Terra
Expert September 2020

bbq Restrictions?

Terra, on March 3, 2019 at 3:48 PM Posted in Planning 0 14
Saved Save
This isn't a super pressing question, as we've got a while to go still, but it's been on my mind. We're leaning towards BBQ for the reception, both for monetary purposes and bc it's one of FH's fave kinds of food. However, SIL's husband and their two kids are halal so they don't eat pork. There are still non-halal items served at a lot of the family holidays so they're used to asking before eating, but I love them and would rather they spend the night filling their plate rather than worrying about the kind of meat on it. All of this to say: neither FH or I feel at a loss if we skip pork in the BBQ, but would you as a guest be cranky about it? Is it silly to adapt the entire meat selection to accommodate 3 guests? I know it matters to them and we'll enjoy beef and chicken just as much, but I don't want other guests to get pissed off about it for some reason.

14 Comments

• Kelly
    Master October 2018
    Kelly ·
    I wouldn’t be mad to not have pork. But my husband is Jewish so I’m used to there not being pork around his extended family. I would just make sure to have a vegeterian option along with chicken and beef.
  • Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy ·
    I’m having a bbq buffet and we have a vegan bbq tempeh option that we can just add on by the pound to accommodate our guests who don’t eat meat at all. I know it’s not the same situation but something to think about.
  • KitandKaboodle
    Master November 2016
    KitandKaboodle ·

I have been to many barbeques where there was no pork. Just make sure your menu is full of other others.

• Leigh
    Dedicated January 2020
    Leigh ·
    We’re in the same situation but will have pork and chicken. I don’t think people will make a big deal if there’s no pork, but I think as long as your ILs can eat 1 meat you’re fine. I hope it goes well!
  • Grace
    Super May 2019
    Grace ·

I wouldn't be mad about no pork at all! In all honesty, I probably wouldn't even notice between all the other delicious items offered at BBQs! I'm pretty sure I have been to BBQs before where the dish was chicken rather than pork...I can't remember so obviously it didn't stand out one way or the other ;-)!

• H
    Savvy May 2019
    Hayley ·
    We're doing barbeque with beef brisket and pulled chicken. Most of my side of the guest list doesn't eat pork, so I didn't even give it a second thought.
  • Laura
    Rockstar October 2019
    Laura ·

I've been to a few BBQ receptions and not all had pork. There are beef ribs instead of pork ones. I think it's wonderful that you're thinking about them!

• Tara
    Master May 2020
    Tara ·
    I don’t eat pork and no I wouldn’t be cranky about it as long as there were chicken, turkey and other options. To be brutally honest, I don’t think anyone should be cranky about that unless they are paying for their own meal. If you’re not, then oh well. Pack snacks or eat beforehand.
  • Tara
    Master May 2020
    Tara ·
    I don’t think you should take pork completely away, is it possible you could request it to be labeled and in a different area than the other meats?
  • Btbride
    Super August 2019
    Btbride ·

I'm having a BBQ wedding with no pork, we're doing brisket and chicken. I don't think anyone will care. BBQ is not necessarily synonymous with pork anyways!

• L
    Dedicated March 2020
    Laura ·
    We will be doing BBQ and beef brisket but also have special plates made by our caterer for the guests who are vegan or vegetarian. No sense in leaving out a food we love when there our caterer could accommodate for the few that couldn’t eat our menu selections.

The soecial plates came at me at no extra cost so I’d talk o your caterer to see if they can’t just add a few items for those 3 guests
  • Disneybride
    Dedicated April 2021
    Disneybride ·
    I don't eat pork so I would just stick to beef or chicken
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Champion March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    I love BBQ pork! Wouldn’t you have other items though (BBQ chicken or vegetarian), so they’ll have plenty to choose from? Simply choose a menu that accommodates a range of diet restrictions: Halal, gluten-free, vegetarian, dairy/nut allergies.
  • FutureMrsD
    Rockstar July 2019
    FutureMrsD ·

Can you offer two proteins? We've had BBQ cater multiple parties and we always get brisket & pulled pork.

Comment on this discussion