Brae
VIP September 2019

Book hamu before trial?

Brae, on August 29, 2018 at 4:07 PM Posted in Hair and Makeup 0 17
Saved Save
Okay. So I have the majority of my major vendors booked, so I'm starting to look and hair and makeup artists. I feel like I've seen a lot of people on other posts recommend to book relatively far out (about a year) due to them booking up quickly. But I kinda feel weird booking before doing a trial with someone. I also see people on ww taking advantage of their trial for the day of their bridal shower, or an alterations appointment, which seems like an great idea, but that is cutting it super close on if I'd be able to book them. How did you go about this? Multiple trials? Trusting reviews and booking before a trial? Or having a trial then booking and not talking to them for months? Or any other options lol

17 Comments

• FutureMrsB
    Expert March 2019
    FutureMrsB ·
    • Flag

I have never thought of it like this.... I have already booked my hair & makeup artist (back in May actually) and we are not doing a trial until January.. I guess this is one of this issues that some brides run into when they have to schedule multiple trials. The person I booked actual did my makeup for a friends wedding that I was in and I loved it.

Honestly, you could schedule the a trial whenever you want. I would assume that the artist would be willing to work with you and understand where you are coming from seeing as they deal with many brides! Smiley smile

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I did two trials prior to booking. One cost $100 for hair & makeup, I traveled to her salon. I wasn't a fan of either, so I kept looking. The second was $80 for both and she came to my house. I LOVED both and booked her on the spot! I'm so happy I did another and didn't go with the first one. I plan on doing another trial closer to the wedding, after I've found my dress & veil & accessories. So the whole process cost me extra, but it was far in advance and worth it to me. I booked the two women off their reviews, pictures, and cost. I booked my HAMU 13 months out.

• Katie
    Dedicated October 2018
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    I booked mine before my trial. I went off of reviews and followed them on social media. I really liked their work that I saw on their website and social media so I felt comfortable booking before
  • Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh that's great that you already knew you liked them! I liked the person who did my makeup in the last wedding I was in, but that was out of the country.
  • Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah. This is what I'm thinking. More money overall, but gives me peace of mind.
  • Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    I booked mine before trial! Mine doesn’t do trials till about a month before the wedding and they book up quick.
  • Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah! That's how I did my photographer and I'm super confident in her, so I dont know why this is different for me lol. I guess our engagement photos will be like a trial.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

It was SO worth it to me!

• Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Curious, did you have friends that went with this person, or just online reviews?
  • Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah. I guess I'll just start messaging some to get ideas and see if they even do trials this far out. I didn't realize some didn't, like Kelly's, so that's good to know.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I didn't find any that didn't do trials. Lots didn't do free trials (obviously) if they weren't booked, but they just treated trials like a regular hair & makeup appointment for one person. I'm in Denver and contacted around 20 women who all did trials far in advance.

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    My wedding planner recommended this person! She’s worked with her a ton.
  • Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah, I'm definitely not expecting free haha. That's super reassuring. Thank you!
  • Brae
    VIP September 2019
    Brae ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That's a great idea! I don't have a planner, but I do have a doc, so I'll ask her and my photographer for recommendations. Thanks!
  • Tpatb
    Master August 2019
    Tpatb ·
    • Flag
    My mua doesn’t book appointments more than 6mos in advance for weddings. She comes highly recommended & I also stalked her work. I used her for my engagement pics as a “pre-trial run”, so when it comes to book her for my wedding I can focus on the actual wedding look. My coordinator also made a recommendation who I had as a backup. When choosing, I wanted to focus on that person’s style of makeup..hadn’t I liked her my process would’ve been the same probably..to just book someone when I needed them & go from there lol
  • queenbee
    VIP October 2018
    queenbee ·
    • Flag
    I booked my HMUA without first having a trial. Things book fast around me, especially for reasonably priced hair and makeup for weddings, so I didn’t want to wait to book. My HMUA also advised me to schedule my trial no more than 2 months before the wedding because my skin and hair will be closest to what it will be on my wedding day. I could’ve scheduled an earlier trial to test her out, but that would’ve been an extra $200 that I just didn’t have and then would’ve still needed/wanted to have a trial closer to the wedding probably. The girl I hired is reputable and I’ve seen plenty of photos of her wedding work so I’m not worried I made the wrong decision by booking without a trial first.
  • Maggie
    Super April 2020
    Maggie ·
    • Flag
    I found one that does HMU trials, day of, and mani pedi for $320 and they were on the preferred vendor list, i’m Just not sure how soon to book them because I don’t have the funds to book it just yet unless you don’t do a deposit?

Comment on this discussion