at the venue. use a wet fingertip to smooth any nudges that may have happened in transport. Decopac and Bakery craft make great sugar flowers, but im not sure if they sell to individuals. but you can always decorate a cake with real flowers, or tiny figurines, or tiny photos

• Leslie I.
    Dedicated April 2014
    Leslie I. ·
    • Flag

I am considering it.

• Tee76
    Super July 2013
    Tee76 ·
    • Flag

I got mine from a local grocery store.. $125

• JustMarried'14
    Master September 2014
    JustMarried'14 ·
    • Flag

I am lucky enough to know someone who is doing my cakes for a great deal! If she were not, I would definitely go to a local grocer for a display cake and sheet cake to serve. I am not huge fan of cake, neither is FH, so we are not spending very much on it. I have been to over 25 weddings and can only remember ever even eating the cake like 2 times (when I was a kid).

I would rather spend money on actual food and drinks for my guests. I think if you take

Anisea's advice, it should be fine! Good luck :-)

• Alisha
    Just Said Yes May 2014
    Alisha ·
    • Flag

We're guilty of loving walmart sheet cake. We're getting a couple sheet cakes to hide in the kitchen, and decorating a dummy cake for people to see... saves tons of money Smiley smile

• Theresa Beale
    Master November 2014
    Theresa Beale ·
    • Flag

Our cake is included in our wedding package. If not we were going to go with cupcakes. One word of warning, a lot of venues charge to cut and serve a cake so you will want to double check with your venue and add the cost to the cake budget if you decide to go with a supermarket cake (plus a bakery will usually deliver the cake, a supermarket won't so you will have to decide who will be responsible for picking up the cake)

• Brittany
    Devoted June 2015
    Brittany ·
    • Flag

I am going to be getting mine at Albertsons,, they quoted me 175, and they also run a 25% off all summer on pre paid cakes. I go to them for all my cakes and they do such a great job. Now all I have to do is bring gluten free cupcakes for my son and nephew.. And I also same $1 per person at the venue, because we aren't using their dessert options..

Comment on this discussion