You're on our mind during COVID-19. See our related wedding FAQs.

Vanessa
Expert May 2018

Bridesmaids Gifts Ideas

Vanessa, on March 31, 2018 at 8:03 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 31
Saved Save

Hi All! I need help finding nice and unique bridesmaids gifts. They have all been EXCELLENT.

I was going to get them robes and sandals, but I would love other ideas. What are you all getting your bridesmaids?

31 Comments

• B
    Just Said Yes September 2018
    Brittany ·
    • Flag
    I bought my bridesmaids a tote with their name on it to carry what they need the day of the wedding. Inside is a robe I bought them and the necklace for the wedding. All purchased off etsy.com. Highly recommend that site!
  • Nicole
    Expert September 2018
    Nicole ·
    • Flag

A general rule is that anything that will be seen in your wedding pictures shouldn't count as your gift, because in some sense it is bought to make your pictures better. This includes shoes, jewellery or getting ready outfits.

Shop as if you took each friend to the mall and let them pick something that they loved. The gifts don't have to be the same but should speak to each person's individual taste and interests. A nice thank you letter also makes a nice addition to their gift.

I'm cross-stitching each of my girls a sampler with a pattern that I picked out based on their interest (one baking themed and one camping) and having them framed to match their home decor.

• muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·
    • Flag

What are their tastes/interests/ hobbies? You know them, right?

Anything they need to wear or use on the day of the wedding is not a gift. It is a prop for your wedding pics. So that rules out robes, jewelry, hangers etc.

Take a few minutes to think of each one, and buy them one nice gift chosen especially for them. The gifts are much more thoughtful than buying the same thing for all the BM's. Do not fall victim to the idea of filling up a bag of junk from the dollar store, like lip gloss, bath bombs etc.

• L
    Expert May 2018
    LIZ ·
    • Flag
    I have just one gal and one guy we were buying for so I made them both photo blankets. Collage.com is an awesome sight. They do mugs- tote bags- many other ideas and run great specials. I even made the FH one!! I just went into each of their Facebook pages and took photos they have posted to use on each of their own blanket. They are truly one of a kind gifts.
  • Mrs.Todd
    Expert June 2018
    Mrs.Todd ·
    • Flag
    I’m going to say whatever you put in that basket is a gift I just don’t get how y’all can say a robe etc I paid for is not a gift would if we not taking pictures in them then what?!? If I bought it it’s definitely a gift! I’m in a wedding next week and we are supplying our own jewelry and we supplied our own dress and shoes, and with hair nails and make up I’m from down south!
  • GardenParty18
    Dedicated April 2018
    GardenParty18 ·
    • Flag
    I got my bridesmaids each a kate spade wallet that suits their individual personalities. I got them at the outlet so they were cheaper than normal.
  • L
    Super August 2018
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I got my girls overnight bags with their initials, water bottles with their names in their fave colors for the day of, portable battery operated fans (getting married in summer), hankies that say “no ugly crying,” and then a bottle of their fave type of wine. So it’s customized a little bit but sometimes easier to also order things within the same general sense. I will also write them an individual note. I ordered most of the things off of Etsy.

My junior bridesmaid (she’s on the older side) got all of the same things except wine, and I got her hanky as well with a poem for her, and my flower girl has a flower girl tumbler with her name on it, a little flower girl bag, a hanky personalized for her that she can use for her wedding day, and a little snack bag of all her favorite treats.

For my parents I got hankies that have a little poem on them with the date of my wedding,
  • L
    Super August 2018
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    Also as a side note, check about the robes. For example, my bridesmaids that have been in weddings before have never worn them since, and after speaking with my photographer about getting ready photos (I’m not super into the getting ready photos, and I’m getting hair and make up done at a salon and then going to venue to dress up, so my circumstances may be a little different), but my photographer would rather have all bridesmaids dressed when she gets there and just me in a robe or something as she’ll take a few shots of lipgloss and the dress, etc. At that point , she wants everything to be about me and make me stand out. So in other words, robes wouldn’t even need to be part of the day as that won’t be a shot. Another something to think about.
  • PrincessLawrence
    VIP June 2018
    PrincessLawrence ·
    • Flag

To ask them I made flip-flops and got them hair ties, makeup bags, pedi sets and a compact mirror. For the shower as thank you gifts I made the hangers. And for the wedding I am giving them earrings and a bracelet

• OnCloudRawls
    VIP June 2019
    OnCloudRawls ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'm with you on this!! Preach!!!

