Terra
Expert September 2020

Bridal Shows?

Terra, on December 31, 2018 at 4:20 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 7
Saved Save

Hi all! I'll be attending a bridal show with my sister in a week and I honestly don't know what to expect. I just figured this would be a good, fun way to kick off the legitimate planning period (everything I've done so far has only been between myself and FH whenever I bother him enough to ask a question, lol). I know it's essentially like a convention for wedding vendors, but that's about all the info I have. Would we pretty much be walking up to tables and asking for more information? Should we be carrying any cash for anything? Did anyone end up actually booking someone they came across at a bridal show? I'm not expecting to get much out of this besides a couple hours of wedding related fun, but I don't really know what we'll be walking into.

7 Comments

• Alyssa
    Master December 2019
    Alyssa ·
    One person recommended taking return address labels to cut filling out paperwork

some say vendors are pushy

many say theres freebie and samples
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·

Agree with pp. If you haven't yet, the #1 recommendation is to create a wedding only email account and ONLY give that address to anyone you deal with related to the wedding -- especially if you go to a bridal show. You will be bombarded with emails from vendors -- many claiming to be "following up on meeting you at the show," even if you never talked to them. The bridal shows sell/give your contact information to everyone, so having a separate email helps keep all the junk out of your regular email. Also, once you really get into your planning it's very helpful to have everything wedding-related (e.g., all contact with your vendors, etc.) in one separate account.

Other than that, the show was fun and an exciting thing to do shortly after daughter got engaged, but honestly, we didn't end up using any vendors from there. It was still worthwhile though to see what's out there and to get an idea on pricing. Be aware there will be lots of hard sell "book at the show for a HUGE discount..." tactics. Go and have fun! (Also, don't be surprised if a day or two later you receive emails claiming that you "won a drawing!" They are likely come-ons trying to get you to sit through a pitch to sell you over priced pots & pans or host a Mary Kay party, etc.)

One more PS -- generally, really good vendors are not going to be at bridal shows; they get PLENTY of business from referrals/word-of-mouth, so they have no need to waste a Saturday or Sunday at a bridal fair (and they are probably booked for a wedding that day anyway). Our impression was that most the vendors there were relatively new and just starting out, or especially for photographers, there were a lot of big photography companies (mills?) who have a bunch of photographers they contract out to. When you hire those companies, you won't really know and/or have much say in who will actually photograph your wedding. So, be aware and ask a LOT of questions, if you think you might be interested in a vendor.

• MissSoonToBe
    Expert May 2020
    MissSoonToBe ·
    Great time to see what’s out there but I agree with the ladies before me. Be sure to ask questions and don’t be intimidated by pushy vendors. And most highly booked vendors will not be in attendance. So do your research 😊 Do enjoy the freebies
  • Burnadette
    Savvy August 2021
    Burnadette ·
    Thanks for asking this I am headed to one this Saturday with my MOH and one of my bridesmaids.
  • Kenisha
    Champion June 2019
    Kenisha ·
    Do your research. Enjoy freebies but create a separate email account because you will get spammed to death 💀
  • Terra
    Expert September 2020
    Terra ·
    Thanks for all the awesome info, ladies! I do have a separate email set up, but I used my regular one to register for the show without thinking about it. I guess that'll be a good way to tell which vendors I *actually* talked to, though, and which ones just bought my info. Thank y'all!
  • Emily
    Devoted August 2018
    Emily ·

I LOVED going to bridal shows. Vendors get pushy, so you have to know when to tell them to shut up. One of the shows I went to had a run way and they would show different dresses. You can enter into a raffle to win a FREE honeymoon. I never won, but it was great to see the girls face when she did win!

It's a great way to see different ideas that you never thought of.

If you put your phone number down on stuff, you will get 3 billion phone calls saying you won a small gift and you have to drive forever away to get it. So every time I got a phone call, I would answer , let them talk for a second, and hang up because I knew it was a sales call.

Have fun!

Comment on this discussion