Katie
Devoted August 2019

Anyone else feel this way?

Katie, on September 7, 2018 at 11:55 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 19
Saved Save
I purchased my dress a few weeks ago. I went to one shop and found a beautiful dress and ended up purchasing it then and there. Normally I'm a person who likes to sit and think on things before I make a decision, so nobody was more surprised than me that this happened! Since then, though, I've gone online and looked at the photos of the dress and have become petrified that it looks that way on me, because I thought it looked completely different on me.. Now I'm wishing I had left and tried one more store before deciding. Anyone else have these nerves after ordering? How did it turn out?

19 Comments

• Daria
    VIP January 2019
    Daria ·

I didn't go through this, but the best advice I can give is STOP LOOKING AT DRESSES! You've bought one, so unless you can afford to buy another, there's no need to keep looking. You must have loved it or you wouldn't have bought so quickly. Did you take any pictures you can look at to reassure yourself? Can you share one here for us to see?

• Kristen
    VIP August 2018
    Kristen ·

If you bought it then and there it MUST have looked good on you!

In my experience when the dress is right you KNOW.

Don't stress yourself out looking at pictures because you're right it probably does look different on you - you're not a photo shopped magazine ad!

Trust your gut and congrats on your dress!

• Katie
    Devoted August 2019
    Katie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    I wasn't able to take pictures, the shop doesn't allow it. I could go back and try it on for some reassurance, but it's over an hour away and I'm in school and working full time.
  • FutureMrsKC
    Master January 2019
    FutureMrsKC ·

Totally being honest, I had SEVERE dress regret after buying mine. It didn't even take a full day!

I went with my mom, FMIL and step FMIL to look at dresses, and after a terrible Davids Bridal experience I just picked one of the 7 I tried on because I felt pressured and I felt like I couldn't find or afford what my heart really wanted anyhow. I ordered a dress that all of the moms cried at when I walked out and checked that off of the list.

Later that night, we went to dinner with FH friends and some of the wives were asking to see my dress because they knew I had gone shopping. I showed them a picture and their reactions were not what I expected. They said "That's pretty. Does it make you happy? Is it your dream dress? It looks nice on you."

Needless to say it wasn't the "WOW!" I was expecting, and I honestly had no emotion towards it either but I didn't think I would be emotional anyhow.

I woke up the next morning and scrolled Pinterest looking at the dresses I had saved (bad idea) and realized I didn't try on ONE dress that looked even close to any of my inspiration pictures. I balled my eyes out looking at myself in the dress I bought.

My budget was $800 so I felt like I needed to settle and honestly a lot dresses I tried on really weren't great looking on me. Needless to say, I went back onto the website and saved some dresses within my budget. My mom made a new appointment for just her and I and we went back and I found a dress I felt really beautiful in. I'm really happy I went with my gut and found a new dress but looking at other dresses isn't always the answer. Good luck, OP!

• DC Wife 10.27.18
    Master October 2018
    DC Wife 10.27.18 ·

Stop looking at dresses. As with anything wedding related once I chose I stopped looking unless I absolutely had to. For an example, I chose my centerpiece but when I had to adjust my budget, I looked for another budget friendly option. You will drive yourself crazy if you keep looking at things.

• Kenisha
    Champion June 2019
    Kenisha ·
    That really sucks.

I wouldnt keep looking at dresses if you’ve already picked one.

Every dress looks different on every body.

Just because it looks different on a model doesn’t mean it didn’t look great on you.

• Katie
    Devoted August 2019
    Katie ·
    Sorry if my original post is confusing...I've looked at online pictures of the dress I bought, not other dresses.
  • Katie
    Devoted August 2019
    Katie ·
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for your honesty! That sounds like it was a tough experience for you. Glad you were motivated enough to find something that did make you happy!

My MOH, mom, and FMIL all love it and tell me I looked happier in it than the others, but I didn't think I had that emotional reaction, either.

I haven't looked at others, but the dress I bought gives a much different vibe on the models than I felt with it on me. I will wait and see what it's like when it comes in I guess!
  • Alexandra
    Devoted September 2021
    Alexandra ·
    I feel the same way and I ordered 2 different dresses and I still don’t feel satisfy I keep looking at other dresses and keep asking my self why can I look so beautiful like those dam models. So my husband said if you are not happy with the way you look in the dress because of your weight then loose weight. If after loosing weight you still don’t like the way it looks on you I will buy you another dresss. Keep in mind that is not on our budget! I purchase 2 dress for a total of $3000 I feel like I should of purchased 1 dress for $3000 but a beautiful out of the world dress that I would say yes that is my dress no matter my weight! My husband still said he will work overtime to get me another dress if I loose the weight and still don’t like my dresses.
  • Ashley1luv3
    Expert May 2019
    Ashley1luv3 ·
    I understand how you feel. I ordered my dress last week and it was the complete opposite of what I envisioned myself in. I always thought I would wear a ball gown but I feel in love with the way the mermaid style looks on me. However I can't help but think about the ball gown and I keep looking at pics even tho I hated the way most of the ball gown looked on me. I can't wait to try my dress back on after it comes in and I really hope that eases these second thoughts.
  • Amanda
    Expert August 2019
    Amanda ·
    Congratulations on finding your dress! Everyone told me to stop looking at dresses once I find it. You must have loved it when you bought it. I would remind myself of those aspects of the dress. I’m sure FH will think you look beautiful!!!
  • Brianda
    Dedicated June 2019
    Brianda ·

Have you been looking at photos of the dress on the models or on real brides? I felt like it helped to see how even though real brides had the same dress I will be using they all seemed to make it there own and realized that, that was the dress for me and after that I told my self I need to stop looking at dresses because I knew that was the dress. My bridal store only allowed me to take pictures of my dress after I purchased it because I "technically" owned the dress. I know you said you are pretty busy to go up to the store but if there is a random day you have spare time I would suggest you go and try it on again to reassure your self.

• Santiago/Bowe
    Dedicated June 2019
    Santiago/Bowe ·
    I literally went to 10 bridal shops and still had 4 more to go so that I knew for sure which dress i wanted.
  • MrsV1027
    Master October 2018
    MrsV1027 ·
    View Quoted Comment

It always amazes me when brides get reactions like that when showing people a picture of them in the dress! I get so relieved every time I show someone a picture of me in the dress and their face lights up and they get all gushy about it. Every time I start having dress regret I end up showing someone else the picture to remind myself that it is the one lol. If people had the reaction you were getting I'd be trying to sell it and start over too!

• Kristen
    Savvy April 2019
    Kristen ·
    My dress looks completely different in photos of other people then on myself! You followed a gut decision dont second guess yourself I'm sure you rock it!!
  • A
    Dedicated December 2018
    Amelia ·
    Photos online and taken on cell phones look completely different than in person. The same thing happened to me after I bought my dress. I started panicking that I made a bad decision but when I went back to try it on again, a calm feeling fell over me and I felt just as gorgeous as I did when I first put it on. I had to stop looking at pics because they just don’t do it justice. Stop looking at pics and just remember the feeling you had when you had it on. Your wedding photographer (if you have one) will know just how to photograph you and make it all look great. PLUS everything is different once ur in full hair and makeup
  • Tammy
    Super October 2018
    Tammy ·

YESSSS Dress regret was so strong until my dress came in and I was able to try it on again!!! I never spend that much money on anything (I rarely buy things either usually if I'm spending money it's on my pups haha) so dropping so much money on something I didn't really think long about also factored into it.

When it arrives keep in mind it will need alterations so when I tried it on after it came in I made my mom hold it in, in the back to get the real picture. Nerves have calmed since then and I'm completely happy with it Actually I was just telling FH I'm having withdraw because it's getting alterations currently so I can't just go look at it whenever I want hahaha!!!

Also stop looking at other dresses that can make it worse!

• Lex
    VIP September 2019
    Lex ·
    Stop looking at it on models.
    I bought my dress but didn’t have any pictures of me in it, so I looked on the website. Tbh it looks absolutely horrible on the model, and I thought it would look horrible on me. Then i actually took pictures of me in it, and I love it all over again.
    Just remember how you felt in that dress! You picked it for a reason!
  • M
    Dedicated July 2018
    Mandy ·
    I kind of did this. I only regretted that it was an empire and I worried I would look pregnant. The person who said that you know it looks good and when your there is right. When I tried it on later it looked really good. The flowiness worked super well for my crazy windy beach wedding. It will totally work out!

Comment on this discussion