Casey
Dedicated October 2019

Best weekday for a wedding

Casey, on April 12, 2019 at 11:04 AM Posted in Planning 0 42
Saved Save
Ok so, I’m a cheapskate and the venue I’m looking at is much cheaper on Monday - Thursday. If you were going to attend a wedding, would you prefer a Monday or a Thursday? Monday seems weird but it makes the most sense to me because people can just prolong their weekend by a day. The wedding party will already be off that Sunday for rehearsal and won’t have to miss work. What do you guys think?

42 Comments

• S
    Expert October 2019
    Sara ·
    Maybe try tying your date into a holiday weekend to make it easier for people—especially out of town guests who are taking off work to travel. My cousin got married on a Thursday but the day after was a holiday so a lot of people already had off.
  • Christine
    Devoted September 2020
    Christine ·

I'd be more likely to go to a Thursday wedding than a Monday wedding, honestly. Just be prepared for a lot of your guests to not be able to make it either way though!

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    Is the wedding out of town or local for most guests?
  • Casey
    Dedicated October 2019
    Casey ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Local for most
  • Casey
    Dedicated October 2019
    Casey ·
    My other option is a Friday but with less time in the chapel. 2.5 hours for Friday vs 4 hours for Monday or Thursday. Guess I could get hair and make up done before I arrive and then just get dressed and puce at the chapel.
  • Dita
    Expert August 2019
    Dita ·
    I’d say Thursday out of the two because then they could make a long weekend and relax before the next week starts. I wouldn’t expect many to make it or even want to attend a Monday wedding - most would leave early or would have to/want to take the next day off as well just to relax so then that could potentially be two days they’d have to request off and a whole week ahead. I’ve been to a Thursday wedding before and it was definitely a lot easier for those who had to take off work.
  • Future Mrs. K
    VIP June 2019
    Future Mrs. K ·

I would do a Friday if you could swing it. I personally probably would skip a Monday or Thursday wedding. A Monday I would have to leave early to get ready for work the next day and prepare for the week and a Thursday I would either have to take two days off of work or again leave early to be at work Friday.

• Amanda
    Master December 2020
    Amanda ·
    I need this answer too! I was thinking monday as well because then our honeymoon days are better too.
  • Sara
    Super October 2019
    Sara ·

I agree with the Thursday votes. If I was in the wedding, I'd probably expect to be taking some time off work regardless, but doing a Wednesday evening rehearsal could help. As a guest though, I'd much rather go to a Thursday evening wedding and take off Friday to make it a long weekend instead of possibly taking off a Tuesday.

• LB
    Champion November 2016
    LB ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree with this. I wouldn't take off a Friday because I was attending a local Thursday wedding. I'd just leave the wedding early.
  • Victoria
    VIP October 2018
    Victoria ·
    If you could do the Friday I would choose that and get your hair and makeup done before you arrive like you mentioned. It's not a big deal to get that stuff done off-site. Lots of brides do it.

Other than that, I'd rather a Thursday wedding. Since most of your guests are local they could probably get a half day of work in, if not a whole day, then take the Friday off if they wanted. I think any other weekday, manybof your guests might start to leave early because they have work the next day.
  • FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·

For a local wedding I'd prefer a Thursday. Mondays are busy at work and gearing up the week ahead and I would have to leave early. I can go to a wedding Thursday and struggle a little through my Friday at work before having the weekend off.

• Allehsaurus
    Beginner October 2019
    Allehsaurus ·

I'd say do the Friday if possible. I'm having hair & makeup done at home as our venue doesn't allow it on-site (sanitary issue since they are a bar and serve food...yes I'm getting married in a bar). No biggie to get it done beforehand and then arrive at your location looking glam.

• Sherry
    VIP September 2019
    Sherry ·

Unless you were my sibling or a really close family member, I would skip both week day options. Friday, I would be more likely to be able to leave work early to attend. My vacation days are limited so I would need to save them for emergencies or unexpected absences.

• Kelly
    Champion October 2018
    Kelly ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Then I would do Thursday. But I still wouldn’t expect people to stay past 9.
  • Kayla
    Savvy May 2019
    Kayla ·

I would probably vote for Thursday! Especially if it's local for most people. I'd much rather take a Friday off and have an extra long weekend than a Tuesday the next day.

• A
    Just Said Yes November 2019
    Ashley ·

I would prefer a Thursday! Just because I would be able to have a long weekend off of work after the wedding.

• Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    Is Sunday an option? Brunch is much cheaper than dinner (and you wouldn’t need a DJ/dancing). Or an early Sunday evening wedding that would end by 8 pm.
  • W
    Dedicated October 2019
    WeddingBliss ·

I would do Thursday.

My DOC was telling me the other day, a few years ago she got married at our venue with her husband on a Wednesday in August - they invited 190x people & they really thought that a lot of people would decline because of it being mid week... and 188x people showed up. She was shocked that so many people showed up.

Most of them were local.

• Soon2Bmrsp
    VIP May 2019
    Soon2Bmrsp ·

Is Sunday an option, I would not want to attend a weekday wedding as a guest. I wouldnt want to be in a weekday wedding as an attendant either.

Comment on this discussion