SoontobeStuddard
Expert April 2016

Bridesmaid gifts?

SoontobeStuddard, on October 14, 2015 at 4:09 PM Posted in Planning 0 19
Saved Save

I have 5 bridesmaids, 3 of them are coming in from out of state.

I'm on a tight budget, but I wanted to do something nice for them, because it means the world to me for them to stand with me on the big day.

I'm currently over budget and I'm having to make cuts with things and I'm analyzing my gifts and wondering if it's too much.

Personalized wine glass w/ mini bottle of wine (how I proposed to them)

Monogrammed robes

Jewelry

Hair & makeup the day of the wedding

Spa gift box

I know the general rule of thumb is that it's technically not a gift it they wear it for the wedding. Is there something that I can eliminate from the list or is that perfect?

Again, I really want to do my girls right, because most of them are traveling and I'm very appreciative of them being there for me.

19 Comments

• OG Kristen
    Master October 2015
    OG Kristen ·
    • Flag

I personally think it's a bit much. I'm getting my BMs jewelry, a nice bottle of wine, and a makeup bag.

• ShibaMommy
    Super October 2016
    ShibaMommy ·
    • Flag

I agree that it is very generous of you. If you are requiring them to get hair/MU professionally done, than it is nice you are including it, but otherwise unnecessary (unless they've already been told this is coming.)

I think you could cut out the robe (unless you planned to do getting ready photos in them) or the spa gift box. I'm not a fan of getting anything scented or body products unless I've selected them personally since I'm very particular.

All in all, you're being very generous, and I would suggest making some cuts since you mentioned budget might be an issue. Just do what makes you comfortable, it seems they will be well taken care of.

• M
    Master July 2015
    m ·
    • Flag

For a tight budget, that's a LOT of useless stuff. Spa kits are rarely worth the price you pay, there's zero point to the robes and they're not a good use of money, etc...

Stick with hair/makeup, and get them something individualized to each of them (ie, a dif piece of jewelry for each person based on tastes).

• Sara
    Expert December 2015
    Sara ·
    • Flag

I would nix the spa gift box. The other items are great, and they will definitely appreciate the hair & makeup. The robes and jewelry will be nice keepsakes. Add in a handwritten heartfelt note to each of them, and they will love it.

• SoontobeStuddard
    Expert April 2016
    SoontobeStuddard ·
    • Flag

I definitely would love the robes for photo ops, but could try to find a less expensive alternative. Hopefully someone local could monogram them instead of getting them from Etsy.

I'll nix the spa gift boxes!

Thank you ladies so much!

• Ally
    Master October 2016
    Ally ·
    • Flag
  • Jessica
    Dedicated September 2016
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

I think that might be a bit much too. I understand you are really appreciative for them traveling and what not, but they wouldn't be doing it if they didn't love you Smiley smile They would surely understand. I personally can't say how I feel about the "if they wear it, it's a gift" deal. Haven't gotten there yet, but I think I'm leaning more towards ...regardless if they wear it or not, if you spent your own money then it's a gift.

• Nic
    Dedicated November 2015
    Nic ·
    • Flag

Definitely make some cuts where you see fit if you are going over budget. One way to make them feel appreciated could be write them a nice note and include a cute picture frame with a picture of the two of you, or send a pro pic from the wedding afterwards.

• M
    Master July 2015
    m ·
    • Flag

Jessica, yes, it's still a gift, but kind of a shitty and selfish gift, no? We don't consider it a gift because it's not personalized and required no thought, and is only for photo ops, and yech.

• Ally
    Master October 2016
    Ally ·
    • Flag

Nicole brings up a cost effective personal gift, too. A photo of you and the bridesmaid in a frame that's in their style with a hand written card/note is a very meaningful gift.

• Lbee59
    Super June 2016
    Lbee59 ·
    • Flag

I got all 4 girls personalized tshirts also i want to get them jewelry.....thats about all i can afford. My MOH is getting her own robe.

If i were you id leave out the spa gift box

• seattlebride1105
    Devoted November 2016
    seattlebride1105 ·
    • Flag

I really like Nicole's suggestion and I would love to receive that gift!

• Botty
    Super July 2016
    Botty ·
    • Flag

That's a ton of gifts! I would skip the wine and wine glasses and spa kit, I think jewelry is enough. When I was a BM in my cousin's wedding she gave us gorgeous earrings as a gift and it was lovely and appreciated. I think jewelry and a nice note if you're already paying for hair and makeup is plenty. Oh, I also think the robes are unnecessary, but I understand you may want pictures in them. But I still think they're over the top.

• Rachel DellaPorte
    March 2020
    Rachel DellaPorte ·
    • Flag

You don't have to do this much, really. The robes are lovely (and while they are technically going to be used for a wedding photo op, they may use them again). The hair and make-up, while generous, doesn't count as a gift (sorry...). However, you're still doing too much. The robes are nice, but if you want to add something that has nothing to do with your wedding, get them each a pair of CZ stud earrings set in SS or surgical steel (not the obvious costume jewelry from Claire's or the monster-sized huge stones, but something tasteful and believable that comes out of a jewelry case at Kohl's, Penney's, or Macy's). They aren't expensive (under $30) and there is no woman who will not one day find an occasion to wear them. Just be sure to tell them that they aren't wedding jewelry. Beyond that, remember, it's not Christmas. They don't need a pile of gifts. You're good to go.

• RJmargo
    Master May 2016
    RJmargo ·
    • Flag

I agree that you don't need to give them that much especially since you can't afford it. It sounds like you already gave them the wine and the wine glass when you ask them to be bms. You mentioned covering hair and makeup which is great. Skip the robe and spa box. At the RD or Day of give them the jewelry and a nice note. That is plenty. They will know you appreciate them being there without you having to shower them with gifts.

• N
    Master October 2016
    no1 ·
    • Flag

I'd say keep the robe and the jewelry. They can wear it after the wedding and if you look you can find really great deals.

Unless they know that you are planning to have them get there hair and make-up done Its not nessecary. If you are not planning on doing getting ready pics (or they are not important to you) them maybe you could pay for there hair. I personaly dont really like other people doing my make-up .

• Christine
    Master October 2015
    Christine ·
    • Flag

My gifts to my bridesmaids were very similar to yours. Although the robes are yes, a photo op, I let mine choose the color and they actually all really liked them. Maybe nix the spa kit?

• C
    Expert May 2016
    cakewalk82 ·
    • Flag

I say nix the spa box. The hair and makeup is very generous, I wish I could have done that for my bm's but it wasn't in my budget. I would consider that a gift if a bride paid for mine! Many people are saying nix the robes but I think they look awesome in pics. And I love robes! I have four and I still steal my fiances. A lot of girls would make use of them.

• Tara
    Devoted November 2015
    Tara ·
    • Flag

If you open to switch from robes to tanks or button downs that will save you a bunch of money

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics