You're on our mind during COVID-19. See our related wedding FAQs.

Soon2BMrsCecil
Expert August 2015

Are there any other Kentucky Brides?

Soon2BMrsCecil, on November 1, 2013 at 9:42 AM Posted in Planning 0 13
Saved Save

I'm a born and raised Kentucky girl! We're planning a late summer/early fall wedding of 2015. We've narrowed venues down to 2 with our top pick being Camp Carlson. What are your details for your Kentucky weddings?? Please share!

13 Comments

• CaitlinWife
    VIP November 2013
    CaitlinWife ·
    • Flag

We have family in KY, and originally the plan was to get married there. My input would be to incorporate Kentucky into it. Have bourbon icing on your cake, have a horse and carriage. Little things like that.

• Lacey
    Master May 2014
    Lacey ·
    • Flag

My FH is from Lexington! But... I have never been there! Good luck planning!

• Deborah
    Super August 2013
    Deborah ·
    • Flag

My spouse is from Louisville and about half our guests came up from there (we were married in New York).

• FutureMrsDelpra
    Master October 2015
    FutureMrsDelpra ·
    • Flag

I live in Columbus, Ohio, so just a couple hours from the border of Kentucky. Also, I have family in KY and my FH's brother lives in KY too. Annnnnd date twins Smiley smile

• Kelly H
    Super November 2013
    Kelly H ·
    • Flag

I live in Louisville. Getting married tomorrow at Southern Grace bed and breakfast (southerngracebb.com).

I believe there are several of us Kentucky girls on WW. And a few from Southern Indiana.

I'm not really incorporating anything you would associate with our state in the wedding. My theme is just family. There will only be 16 of us, we will have the entire inn to ourselves.

I'm so excited.

Please share your wedding vision, I would love to hear more of what your thinking.

• Mrs. Pezz
    VIP September 2013
    Mrs. Pezz ·
    • Flag

I live in Indianapolis and my sister lives in Louisville, you'll find there aren't a ton of Midwest peeps here (though there are a decent amount from around Chicago).

• Soon2BMrsCecil
    Expert August 2015
    Soon2BMrsCecil ·
    • Flag

Caitlin S...you just have me the idea of having a bourbon bar! We shall see how that works out!

Lacey M...I love to plan so I'm having a blast. We'll see if that's how I feel when it gets closer.

Courtney S...yay!! How did you decide on your date?

• FutureMrsDelpra
    Master October 2015
    FutureMrsDelpra ·
    • Flag

I wanted Fall but not too far into Fall that it would be too cold! We also started dating in the Fall of 2011. And when we got engaged this past August, I knew I wanted to have at least 2 years to plan Smiley smile

You?

• Soon2BMrsCecil
    Expert August 2015
    Soon2BMrsCecil ·
    • Flag

Kelly S...I haven't really incorporated anything specific about Kentucky into my wedding. However, I was just given an idea lol. I'm thinking of incorporating a bourbon bar somehow. Which would be fitting anyway since we have quite a few bourbon drinkers in my family. My uncles actually own a business called Promotional Wood Products. They make the boxes you see the bourbon in in the stores. They also make custom barrel heads from bourbon barrels. They sell em in bass pro shop now. Anyways...I'm going for a rustic, romantic country feel. I love the burlap and lace look. We will have little wood trunks at various heights on the tables with candles on them and some sunflowers scattered about. Ivory tablecloths with burlap and lace table runners, lots of wooden signs with love quotes and sayings on them, mason jars everywhere. Our venue we've decided on is Camp Carlson in Muldraugh out by Fort Knox. It's a huge lodge that resembles an A-frame log cabin with a stone fireplace and wooden floors. It overlooks a lake and has to additional patios for either the ceremony or extra seating. I'm completely in love with the venue!! I initially wanted a barn but I couldn't find anything that goes for what I'm wanting without driving to Lexington or further and doesn't break my budget. Camp Carlson is a steal! We get it from Friday morning til Sunday morning for only $750!! And we can rent cabins that are on site for the weekend as well. This was important to me because I'm q very hands on person and I MUST be involved in the decorating!

• Soon2BMrsCecil
    Expert August 2015
    Soon2BMrsCecil ·
    • Flag

Kind of the same for us. Kentucky weather is very unpredictable in the fall. We both knew we wanted fall but we also didn't want it to get too cool as the evening goes on. We knew we wanted to wait until I finished school and since we are paying for it ourselves, being 2 years away gives is plenty of time to plan and spend! Lol

• Mrs Lisa M.
    VIP April 2014
    Mrs Lisa M. ·
    • Flag

I'm from Southern Indiana. About 30 minutes east of Louisville but I work in Jeffersonville, Indiana right across the bridge from Louisville.

I have family in London, Manchester and Somerset KY.

I love the rustic idea's you have mentioned!

We are so up in the air with everything at this point. If we end up doing a back yard wedding like we have mentioned, I will be doing some burlap and mason jar stuff too. Our colors are brown/turquoise/white so I will use the blue mason jars I think.

You could also do flavored moonshine....moonshine and mason jars kinda go hand in hand!

• Soon2BMrsCecil
    Expert August 2015
    Soon2BMrsCecil ·
    • Flag

Lisa M...that sound beautiful. I love the Ida of backyard weddings we just don't have the room in anybody's backyard lol! And this is why I love this site...I NEVER thought of moonshine. Not once! And you are exactly right, moonshine and mason jars go hand in hand! Lol

• Kelly H
    Super November 2013
    Kelly H ·
    • Flag

Camp Carlson is very close to where I'm getting married. It sounds beautiful and definitely a.good price.

I only have about 18 hours to go. Getting ready to pack my bag for our minimoon.

Fyi I ran into a lady that does wedding flowers tonight. She also does personalized candy wrappers, tshirts, lots of things. She works at Costco in the floral department. Her part time job is at a vision store. Wouldn't you know I would step on my glasses and break them today. Oh well my path crossed with a great resource for the KY/IN brides. Private message me if you want her info. I'll get back to you.....after my wedding. Same goes for anyone else that might be interested. She would be worth a look.

Happy planning. You have some great, great ideas.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics