Bride2b
VIP September 2016

Anybody doing a dessert table?

Bride2b, on October 17, 2015 at 6:18 PM

Posted in Do It Yourself 45

Looking for unconventional ways to replace the traditional wedding cake other than cupcakes. Did anyone do a dessert table? Pies? Cake pops? Pictures please!

Looking for unconventional ways to replace the traditional wedding cake other than cupcakes. Did anyone do a dessert table? Pies? Cake pops? Pictures please!

45 Comments

• Bride2b
    VIP September 2016
    Bride2b ·
    • Flag

@Sarah I love it! Love the ideas of mini pies. I am considering having mini pies on my dessert table Smiley smile

• E
    Dedicated May 2016
    E ·
    • Flag

We're doing a dessert table. I want cake but my fiance wants pie so we're going to have a single tier cake and a banana cream pie (his favorite) that will each have cake toppers and we will use them for the cake cutting. Then we'll have a few more cakes and pies in different flavors and some cookies. My parents make the best chocolate covered pretzels so I might ask them to make a batch and I'm going to ask a friend who is vegan and a great baker to make a cake for our vegan guests.

• Bride2b
    VIP September 2016
    Bride2b ·
    • Flag

@LSBR - Sounds fantastic! I totally have fallen in love with this dessert table idea =)

• GrayCatVintage
    Master October 2015
    GrayCatVintage ·
    • Flag

We did a cutter cake, cake balls in 5 flavors, and Wick's Sugar Cream Pie (unless you are from Indiana you probably have no idea what this is). Honestly and to my surprise, the pie went first - as in the first 3 tables blew through all that pie. We had 240 cake balls and 6 pies cut into 8 slices and that pie was gone.

• Bride2b
    VIP September 2016
    Bride2b ·
    • Flag

@GrayCatVintage - Love your cake. Adorable. Everything in your dessert table pic works so well. Fabulous set up!

• mimitrue
    Master January 2016
    mimitrue ·
    • Flag

I don't have pictures yet because our wedding is in January but we are doing a dessert table with fruit tarts, eclairs, cheesecake, macaroons and cake (from a sheet cake). We didn't want the traditional wedding cake either, plus it offers more choices to your guests.

• Rebecca C.
    Expert August 2016
    Rebecca C. ·
    • Flag

We are doing a cake and a dessert table. Probably cookies, cannolis, and some traditional Polish desserts for FH's family. A friend of mine at her wedding last year did a small single tier for cutting, 2 flavors of cake pops for everyone, and then a candy bar.

• RJmargo
    Master May 2016
    RJmargo ·
    • Flag

We are doing a dessert table. It's part of what our venue offers. It will have 4-5 desserts including cannolis, cookie pies, fruit, and probably seasonal dessert. We are doing cupcakes for FH and I for the cake cutting ceremony and then giving out cupcakes as a favor for everyone else.

• Kris
    VIP October 2015
    Kris ·
    • Flag

Were doing a dessert table with cakes, cheesecakes, pastries, chocolate fountain, and ice cream

• Imtheone4Him
    Master September 2015
    Imtheone4Him ·
    • Flag

We had a desert bar, it went over excellent. We dont regret not having a cake, but we are not cake people either.

• Future Mrs Madison
    Expert December 2015
    Future Mrs Madison ·
    • Flag

We're doing a traditional wedding cake with red velvet cupcakes, bread pudding shooters & banana pudding shooters.

• Deepsoul
    Devoted April 2016
    Deepsoul ·
    • Flag

We are! my Jamaican FH isn't to fond of sweets (frosting).

• M
    Super May 2016
    Mal-Pal ·
    • Flag

I live in a place where the first thing people do when you get engaged is say, "what can I do to help with the wedding?" So we're doing a table full of "family specialty" desserts for either of our family members who want to contribute. It also helps people feel included without getting too many "cooks in the kitchen" (pun intended) for all the other stuff. Also, we're doing an ice cream Sunday bar. Smiley smile

• Jennifer
    VIP July 2016
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

Our venue, depending on which buffet we get, will have the choice of one or two of the following. I'm not sure if my mom will insist on a wedding cake, or something specific for my step dad (lactose allergic)... But I haven't gone to do a tasting or talked to the chef yet, so not sure what we're going to go with.

Sliced Chocolate Cake – Sliced Cheesecake – Neapolitan Minis – Carrot Cake Minis – Cheesecake Minis – Cream Puffs – Éclairs- Cut Fruit

• Jaime
    Savvy February 2016
    Jaime ·
    • Flag

I was definitely looking into into a dessert table, alongside a smaller cake...

• amytherese
    Super July 2016
    amytherese ·
    • Flag

We are planning a cheesecake table. We found an amazing baker that does cheesecke bites in fabulous flavors. So we'll have a display of about 400 tiny cheesecakes! We will also do a large cheesecake to cut.

• FutureMrsForte
    Devoted February 2016
    FutureMrsForte ·
    • Flag

I am doing one in addition to a cake! rice krispie treats, lemon squares, brownies, cupcakes, multiple cookie types, ect. I am strictly using recipes that have been passed down from both sides of the family!

• Jennifer
    VIP July 2016
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag

Wow... hadn't realized I'd already responded to this... so double post... kinda. Sorry.

• MzRosaLu
    Master July 2016
    MzRosaLu ·
    • Flag

A dessert table is included with our catering package, but we are still also having a wedding cake. The dessert table will have cannolis, mini cheesecakes, and Italian cookies.

• JaKLyn
    Master November 2015
    JaKLyn ·
    • Flag

Along with our wedding and grooms cake I'm making cookies and kolache.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics