chocolategirl
Expert August 2010

Are you feeding your vendors

chocolategirl, on February 12, 2010 at 10:22 AM Posted in Planning 0 25
Saved Save

This may sound a bit selfish, but I figure if I am paying you to be here, you can take care of your own meal.

My venue will feed one vendor free.

However, on average, who pays for the feeding of the vendor, te vendor or the bride/groom?

I don't want them to not eat and play terrible music.

looking for advice here.

25 Comments

• Konichiwa
    Master January 2010
    Konichiwa ·
    • Flag

Some vendors actually have it in their contract that you feed them. Some photographers and DJs are working non stop ALL day with you. So it makes sense to feed them. Find out if your vendors require it or not. My DJ didn't require it but said it was greatly appreciated, so I provided them with a vendor meal. When I asked my Photog if he wanted food, he said not to include him because he eats before hand and doesn't usually have time while working. I think it just depends on the vendor.

• Alexandra
    Expert June 2012
    Alexandra ·
    • Flag

I'm feeding - reason being, if you don't feed them, there is usually a clause that says the vendor can have time off from your wedding to go buy food. So if you need them present (i.e. DJ, photographer, wedding planner, etc.) then you need to feed them yourself so they don't take 1 hr off to go pay for their own dinner

• Konichiwa
    Master January 2010
    Konichiwa ·
    • Flag

My venue also charged half price for the vendor meals because it didn't have to be plated and served like the other guests did. Find out if your vendor provides a discount for other than the 1 that is included. If not, order a pizza for them!

• xfiftyfour
    Expert August 2010
    xfiftyfour ·
    • Flag

I'm definitely feeding my vendors. I'd want someone to feed me if I was working for 5 hours straight! Smiley smile

• Lavin3223
    Dedicated April 2011
    Lavin3223 ·
    • Flag

Our vendors do not require it but it is recommended as far as I can tell. My venue was charging $75 per plate for the vendors but we worked something out with the venue to serve them cheaper bar food. There is no need for them to be eating filet!!

• chocolategirl
    Expert August 2010
    chocolategirl ·
    • Flag

Thanks Ladies! You just got my DJ fed. lol.

• Kelly Embry
    February 2020
    Kelly Embry ·
    • Flag

Think about the alternative.

Do you really want your dj, photographer, etc. to leave for an hour in the middle of your reception to go and find their own food?

Most vendors will have it in their contract if they require it, but it is always just courteous to offer. Think about it, if you were working up to 12 hours strait, would you not want a moment to eat and re-energize to make it through the 2nd half of the day? Plus you definitely dont need to feed your vendors something super expensive, most caterers/venues offer a "vendor" meal that is quick and packed with protein and veggies/fruit of some sort (fuel foods). Of course if you really want to feed us some super yummy food (or cake for that matter) we'll never turn you down Smiley smile

(as a side note, when i do break to eat i usually dont take more than 15-20 minutes and i always try to stay within site or earshot of the bride and/or groom so that i dont miss anything. i will stop eating mid bite if a shot presents itself)

• Puffywaun
    Beginner June 2010
    Puffywaun ·
    • Flag

My vendors are part of a team that makes my wedding the special event I want it to be. True they are working and I am paying them for it. However, I also want them to have a good time because if they are having fun, then it will show in their work. Everyone likes to be treated with respect and be considered. Our vendors have gone out of their way to help us and the least I can do is feed them as guest, as a special way of saying thank you to them for the months of work they have put into our special day.

• A
    Devoted September 2010
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

My ceremony/reception is a total of 5 hours starting mid afternoon. I will not be feeding my vendors because they can eat before they come. I brought this up in each of my meetings, because my catering company does not discount food. The vendors actually understood! They even said, im paying them to work, not eat. Smiley smile

• Amanda Howard
    February 2020
    Amanda Howard ·
    • Flag

I require a meal in my contracts. The average wedding is 8 hours, and lots of running around, on my feet the entire time, no sitting. As a photographer, I eat when the bride and groom eat, so that way I dont miss out on the toasts etc. that follow right when the meal is done.

• kt
    Dedicated November 2009
    kt ·
    • Flag

Yes- I paid for my photographer, his assistant, and the DJ's meals. Our photographer was with us from 2pm until 11pm, it woudln't have been right to not feed them. We ordered vendor meals for them but ended up getting free regular plates like the rest of our guests. Ask your place if they offer cheaper vendor meals.

• Former MDLS now Mrs. K
    Master October 2010
    Former MDLS now Mrs. K ·
    • Flag

I'm going to pay for them to eat, I hadn't thought about this until a post was made a few months ago and some vendors came on and said, as I think some people have already mentioned, that some of them have a meal in their contract.

• Former MDLS now Mrs. K
    Master October 2010
    Former MDLS now Mrs. K ·
    • Flag

They are going to be there a long time so I figure they need to eat too.

• C
    Devoted August 2010
    CamoBride ·
    • Flag

My photographer has in her contract to feed her and her assistant, which I would anyway. The DJ is for 4 hours and I don't recall anything in their contract, but if the man is hungry, by all means - eat!

• Mrs Danie
    Master October 2010
    Mrs Danie ·
    • Flag

Most of my vendors are friends so even if they werent working for us they still would be invited, either way they would get fed. Matter of fact our DJ dropped the price a little if promised him a second plate, he really loves Lasagna... I love my friends.

• Joe Cristello
    February 2020
    Joe Cristello ·
    • Flag

Our typical wedding requires about 1 hour to load up the van, 20-30 minutes of travel, 1 1/2 hours to load in and setup, 5 hour reception, 1 hour to break down and pack up, and a 30 minute drive back to the office. Add that up and we're putting in about about 9 straight hours of work for a 5 hour reception, so we do expect to be fed. Plus everyone works better on a full stomach. Think about when you're at work, if your stomach is growling do you perform well or do you start thinking about when you're going to get a chance to eat?

• kali.n.ryan
    Devoted March 2013
    kali.n.ryan ·
    • Flag

Nope. We are hiring them to feed us. We pay them to take care of us and our guests. it's the vendors responsibility to feed themselves. Make sure you also clarify this before signing anything because sometimes you end up paying to feed people you don't even know.

• ladylee
    Master June 2010
    ladylee ·
    • Flag

I am feeding my vendors. Our photographer will be with us all day. Sure you're paying them for a service but if they're going to be with you for an extended time it's just common courtesy IMO. We'll only have the dj and photographer and possibly a vieographer so it's really not much of an added expense. The banquet manager told us if we have a buffet they won't charge for the vendors. But if we have a plated dinner we will pay for them. But really it doesn't matter to me either way they will be fed.

• Kerin
    Super September 2010
    Kerin ·
    • Flag

Our contracts are set that we are responsible to feed them but I am happy to feed them since they will be working with us for 7 hours.

• AngelaGoodwin
    Devoted April 2013
    AngelaGoodwin ·
    • Flag

If they are going to be there for more than 3-4 hours then I am going to offer them a meal. I just dont want them to get hungry and decide to leave to go get food somewhere else. I figure if they stay put, and stay fed, they will do a better job for me! Lol

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics