Yetunde
Dedicated September 2014

Are menus and programs necessary for wedding?

Yetunde, on August 20, 2014 at 9:17 PM Posted in Style and Décor 0 51
Saved Save

I'm torn as to whether we want to spend the extra money printing programs and menus for each individual guest. We have a 100 guests. What do you lovely people think? Smiley smile

51 Comments

• C
    Master June 2015
    ChampagneDream ·
    • Flag

I like the idea of having both at our wedding. However... They will probably be the first thing to go if the budget gets tight. They're certainly not a necessity.

• Lauren
    Super October 2014
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

I'm doing it. I purchased a printable design off of Etsy for a few dollars and some nice cardstock paper from Hobby Lobby so while it still costs money...it doesn't cost as much as it would to have someone do all the design and printwork for you.

Menus and programs aren't required and are rarely rarely necessary. It's a good place to cut from if you're trying to save a little money. You probably won't regret not having them if you choose to go in that direction.

• Susan
    Master March 2015
    Susan ·
    • Flag

I want programs, but I am totally skipping menu cards. Waste of paper if you ask me, I might consider doing 1 per table since it is a buffet but I doubt that will happen.

Master October 2013
    .... ·
    • Flag

Nope. Not at all. We had no menus and a single easel-style chalkboard as our "program" and we are still married!

To me, it was like saying "here...you throw this away"

• Emma
    Master October 2024
    Emma ·
    • Flag

We're having menus that I printed off on colored paper but no programs. It's totally up to you. Neither is really necessary.

• Yetunde
    Dedicated September 2014
    Yetunde ·
    • Flag

@ Susan, just printing the programs does not sound like a bad idea. Thank you so much ladies! Smiley smile

• Di
    VIP July 2015
    Di ·
    • Flag

I think my church will make one for us. Nothing special, just a basic program. If they don't, I'll make a simple one myself.

• Daria
    Dedicated September 2014
    Daria ·
    • Flag

We are having fans because we live in Texas and having an outdoor ceremony so, the fans will be programs...nothing fancy. We are printing 1 menu per table and again, nothing fancy.

• Jenn...Mrs. F!
    VIP September 2014
    Jenn...Mrs. F! ·
    • Flag

We are not doing either Smiley winking As a guest I never keep them or really look at them for longer than 2 mins., so I didn't waste the money.

• jnissa
    Expert September 2014
    jnissa ·
    • Flag

Our venue provides menu cards at the table, so I'm not arguing about it. Also because we're serving an intermezzo and I can seriously imagine that without a menu card there might be people who think dessert just came out after the appetizer.

But we're probably ditching the programs. Nobody keeps those, right? We may do a sign at the entrance or something instead.

• Caylin C.
    Master August 2015
    Caylin C. ·
    • Flag

I don't want either, but FH insists on programs so we bought some on clearance at Michaels.

• 2d Bride
    Champion October 2009
    2d Bride ·
    • Flag

Nope. And neither are those apostrophes in your subject line.

• JanuaryWedding
    Super January 2016
    JanuaryWedding ·
    • Flag

I don't want either. I agree with the "here... you throw this away" comment. The only time I've thought a program was useful was when it was also a fan at an outdoor wedding.

I would like to have a table with pictures and a brief paragraph about who is in the wedding. This also provides something to look at while waiting for the ceremony to start.

For the menu, it's buffet. I'd like to have a big sign for it, but not a chalkboard "rustic" fan so I'm not sure what to do. Word of mouth maybe.

• Northern MN
    Master November 2014
    Northern MN ·
    • Flag

Not required but I like them so I made them for my wedding/reception.

• T-Rex
    Master August 2013
    T-Rex ·
    • Flag

We did neither. No one complained. :-)

• allidb8579
    Super September 2014
    allidb8579 ·
    • Flag

I did menu cards because we are having a buffet and I wanted the guest to have an idea of what their options were before they went up. Vistaprint was having a sale on post cards so I uploaded my own design and got 100 menus for less than $10. If it wasn't that cheap I would have never did it lol.

• LG
    Master October 2014
    LG ·
    • Flag

We arent doing menu's but we are doing programs. We are having a Jewish wedding, but 80% of the guest list isn't Jewish so I feel like the programs would be useful in this case since most of the guests wont know what is going on.

I just designed the program myself, bought the paper, and am printing them at home. It only ended up costing me around $20 for the nicer cardstock.

• Jessica
    Super October 2014
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

I have been to 7 weddings this year. not one had programs or menus. I think they are a waste if money. what goes in a program anyway?? ceremony reception. I think thats pretty much common sense. and as far as a menu especially for a buffet you still have to go up there and stand in line anyways so I am sure you can see what they have. I just think its a waste. I dont even know anyone that saves the invites or anything.

• Blissful
    Super September 2014
    Blissful ·
    • Flag

Great thread! I was planning on printing my own simple program but wasn't going to do a menu. I like the suggestion of one per table so I might do that...

• FutureMrsZottola
    Master July 2015
    FutureMrsZottola ·
    • Flag

I want menu cards but will only get them if I can get a good enough deal like allidb said!

Comment on this discussion