We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

JulieR
Expert August 2015

Anyone used a travel agent?

JulieR, on January 18, 2015 at 11:11 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 19
Saved Save

So we are realizing that we really need to start planning our honeymoon, but are so lost on where to start! We have talked about either staying local and going to a B&B or going someplace more tropical. I feel like we could really benefit from the help of a travel agent, but I have no idea how they work? Has anyone used one to help with their honeymoon? And if so, is it worth it/helpful, or is it better to just go through websites like expedia?

19 Comments

• Heather A
    Master September 2014
    Heather A ·
    • Flag

Honestly, I have never booked anything through a travel agent and unless I was going somewhere like Thailand I probably never would. I've been to the Bahamas, Florida, San Francisco, San Diego, Richmond, hawaii, etc and I've never once had a travel agent or felt like I did.

• Wendy  Montebello
    June 2020
    Wendy Montebello ·
    • Flag

Here is a great article on why we exist.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2014/07/28/10-reason-why-still-need-travel-agent/?fb_ref=Default&fb_source=message

• annakay511
    Master July 2015
    annakay511 ·
    • Flag

We're using a travel agent! There are NO costs to use their expertise. They make money from when you book from the companies, not from fees charged to you. For something as important as my honeymoon, I just didn't trust an online booking company.

• Nicole
    Master July 2015
    Nicole ·
    • Flag

We are using a travel agent and we really regret it. For our honeymoon, we are going to Sandals Royal Caribbean. If you are very lost, you can definitely try a travel agent, but make sure you do lots of research on that agent first. Ours was really great until we booked and has been a complete nightmare since. On top of that, if you book through a travel agent, resorts won't talk to you at all. I called Sandals trying to just confirm that our travel agent had actually booked the honeymoon and they couldn't give me that information because we used a travel agent. I know there are pros and cons to using one, but if you are going to do a reputable tropical all-inclusive resort like Sandals or Couples, I suggest just doing your own research and booking it yourself. All-inclusives are so simple to book that you don't really need a travel agent anyway.

• Happy In Hawaii
    Master July 2015
    Happy In Hawaii ·
    • Flag

I used a travel agent because I wanted to see what kind of deals they could get me. We knew where we wanted to go but had no idea where exactly we wanted to stay or what we wanted to do. We knew we wanted to go to Tahiti so we ended up using a travel agent through Tahiti.com, so that is nice since they specialize in trips there. But I think for your case, getting some help of different places to go would be really nice to have an agent. So far we haven't had any problems with our agent and it's awesome because it's free! Also they were running some promotional deal and I asked if we'd be eligible since we already booked through them and they said no we aren't eligible but still credited $250 toward any activities we wanted to book so that was cool! You can get special perks that you otherwise wouldn't really be able to get. Also Tahiti isn't an all-inclusive place so we wanted some help with getting to and from the place we're staying and flying between the different islands. It was just more of a complicated trip that it seemed better to have an agent take care of it. We're happy so far!

• MrsLacey2b (Kayleigh)
    Super July 2017
    MrsLacey2b (Kayleigh) ·
    • Flag

I dont use a travel agent unless i feel like i really need the security, i have done plenty of trips without them and done fine. My last trip to Egypt i did use a travel agent - but only because they price matched an online company.

For my honeymoon i will be using a travel agent Smiley smile just think it saves the stress.

• Laura Frazier
    June 2020
    Laura Frazier ·
    • Flag

Hi Julie & Congratulations on your engagement! I wanted to share our advice on why using a travel agents rocks!

A good agent won’t cost more than doing it on your, and can in fact save you money and hours of frustration! But just like any industry, there are great agents, and not so great agents. Here’s some questions to ask when looking for an agent:

- How long have they been in business?

- What professional certifications do they hold?

- Are they able to articulate why they are recommended a certain destination or resort for you

- Are they able to explain all the ins and outs of the trip insurance?

- When is the last time they visited the particular resort or destination they are recommending?

Here are some things to look out for:

- If they only recommend one hotel chain, such as Sandals. Not that Sandals isn’t good, but , it’s not right for everyone.

- If they ask you to pay cash for your trip, run! You should always pay for your travel with either a credit or debit card.

- If they don’t understand the insurance, or aren’t able to explain the insurance, run! If you’re not able to travel for any reason, you could lose 100% of your investment. A great agent will look out for you.

I hope this helps you decide if a travel agent is for you!

• MissJessica
    VIP August 2015
    MissJessica ·
    • Flag

I used a travel agent for our honeymoon and I am really glad that I did. I priced things out online and they were able to get an even better deal. They take care of all of it, the flights, car, hotel, and I look forward to just being able to go without worrying about any of those things.

• kaylarae
    Master April 2015
    kaylarae ·
    • Flag

My aunt is a travel agent and I book everything through her. She finds the best price possible and does all the work and research for me. I love it!

• JulieR
    Expert August 2015
    JulieR ·
    • Flag

Thanks for the help guys! It sounds like the travel agent is the way to go. Now I just have to find one. Lol.

• Shamika
    VIP August 2014
    Shamika ·
    • Flag

We used a travel agent for the extra perks and liked the fact that we only had to put down a deposit and the balance was due 30 days before. We already knew the resort we wanted to stay in a long with the dates we wanted to go, so it made it easier for our travel agent.

We received special perks at the hotel like spa credit, access to the sauna, jacuzzi and pool at the spa, bottle water when we landed among other things.

I also double checked the prices myself and they were able to find better deals then I was able to find on my own.

I used a local travel agent. I tried using a few I found via WW but they seseemed busy with getting me to book, when thru sent the invoices I found charges that they couldn't explain and it honestly didn't work for me communicating with someone via email about smthn so important. We used Liberty Travel, which was conveniently located across the street from my job. She never pressured me to book and never saw any random charges on the bill.

You can surely go to them for ideas and brochures - it's free. Best way to see if it's for you.

My travel agent was even honest about letting me know their was a better resort then the one we wanted to stay at, when it came to the food.

• SunshineJenn
    Master August 2014
    SunshineJenn ·
    • Flag

I used a travel agent. She was awesome and solved all kinds of problems for us, like our guests' flights being cancelled or delayed (we had a DW) and other guests wanting to extend their stay. She also got me a partial refund on our trip because the resort screwed up on something of ours.

I had no issues talking to the resort even though we booked through her.

• Summyya
    Super May 2015
    Summyya ·
    • Flag

I used a travel agent to book our honeymoon to Aruba. I was torn between St. Lucia and Aruba, the reviews for some of the St. Lucia hotels worried me. I pretty much knew where I wanted to stay in Aruba, the resort had 99% positive reviews. I wanted to see if they had any good recommendations for St. Lucia, but I choose Aruba due to the resort I found. I choose the agent who was able to get me a beachfront room. Travel sites and the other agent didn't have the beachfront room available. I'm pretty sure I pissed the other lady off, but why would I choose to be on a waiting list for a room when someone is offering it to me.

I think it better to go with a travel agent if your worried your going to make a bad decision, most of the agents have been to the resorts they are recommending. And sometimes agents have availability sites don't have.

• bridetobe27
    Dedicated July 2015
    bridetobe27 ·
    • Flag

I'm trying to use a travel agent for my honeymoon but i'm realizing that it's cheaper to book through the hotel (excellence playa mujeres) anyone else notice this?

• annakay511
    Master July 2015
    annakay511 ·
    • Flag

@bridetobe27 what does the package the travel agent is quoting you include? Ours includes 2 non-stop flights, all transfers, taxes, fees and gratuities. The price you are finding for the hotel may not actually include all the things your travel agent is quoting you for and that's why you see the price difference.

• bridetobe27
    Dedicated July 2015
    bridetobe27 ·
    • Flag

@annakay511: one of them included all that stuff but another travel agent's quote did and was STILL more expensive than going with resort (which also included everything). Weird. Do travel agents price match? And is there any real significant perk besides the low price?

• D
    Savvy December 2014
    David ·
    • Flag

No i never used travel agents. But you can use travel agents' services if you want it.

• GabelJohnson16
    Savvy September 2016
    GabelJohnson16 ·
    • Flag

We have always used Sterling Expeditions Travel PM me if you'd like their information. They worked with our budget and were awesome!!!

• cargo
    Dedicated June 2006
    cargo ·
    • Flag

If you are looking for a honeymoon expert travel agent, near your home, see www.vacation.com. You can review them online before contacting. Click Interests, select Honeymoons, and you will see the experts.

Comment on this discussion

Related articles