Melissa
Master March 2018

Are diy bouquets worth it?

Melissa, on August 25, 2016 at 2:20 PM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 37
Saved Save

Since my colors are black and gold I've considered doing fake flowers, and to cut on cost. I found some black and white real touch calla lillies on etsy for $10 for 9 stems. As well as gold baby's breath. I could probably do my bouquet, my 2 BMs, and whatever boutonnière for the gms, probably with supplies for $100 or less.

But what is the process like? I have plenty of time to diy this, but will I hate myself for it?

37 Comments

• Amber
    Super August 2017
    Amber ·

Following. I've thought about doing the same thing. Because quotes are just out of my price range.

• jenifer
    Devoted October 2016
    jenifer ·

I did mine and I'm so glad I did. Took a minute to figure it out but it came out great. I went with it and its so personal.

• Tiffani
    Savvy September 2016
    Tiffani ·

Ladies! I made my own bouquets and BM for 40$!

I got my fliers from Michaels and wire cutters and bouquet holders from hobby lobby! Very pleased to have them all finished for so cheap and they look nice! Worth a shot!

• Melissa
    Master March 2018
    Melissa ·

Ecoflowers were out of my price range and just honestly are not for me, it thank you for the recommendation!

@tiffani, that looks amazing! I think I'll give it a shot

• SailawaySomppi
    VIP April 2018
    SailawaySomppi ·

Melissa Im thinking the same. I did try my hand at a boutonierre and it didnt come out bad...Ill take a pic when I get home

• Alicia
    Super November 2016
    Alicia ·

I'm doing my own!

• Rachel946
    Savvy October 2016
    Rachel946 ·

I made mine and found it to be a lot easier than I was expecting! I am pleasantly surprised at how much I like how mine came out and I should add that I am definitely not a crafty person! I recommend going the DIY route, especially since you have plenty of time to play around with them.

• SciAmoor E.
    Super July 2018
    SciAmoor E. ·

I'm doing mostly succulents with bling of brooches. Still deciding if I'll add flowers (fake or real). I'd like something that I can enjoy for a long time.

• SailawaySomppi
    VIP April 2018
    SailawaySomppi ·

SciAmoor.... did you find fake blue succulents???? Ive trier to find them everywhere

• VJ
    Super November 2016
    VJ ·

I made mine because ... you know... butterflies. It was easier than I expected. Super helpful to get those Styrofoam balls and just stick the wire from the flowers in there to hold the shape.

ETA - it took me about 6 hours with running to the local craft shop and getting drunk in the process to make my bouquet, three BM bouquets and a flower girl. If you have a friend there to help out the process is more fun and faster

• Mrs.NightOwl
    Devoted October 2016
    Mrs.NightOwl ·

Youtube is a life saver on diy bouquets. Real or otherwise. I plan on purchasing my flowers in bulk for around 25 dollars and creating my own.

• Rachel
    Super October 2016
    Rachel ·

Excellent choice of colors! I chose the same! I decided to go with white/cream and gold for the bouquet and since my mom used to have ger own silk floral arrangement business she made my bouquet. This is only the beginning stage of it bc we are adding fresh baby's breath but it can give you some idea of what it will look like. The bridesmaids bouquets and boutonnieres will be smaller versions of this using the same materials

• Mrs Abbey
    VIP July 2017
    Mrs Abbey ·

My friend is DIYing all my flowers for me and they are looking great. I found things I liked and pinned them then sent them to her.

• Melissa
    Master March 2018
    Melissa ·

Ladies all your bouquets ate awesome!! Thanks for the great advice!!

• SaraGdwn
    Devoted November 2022
    SaraGdwn ·

A lot of etsy sellers get their faux flowers from afloral.com. Just a tip on another place look if you decide to go with faux.

• Ruby
    Expert April 2017
    Ruby ·

Omg VJ I love the look of your butterfly bouquet!

• SciAmoor E.
    Super July 2018
    SciAmoor E. ·

SailawaySomppi you can find faux blue succulents on etsy or thediymommy.com

• MrsGill
    Expert August 2016
    MrsGill ·

I though about making my own and then decided I didn't want the extra diy project because I made pretty much everything. On my wedding day I was so glad I got a florist to do it, I gave her a picture of what I wanted a few months before and she nailed it!!! I had summer colors with twine hanging down which matched my baby's breath crown and our bohemian rustic theme but all you girls nailed making your ones, I think mine would have looked like train wreck if I tried

• Natasha
    VIP January 2017
    Natasha ·

Alot of brides are doing their own bouquets I would say it is definitely worth it!

• Ali
    Master June 2017
    Ali ·

I have gone back and forth on this many times. I did my own fake ones for my first wedding and didn't regret it. But this time around I pretty much was set on real flowers. I am a huge flower person and we are getting married in a mountain garden setting. After pricing out different bulk flower suppliers I found mine and was able to double the amount of flowers I could afford by doing them myself. I know the time and effort will be a big thing but I am not really worried, between wine and YouTube videos I am confident I can make it work. I did order silk lilacs from afloral.com because lilacs are my absolute favorite and not in season in June so I am incorporating those into my bouquet.

Comment on this discussion