We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

OurAdventureBegins
VIP October 2016

Bridezilla....Please! UPDATE

OurAdventureBegins, on May 23, 2016 at 10:21 AM Posted in Planning 0 23
Saved Save

About a week ago my FH and I found out that our venue was no longer an option after 5 mos. of planning (private property offered by FH's place of work, CEO changed his mind on the offer.) After some panicking and rapid fire emails to venues in the Tahoe area, we toured one of the two venues left for our date and booked it! I'm so excited to have a venue that is autonomous from his work. I think we will both be able to relax and enjoy ourselves WAY more. Although there was a pretty solid cost difference (6K) we were planning on doing much more DIY, set up, and clean up with our original plan. This venue is all inclusive and will be so much easier and less stressful for everyone! I feel a huge wave of relief. Although loosing our original venue 4.5 months from the wedding seemed like the end of the world, I think this is going to work out much better! This place is so beautiful Smiley smile

Does anyone else have "catastrophes" that turned out for the better in the end?

23 Comments

• Mrs. Sasswood
    Master October 2016
    Mrs. Sasswood ·
    • Flag

The venue looks beautiful! Your story is a good example of why contracts are a must.

So far, no catastrophes. Less than 5 months out so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I hope you can relax and enjoy the last 4.5 months of planning!

• Bacon Curly Gurl
    VIP September 2016
    Bacon Curly Gurl ·
    • Flag

Yay! So glad it worked out for you OurAdventureBegins and you were able to find a venue. Yeah, the price difference sucks but it looks beautiful and I'm sure you'll be happy with it being all inclusive. Now you can get back to planning =D

• mimitrue
    Master January 2016
    mimitrue ·
    • Flag

Yours sounds like mine! Our 1st venue fell through because they decided they couldn't fit our guest list after all. So we had to find a new venue but so glad we did because it was amazing! We did have to change our date but that didn't bother us because the new venue was a dream! It looks like your tented pavilion picture too! And it was all inclusive as well. Sometimes when things seem to be falling apart they are really falling into place. Congrats! The new venue is beautiful!

• Kelly
    Expert June 2016
    Kelly ·
    • Flag

That is absolutely gorgeous!

• MrsBBR
    Super January 2017
    MrsBBR ·
    • Flag

Glad you guys found something!! The boss is a major butt head for pulling the original out from under you, but it sounds like you'll be much happier anyway =D

• dsta0125
    Expert September 2016
    dsta0125 ·
    • Flag

Your venue looks absolutely beautiful! I fortunately have not had any catastrophes like this, but it definitely shows the need for contracts. I hope you got a contract at your new venue!

• Ayesha
    Super October 2016
    Ayesha ·
    • Flag

I am so happy this worked out well for you! Now you can breath and carry on with your happy plans.

• UnderTheJuneWillows
    VIP June 2016
    UnderTheJuneWillows ·
    • Flag

Absolutely gorgeous. I see your wedding is in October though. Make sure to have a plan for rain, and quite possibly snow, for October in Tahoe. I'm sure their event manager can help with that plan! So glad it worked out!

• SoontobeMrsO
    Super May 2016
    SoontobeMrsO ·
    • Flag

The venue looks amazing. I think things worked out better in the end for you Smiley smile

• Rebecca
    VIP June 2016
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

I'm so glad you guys figured everything out!! I still can't believe your FH boss was such a dick to you guys.

Sounds like you will be able to relax and enjoy your day - so happy everything was able to be taken care of!

• Deb
    VIP January 2017
    Deb ·
    • Flag

I looks beautiful!

• OurAdventureBegins
    VIP October 2016
    OurAdventureBegins ·
    • Flag

Thanks everyone! I sent the contract back 4 times to be sure it was perfect before I signed it and they have really great indoor options just in case Smiley smile Total blessing in disguise!

• Laura
    Champion June 2010
    Laura ·
    • Flag

That place is beautiful! I'm so glad it worked out for you!

My catastrophe that turned out better in the end is that our photographer bailed on us 2 1/2 months before our June wedding. It was very stressful, but the photographer we ended up going with was great and was a much better fit for us than the first one anyway.

• Lolerskates84
    Super August 2016
    Lolerskates84 ·
    • Flag

I read your original post and felt terrible that you had to go through that. So happy this worked out for you!!!

• OurAdventureBegins
    VIP October 2016
    OurAdventureBegins ·
    • Flag

@WWLaura - That would be stressful too! I'm glad it worked out for the better. In planning, we have to think that things don't always go our way for a reason

• OriginalKD
    Master December 2015
    OriginalKD ·
    • Flag

Yup. The original venue we were going to use had an event director that left a month after she gave us the proposal. We tried for two weeks to get with the new event director (who ignored a bunch of calls) and finally we went in to drop off our check. She went back on the previous lady's agreement and told us that we "could not have all the space previously offered because the date of our wedding was the busiest night of the year for them and they would lose too much money."

So, we agreed to drop one room and gave the deposit. I then hired my planner who reviewed the contract. She called the new event director who basically had lied to us and pulled a lot of inclusions for the wedding package out (did not state the omissions in the contract). So, DH stalked the private club director and got our deposit back and we went with a different venue that was so much more affordable. I just learned that the first venue was super sneaky and if you brought in any outside vendor they would charge 25% surcharge just to allow them on site. Never disclosed.

This is why I am so encouraging of hiring a planner. People that do this for a living know the ins and outs of the different vendors and venues. They also know what is reasonable and should be included in various packages. If we had not hired her, we would have spent a fortune unnecessarily.

• The Trap Selena
    Master March 2016
    The Trap Selena ·
    • Flag

Oh I'm so happy your venue situation worked out for you! I was stressed out for you. The new venue is beautiful Smiley smile

• Kristy
    Master November 2015
    Kristy ·
    • Flag

Glad it worked out! That venue looks lovely!

• OurAdventureBegins
    VIP October 2016
    OurAdventureBegins ·
    • Flag

@OriginalKD That is terrible! I'm glad you found something way better!

• ShibaMommy
    Super October 2016
    ShibaMommy ·
    • Flag

So glad it worked out well for you! That must have been stressful!

We had a much smaller issue......with our florist (preferred by our venue). She was having difficulty achieving the look we wanted, but instead of admitting this, tried to tell us it was not possible, or that it was priced well out of our budget - yet wouldn't provide a pricing menu or even an estimate for what we were asking for.

We switched to another florist, who suffered a major injury and was unable to work our event, so we went back to the original after much convincing by our venue. Enter the retaliatory pricing, verbal insults, missed meetings (which I had to drive 2 hours for since our venue is not local) etc. etc. Ultimately our venue apologized for their outrageous behavior and let us know they are reconsidering their professional affiliation.

We decided to DIY our flowers, and are having so much fun practicing our arrangements. I think it is really going to be that extra layer of something special on our day to see arrangements we put together ourselves. (We have access to a large walk in for storage, and a team of family who have volunteered to help.)

Comment on this discussion

Related articles