• Mrs.Todd
    Expert June 2018
    Mrs.Todd ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I just don’t understand that who came up with these rules tho?!🤷🏾‍♀️🤷🏾‍♀️
  • OnCloudRawls
    VIP June 2019
    OnCloudRawls ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yo! Your comment had me laughing! My fiancé and I just said the same exact thing!!! Like are these rules for real?!?!

• Mrs.Todd
    Expert June 2018
    Mrs.Todd ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I just don’t understand foreal! Who came up with most of these rules like if you want them to wear the same shoes you need to buy them 😳😳 says who cause in Memphis that’s not how things are done! If you in my wedding you are obligated to get what I tell you I’m try to work with everyone budget but no I’m not paying for dresses or shoes period!!
  • OnCloudRawls
    VIP June 2019
    OnCloudRawls ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Exactly! It's part of the role of being a bridesmaid or MOH!

• muriel
    Champion June 2018
    muriel ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It's not a rule. It's common sense. Gifts should always be something the receiver would love and appreciate, something chosen especially for them. What do you think brides bought as gifts for the bridal party before the "getting ready" pics became popular? Ask your Moms if they took "getting ready" pics and what the bride bought them as a thank you gift. It wasn't a robe, or a tank with "bridesmaid" on it.
    No one is saying that a BM will never appreciate a robe as a gift. What we are saying is if you chose it with your pics in mind (Plum Pretty Sugar or cheap Amazon version anyone?), you primary interest was your pics, not the women. There was a recent pic on this site of the BM's wearing their robes. I can guarantee that the plus size BM wearing the robe that didn't even close all the way, doesn't think that was a thoughtful gift- but the bride got her picture.
    The same applies to jewelry chosen to go with your wedding palette. Chances are they aren't going to keep the dress, much less wear the jewelry again.Again, no one is saying that a BM is never going to appreciate a gift of jewelry. If it's something classic and something you know suits their taste and aesthetic, it's fine. If you buy them all a Harry Potter themed necklace for your themed wedding, it's not a gift.

• Munchkin9218
    Master September 2018
    Munchkin9218 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    If it’s something that you’re providing because you want pictures in it then it’s really not a gift it for you. I would hate for my gift to be a robe that is really only for use the day of. I don’t wear a robe ever and would get zero use out of it and would only wear it out of obligation. So while it’s technically a gift because you bought it. It’s not really a thank you to your BMs and at the end of the day that’s what these gifts should be. A special way to thank your friends for being apart of the day.

You don’t thank someone by buying them s gift they have little to no use for just because you want pictures in that gift.
  • Mrs.Todd
    Expert June 2018
    Mrs.Todd ·
    • Flag
    First of all I’m not getting robes so stop using that as a example! And if I say your jewelry is a gift that’s exacly what it is a gift! Where are y’all from cause every wedding I’ve been in I’ve suppled my own hair, nails, shoes, and dress! I did state I will not do getting ready pics so everything I give will be a gift! I made my ladies some wine glasses and wine bath bomb and a bite from me but I just wanted to know who made these RULES??
  • Munchkin9218
    Master September 2018
    Munchkin9218 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It’s not a rule. And jewelry tends to be more
    of a gift bc it can and probably will be worn again. It’s just a basic understanding. People use robes as an example because that’s a common prop people try to pass off as a gift. Same with shoes. Those are things that are more for the aesthetic of the wedding then something your girls will use again. Jewelry I think is sort of a middle ground because it’s something that - if it’s not kitschy - can and will probably be used again.

again it’s not a written rule but it’s just kind of understood that if it’s more of a prop then it’s not really a gift because it’s not something that’s truly for your BM. It’s the principal of it more than anything.
  • Mrs.Todd
    Expert June 2018
    Mrs.Todd ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Okkkkkkkayyyy!!!
  • Robert's Wife
    Expert December 2018
    Robert's Wife ·
    • Flag
    Every woman loves a unique purse or handbag.. I just bought mine today.. Psyched about giving my ladies.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics