We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

mandygurl88
Dedicated September 2016

Bridesmaids Dress Shopping

mandygurl88, on November 19, 2015 at 10:09 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 16
Saved Save

Hello!

My bridesmaids and I are going shopping this weekend. 6 out of 7 are coming with the 7th being is 12 hours away, totally understandable she won't be there. I have appointments at David's Bridal and a local shop that carries Christina Wu, Andrew Adela, and Bill Levkoff. I also think we're going to Macy's and Penny's and there are outlets there too.

Because our ceremony will be at a church and it will be an early evening wedding, I would like the dresses to be long and a little more formal of a feel. But with 7 girls, I have girls that are size 2 to 18 and everywhere in between. Most of the girls are well endowed and I'd like to give them a chance to wear bras, especially for my sister who's a tomboy and never worn anything but a sports bra.

Also I may have one that's pregnant. I really would like to have one dress rather than several different ones or the same style skirt and material and color but convertible tops.

What have you found that works? Thanks!

16 Comments

• AG13
    VIP April 2016
    AG13 ·
    • Flag

At davids the have dresses in the same material but different styles but what I did was just got them to try everything on and pick what looked best on everyone. They are all different sizes and it worked out! One will have to get hers shortened but she would have to do that with any dress. PSA. My dresses wont be all these colors.... this was just samples lol.

• SummerS
    Master January 2016
    SummerS ·
    • Flag

I found this dress to be very flattering for different shapes/sizes, they can wear a regular bra with it AND I have a preggo one too...she'll be around 5 mos. at the wedding I believe. With the smallest part of the waist being a little high, there's plenty of fabric and room for a belly as long as they order an appropriate size for the waist. It's a Bill Levkoff...it's such a pretty dress on the girls and they were all thrilled with it. We did the same as you...appt. at DB then a smaller shop, Bella Bridesmaids, and the quality of the dresses was like night and day. We didn't like the fabric of any of the DB dresses at all, seams in strange places, etc. and they were still rather expensive for what they were I thought. Everyone felt more comfortable paying a bit more for a nicer quality dress.

• OG Kristen
    Master October 2015
    OG Kristen ·
    • Flag

My bridesmaids were all difference sizes and this dress was flattering on all of them. They all looked fantastic. It's from DB.

• AG13
    VIP April 2016
    AG13 ·
    • Flag

I feel like you cant go wrong with something with some sort of straps, chiffon, and a neckline that isn't super low.

• MrsMem<3
    Expert May 2016
    MrsMem<3 ·
    • Flag

I was in a wedding this past may and we got this dress from Davids Bridal and it looked great on everyone! we ranged from a 4 to a 18 as well!

• Christina
    Master October 2017
    Christina ·
    • Flag

**Yikes, sorry all! WW keeps eating my comment ... Smiley sad

Oooo MrsMem<3 ~ I haven't seen that style! It's such a gorgeous color, and I LOVE the illusion neckline version Smiley smile

mandygurl88 ~ It's awesome that a majority of your girls will be with you for the appointment because you'll all get a chance to figure out what everyone is most comfortable in! And I love that that's a priority for you Smiley smile I'd suggest staying away from anything a-line, and skewing towards chiffon (flowy and flattering!) and some sort of straps!

• Christina
    Master October 2017
    Christina ·
    • Flag

Oooo @MrsMem<3 ~ I haven't seen that style! It's such a gorgeous color, and I LOVE the illusion neckline version Smiley smile

@mandygurl88 ~ It's awesome that a majority of your girls will be with you for the appointment because you'll all get a chance to figure out what everyone is most comfortable in! And I love that that's a priority for you Smiley smile I'd suggest staying away from anything a-line, and skewing towards chiffon (flowy and flattering!) and some sort of straps!

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie ·
    • Flag

I love the dress that @Summer posted! I think you've got the right approach to bridesmaid dress shopping @mandygurl88. Let them try things on to see what fits well, and as long as you have some type of straps you should be good for the ladies who are more "well endowed" Smiley smile

• Mrs Gonzales
    VIP September 2011
    Mrs Gonzales ·
    • Flag

For my sisters wedding we are wearing these and the bridesmaids range from small to extra fluffy. They have straps and come in long and short. They were so comfortable when we tried them on like were a nightgown

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_long-mesh-dress-with-cowl-back-detail-f15933_bridesmaid-dresses-all-bridesmaid-dresses

• OG Ruth
    Master October 2015
    OG Ruth ·
    • Flag

My BMs were all different sizes and one was pregnant. They wore dresses that had an empire waist. They were nice and flowy and complimented everyone's figures.

• April
    Super March 2016
    April ·
    • Flag

This one is good for pregnant bridesmaids. I'm using it for mine and not only are they all different sizes but I have one that is pregnant and two that are very busty

• WithHitch11/07
    Dedicated November 2015
    WithHitch11/07 ·
    • Flag

My bridesmaids dresses wore something similar to what April posted. V-neck and a-line waist. It let's the ladies with a larger bust where a regular supportive bra, but also helps camouflage tummy, hips, tush.

ETA: grammar

• mandygurl88
    Dedicated September 2016
    mandygurl88 ·
    • Flag

These are all really pretty, I will have to keep the ones from David Bridal and Bill Levkoff in mind when we go! Thanks ladies this helps a lot :-)

• JaKLyn
    Master November 2015
    JaKLyn ·
    • Flag

These are the dresses my girls picked at David's Bridal. MOH had the halter top, the rest picked the one shoulder. I thought it looked great on all of them, and here's one of my girls in her dress.

• OG Kathryn
    Champion May 2016
    OG Kathryn ·
    • Flag

Check out the Versa at DB, they can customize the top and they are all long. I had sizes 2 to 22 and everyone looked and felt great in them. Good Luck. Post what you choose.

• mandygurl88
    Dedicated September 2016
    mandygurl88 ·
    • Flag

I will! Depending on what we do, I might do a vote too.

Has anyone found anything at like Macy's or a department store. I know I've read online that brides have found dresses there, but I'm just afraid with plus sizes it might be a lot harder.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles