Samantha
Devoted May 2014

Bouquet & garter toss...will you or won't you?

Samantha, on April 17, 2013 at 8:00 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 51
Saved Save

I've seen at lot of weddings lately where they just do the bouquet toss and they don't do the whole garter taking off and tossing bit. What's your opinion on here?

51 Comments

• Chrissy
    Expert June 2014
    Chrissy ·
    • Flag

I'm not sure i want to do either. Many of my friends are engaged or married, and I don't feel the need to do it.

• MonkeysandBananas
    Super May 2014
    MonkeysandBananas ·
    • Flag

We're not going to do either, everybody is pretty much married by now, we are the "last" couple to be married out of our group.

• Tracey
    Super June 2013
    Tracey ·
    • Flag

Nope .. neither one Smiley smile

• Terri
    VIP August 2013
    Terri ·
    • Flag

We have a lot of guests who are not married....so we are doing both. We also will have several children, so we are adding something so they get to participate but without imposing on the adults. For the kids, we will be tossing little stuffed animals for the girls, and little soft footballs for the boys....then a traditional bouquet toss for the ladies and a garter around a football for the guys.

• Combay
    Master April 2013
    Combay ·
    • Flag

Doing both. I've always wanted to toss the bouquet and FH wants the full wedding experience. Since I'm carrying a clutch, I just made a small bouquet to toss.

• Beth
    VIP September 2013
    Beth ·
    • Flag

Neither. I always hate them and think they are awkward at weddings.

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

We had two bouquets and two garters, and didn't throw any of them. Acting as if all your guests are just dying to get married, and will compete with each other for the chance, just seemed insulting.

• Trena
    Master July 2013
    Trena ·
    • Flag

FH and I hated getting dragged up there to a terrible song and the DJ forcing us to do stupid things, even after we were engaged. Why would we submit others to that same feeling??

So, no. Not doing it.

• Out the Window
    Master May 2014
    Out the Window ·
    • Flag

No, it was always awkward to me. Plus, we're one of the lasts among our friends!

• TheNewMrsT
    VIP October 2013
    TheNewMrsT ·
    • Flag

Neither....Ive always hated going up for that at others weddings so Im not going to make my guests feel the same way, plus, most of our guests are in relationships, married, etc

• Almost Mrs. Wifey//(*;*)\\
    Super August 2013
    Almost Mrs. Wifey//(*;*)\\ ·
    • Flag

Go figure for me, this is the ONE thing FH wants to do. Uhhhh. Haha. I think its awkward and am not all that excited about it, but we do have a lot of single friends so I guess it will be ok. But I was thinking maybe I could have everyone stand up and throw the bouquet for luck instead of singles. And have FH just walk the garter over to a friend of ours who needs to propose to his longtime girlfriend and hand it to him.

• Sandi
    Devoted April 2013
    Sandi ·
    • Flag

No we will not. We are doing things differently. Expect the unexpected and taking in the moment. :-)

• Kaity
    Super September 2013
    Kaity ·
    • Flag

We are going too! I think it's a fun little tradition. If someone feels "awkward" then they don't have to particpate! Smiley winking

• Mrs Roberts
    VIP March 2013
    Mrs Roberts ·
    • Flag

We did a garter and bouquet toss.. Smiley smile

• FinallyDoingIt
    Master July 2014
    FinallyDoingIt ·
    • Flag

I'm not doing either one.

• Jaclyn
    VIP April 2013
    Jaclyn ·
    • Flag

We didnt do it last time. but we are this time. Smiley smile

• Mrs. Del Grosso
    Master June 2013
    Mrs. Del Grosso ·
    • Flag

I'm going all out with the bouquet toss and with the garter toss. I could careless what grandma is around (my grandmother is in her 70's, drinks, and gets up on the bars and dances with my step mom lol) I bought the garter in his favorite color. He's taking it off with his teeth too! But if neither of the catchers are comfortable doing there thing after then it's completely up to them

• Erin
    VIP September 2013
    Erin ·
    • Flag

We are doing both. They are awkward but, it doesn't feel like a wedding without them to me.

• Ashonté
    Expert October 2013
    Ashonté ·
    • Flag

Not doing either one

• ForeverMyLove
    Master December 2014
    ForeverMyLove ·
    • Flag

Do not care for this tradition. We are not doing either.

Comment on this discussion